SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just when you thought Facebook couldn't get creepier
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just when you thought Facebook couldn't get creepier Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I used to use FB as a way to stay in touch with people. I enjoyed hearing from old friends, former students, and the occasional "feel good" story.

As I interacted more with FB the more I realized I was becoming embroiled in nonsense or worse and not by participation! Very much like the "news" FB revealed itself to be a gaping Hole of Suck.

Some people keep FB at an arms length and interact very little with it. That was my plan as well. Then FB just seemed to INTRUDE. That's when I quit.

SigForum is all the social media I want to need.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
How would the bank know if their customers are Facebook members? Facebook doesn't have users SSNs or even addresses necessarily on file to compare to. Who is going to make sure they only get Facebook members account information and how would they do it?

Remember that computers, especially big, fast computers, can just crunch data all day, 24/7/365. "Profiles" can be built by gathering and correlating tidbits of information. A motivated person could probably put together a pretty detailed profile of someone just by looking at a history of sigforum posts and recording little tibits from things you "leak" out that you think are unimportant. "I saw on my daughter's Facebook page...." ; etc.

So nowadays the only questions are "Who is motivated to investigate whom?" and "How much money are they willing to spend."

Political campaigns are obviously motivated to profile EVERYONE; and how much do you think "control of the United States" is worth ?

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post