SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My brother is awesome. I was given a work of art that completely caught me off guard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My brother is awesome. I was given a work of art that completely caught me off guard Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
The timing in which I received this art is just beautiful. The 2021 British GP is coming up this Sunday!!!!! Cool

Backstory:
It is the year 2020, my brother was bored out of his mind during day 200 something of “two weeks to flatten the curve” and so he decided to take up painting. Jokingly I sent him a this pic and said why don’t you paint one of the most glorious recent moments in MoroGP history where David kicked in Goliath’s teeth after being thrown against a wall. I sent him this image and said “can you put them a little closer together?”

It was the 2019 British Grand Prix. One of the poorest ehh I suppose you could call them one of the “least well funded teams” (Suzuki) had returned to racing at the top level in 2015 and had a slowly been improving their machine year after year. They were now a contender. They returned to racing at the top level right around the time I begin riding motos again. Being a Suzuki rider they were/are my team I root for bigly.

Rather than go out and buy talent Suzuki decided to recruit an up and coming rider from the minor leagues and allow him to develop and improve along with the bike. This strategy proved to be an amazing decision and would win them the world championship the following year. But that’s another story. Back on track. It was the final laps of the British GP and Suzuki’s rider was battling with the Michael Jordan of the sport, 8 time world champion Marc Marquez.

If a picture is with a thousand words a brief video that captures the highlights of one of the most amazing races I’ve ever seen (maybe my #1 race to watch) this brief video does it better than I could ever hope to explain it to you.

** Dorna acts like Nazis with their content if you click the “watch it on YouTube” link it should work. I’m sorry for the hoops you have to jump through** for what it’s worth the video is amazing and worth watching if you like to see an underdog win spectacularly. Cool
https://youtu.be/u1O-tOp0m-Q

Fast forward to the summer of 2021. It was t he first time I saw my brother in at least two years. We are very close but both have insanely busy schedules that never seem to allow us to hang out. When I finally got a chance to see him he gives me this. I was in complete shock. This is hands down one of my most prized possessions I own. To me it is priceless. The inscription on the back made me chuckle. I am so lucky to have such a fantastic and talented brother.

“To my brother Dan AKA HaWz, from your brother a John AKA brother Maynard, in this year of Coronavirus 2020.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
That's Cool! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8937 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Was it hidden under a Dogs Playing Poker print canvas?

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
RichardC, I subjected the paining to all sorts of analysis and have not seen any dogs playing poker yet. I do however love the hidden symbolism in this painting. The blue bike (Suzuki) is chasing the light and the following year would see the hard work, blood sweat and tears pay off in their first world championship in two decades.

Notice the sun fading on the Repsol Honda as the team that has won too damn much as they begin to embark on their slow but inevitable fade into obscurity. Big Grin Delve even deeper into the symbolism (intentional or not) there is a red bike (Ducati) hot on the Honda’s heels in third place and hungry for glory. Their title drought will soon be over I believe.

Now for the best part. See what looks like a green bike that’s sort of out of focus? Kawasaki’s gang colors are green. Will they ever rejoin the fray and throw down with the best at the top tier? I hope the answer is yes. I’ve always been fond of team green, my first ever moto was a street legal two stroke Kawasaki dual sport. I would adore seeing team green once again compete against the best at the absolute pinnacle of Motorsports.

Good art is meant to evoke emotions. I am quite fond of the emotions, symbolism and overall aesthetic properties of this art I have been given.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great gift!

Thank you for sharing it with us along with the personal story, anecdotes and the video!

I also like how he has the front wheels of the two lead bikes canted out slightly reflective of the counter-steering input.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Dogs Playing Poker remark is a movie reference... A very good movie in my opinion, The Accountant.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
Dogs Playing Poker remark is a movie reference... A very good movie in my opinion, The Accountant.

I was thinking Thomas Crown Affair (1999)
https://youtu.be/6Hg5R2_stKA

I have The Accountant on my list to watch.

Posts: 7370 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
I was going to say something about that scene, but I don't want to spoil the Accountant for you.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I was actually thinking The Thomas Crown Affair too which happens to be one of my absolute favorite films.

I’ll be watching The Accountant very soon as I don’t like to be unaware or ignorant of pop culture so long as I still maintain at least a good decade behind whatever is trendy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
That's nice where are you going to hang it?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
A very special gift! Always enjoy it!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38701 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
RideWV, what and excellent question, as luck would have it in their inaugural year of returning to “the greatest show on earth” yours truly actually won the 30 years of GSX-R sweepstakes. (Seruously). This is probably another reason I’m such a rabid Suzuki fan.

Because of my rabid and dogged support for team blue and that gorgeous blue GSX-RR prototype Grand Prix race bike I received a rather exciting email one day. It said “congratulations on winning the grand prize in the 30 years of GSX-R! Drawing” I nearly had a heart attack. For more than a brief moment I allowed my imagination to run wild. Did I win a fricking motorcycle!!?? I won’t lie it was one of the biggest rushes I’ve ever felt in my life when I read the email.

Reality check:
Ok, no sadly I didn’t win a bright blue and neon yellow GSX-R1000R in those gorgeous MotoGP colors but I won something I absolutely cherish, I won some artwork.

This hangs in my guitar/moto/my personal space shrine to all things AWSOME and my new painting will soon join it and be replacing or displacing I probably should say the old pic of me and my girlfriend (now wife) sitting in a gorgeous 3 series manual drop top that used to occupy the prime wall of real estate.

The 30 years of GSX-R grand prize:

Hand drawn renderings of the evolution of the GSX-R as well as the new MotoGP bike that uses a inline four intentionally because of its similarity to the street bike. (Exquisite marketing Suzuki!!!)

From the race track to your garage. Cool what a beautiful message.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Perfect!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Superb!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I sent my brother this pic today and said “any interest in painting Rins, Marquez (Alex) and Mir at Aragón”? He responded “where the heck are they racing!? Ancient Egypt?” Big Grin

This track in Spain really does create some spectacular pictures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~