SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just when you thought Facebook couldn't get creepier
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just when you thought Facebook couldn't get creepier Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted
Per WSJ: Facebook has asked large U.S. banks to share detailed financial information about customers as it seeks to boost user engagement
quote:
By Emily Glazer, Deepa Seetharaman and AnnaMaria Andriotis
Updated Aug. 6, 2018 1:50 p.m. ET
Facebook Inc. wants your financial data.

The social-media giant has asked large U.S. banks to share detailed financial information about their customers, including card transactions and checking-account balances, as part of an effort to offer new services to users.

Facebook increasingly wants to be a platform where people buy and sell goods and services, besides connecting with friends. The company over the past year asked JPMorgan Chase & Co., Wells Fargo & Co., Citigroup Inc. and U.S. Bancorp to discuss potential offerings it could host for bank customers on Facebook Messenger, said people familiar with the matter.

As part of the proposed deals, Facebook asked banks for information about where its users are shopping with their debit and credit cards outside of purchases they make using Facebook Messenger, the people said.

Not just no, but hell no!

Posts: 15158 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
FB is corrupt and unprincipled. There is no end to the intrusion it will impose on its members. Wait until it finds a way to snoop on nonmembers....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
What could possibly go wrong?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They are going to find themselves the subject of choking regulation if they don't cool it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Anyone that is associated with this cult needs an intervention. If I needed any more incentive not to join (I don’t), this would do it for me. Fuck FB.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They are going to find themselves the subject of choking regulation if they don't cool it.

Does the current congress show any sign of regulating anything? Most of them don't even understand facebook or what it does.

My money is on 'Nothing will happen at all.'

Posts: 4090 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If you have been browsing the patent office website lately, you'll find that Facebook is worse than this.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Sooo glsd I said NO to this invasive device years ago!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Facebook can ASK all they want. If my BANK decides to give them that info then I'll be looking for a new bank (like a nice, small credit union).

Posts: 263 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont know if any bank would be stupid enough to agree to this Roll Eyes

It would be a death wish

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Anyone that is associated with this cult needs an intervention.
A smidge over the top, wouldn't you say?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Facebook trying to compete with / take queues from China and implement it's own social credit system (social ranking that ties into your financials I believe - like a social credit score)?

Posts: 256 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
Facebook trying to compete with / take queues from China and implement it's own social credit system (social ranking that ties into your financials I believe - like a social credit score)?

It’s having an effect at my job. They’ve incorporated their own Fakebook app, with requirements from all of us to sign up for it and get notifications. And adding peer reviews as part of your yearly review for the social experiment. It’s out of fucking control. I heard someone say it is the worst thing since high fructose corn syrup. Agreed. I don’t have a problem with an app for people who want to air their dirty laundry and tie it to their real name. I have a problem with the privacy, or lack thereof, the selling of data to corps, and the overall importance it is playing in our society.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Anyone that is associated with this cult needs an intervention.
A smidge over the top, wouldn't you say?

Perhaps, perhaps not. Definitely tongue in cheek, but still applicable in that everyone knows what they are up to (to some degree) but still stay.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a Facebookaholic and have been clean for going on 6 weeks and my brain is no longer cluttered with useless drivel and I can concentrate on more important things.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have avoided being part of this abomination of a "social media" platform. Never been on it and never will be. If I want to communicate with you or something I have your phone number and already talk to you. If I haven't had communication with you in years then I'm not missing anything and don't care about your kids, car, or vacation

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Most of my family and friends think I'm paranoid when I tell them how intrusive Facebook is and Alexa is doing more listening than they think.

Whenever the discussion comes up in conversation I state my case as to why I have never been on it and never will be my wife will always tell everyone "He's not on Facebook but then he's always asking me what's going on!

Which is a total fabrication. I never do because if there is something I need to know I already know. The rest I couldn't care less about.
I've never challenged her when she says this in front of friends or family it just ain't worth it but I've always been more amused by it than anything because we both know it's not true so why she feels the need to say it is a bit of a puzzler to me.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The ideal way would be the data would be aggregated into groups of people with certain balances, transactions, etc. FB could then offer these groups for targeted marketing with the individual identifiers masked. But, of course, what are the chances the the individual records will be bared.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20080 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but wouldn't the banks sharing that information violate BSA privledge/rule? Maybe Zuckerberg could sign them up under parasitic privledge.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
How would the bank know if their customers are Facebook members? Facebook doesn't have users SSNs or even addresses necessarily on file to compare to. Who is going to make sure they only get Facebook members account information and how would they do it?

Posts: 3477 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post