SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New car buying
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New car buying Login/Join 
posted
I have purchased quite a few cars over the years, and will probably buy a Honda Accord. I just read about the dropping of the 2.0 turbo. My car will not be an EV.
There are a few cars on the lot but not many. How much are the dealerships willing to take off the sticker price? Any suggestions and ideas are most welcome.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I use CarGurus.com to get an idea of where the market is on cars. Every tool will be a little different. We bought a new Highlander last June and paid under MSRP but it took some work.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The new Accord is the first year of a new generation, I wouldn't expect much off MSRP, possibly even some dealers running markups.

I'd start putting feelers out to some dealers & get some preliminary stuff in the works based on what they have going.

Maybe some chance of finding N.O.S. or CPO 2022 with the 2.0T that they want to get off the lot to make room for 23s.

Not sure where you are, but around here, there's probably at least 1/2 dozen Honda dealers within 30min of my house. So I've got that benefit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Many Honda dealers as with another dealer were asking over MSRP a few months ago. I would shop around and talk to a few different dealers.

I helped a friend a few months ago buy a Honda CRV. The closest dealer wanted $5000 over MSRP. After an internet search, I found a dealer selling for MSRP or a little under.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just went through this with several dealers in my area. Things are softening up a little but all of them quit negotiating at around $1,800 over sticker. Right or wrong, their position was that if we wouldn't pay that someone else would. The typical schtick was that they were charging sticker price but they added to that a "protection package" and dealer fee that totaled about $4,000. That's what we negotiated down to $1,800.

We started this process last November and the same dealers would not budge at all off the $4,000, which is why I say things are softening up. They said take it or leave it, I left, and they never called again so it appears they were serious.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I was looking at a new Honda Pilot and the dealer had $3,500 of add-ons attached to the msrp. I have a Costco membership, so I gave them a call and an hour later the salesperson called and said they removed all of the add-ons. Costco doesn't allow dealerships they deal with to add any mark ups.
Unfortunately, that may not be the case now. I was looking again last summer and due to the shortages, dealerships we're refusing to drop any of their add-ons.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3531 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Having just shopped for a new truck, most of the vehicles on the lots will have a ton of mark ups....or more for some brands. With a Honda, you are really lucky IF you can get them down to MSRP.

I found a 2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road that was scheduled to arrive and put money down on it. I got a great trade in, just a couple grand off what I originally paid for it, four years ago. Picked up the new truck and like it....Tacos are the AR15 of trucks, lots of mods out there for it. I installed a front anytime camera on it and ditch lights.

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always shop for cars at the end of the month and the better is at the end of the quarter.

IF they need to make a sale to reach a goal, they are more likely to deal.

With the internet is easy to check all the dealers in a region.

Honda runs 8 US regions.

Has about 1000 dealers in the US.

How much time do you want to spend to save a few thousand?

There was about a 3 grand spread between dealers when I bought my Pilot with my trade at the time.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I think you still have a year maybe two before they start going under MSRP again. When I bought my Honda Pilot in 2017 they offered 0.9% financing and I got 7,000 under sticker. Right now Supply hasn't caught up so they have no motivation to Discount vehicles although with high interest rates sales will start falling.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Home sales are falling fast with rates going up. I’d have to think it’s the same with cars, slower though.

If you need one, you need one. I’m a fair way out, eventually the market will adjust.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Right now Honda has the lowest inventory of all manufacturers nationwide. They are closely followed by Toyota, they both have issues with production numbers worldwide.

You may want to shop around and place your order in advance, on the lot vehicles get more markup, dealers tend to add on things like paint protection, etc to pad the margin on vehicles on the lots. Ordering up front and telling them no on those "products" is important.

Drove by the Honda lot in Daytona, huge dealer, less than 20 new cars showroom and lot, have no clue how they are surviving...

Think you'll see a lot of Honda dealers close from lack of inventory.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It's been about 5 months now since I bought my Honda Ridgeline but their deal was MSRP plus $490 doc fee. What helped though was they gave me $1,100 over average condition trade-in price (almost clean condition trade price which my truck wasn't). And they were willing to order the exact truck I wanted.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Salesman “Here’s the car you ordered but you owe us $25 for the whitewall tires.”

Dad "I didn’t order whitewall tires, put the regular tires on”

Salesman “It’s 5 o’clock and all of the mechanics are gone. Do you want the car or not?”

And that’s the story of how my parents wound up with a brand new 1963 Volkswagen Beetle with whitewall tires.

Sometimes, if you want the vehicle now, you just have to pay the man.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Were they the wide whitewalls with the fender skirts?

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post

Don't seem particularly wide and no fender skirts.

I've got stories of how I got good deals on every car I've ever purchased except for the last two. I paid list and used every tactic I've used in the past just to get them down to list.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have a 2018 Accord Touring with the 2.0 turbo. I've seen the new models, and I must say they look better than the previous generation; but if I didn't want a hybrid, and wanted an Accord, I'd look for a 2018-22 model with the 2.0 turbo. It will probably be the best ICE "family sedan" ever built. I've rethought my plans to trade for a newer model, or to trade up to a Ridgeline, since my "old" car with 46,000 miles is now so desirable.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't seem particularly wide and no fender skirts.

I've got stories of how I got good deals on every car I've ever purchased except for the last two. I paid list and used every tactic I've used in the past just to get them down to list.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for taking the time to post it. I drove a used 68 bug until 1984. No whitewalls for me. We did have a 54 Mercury with gigantic whitewalls and fender skirts.

posted Hide Post
Bought a Tacoma last June. I found a dealer who would accept MSRP, but there was a two month wait. Got $1000.00 less than I paid for my 2017 Corolla, though. I considered it a cheap rental.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That’s funny. The picture was taken just before they traded the 1963 Beetle for a new 1968 Beetle. The other car in the picture is either a 1966 or 1967 Pontiac Tempest. You can just make out the 326 emblem on the front fender. I really wish I could remember what it was like driving around in those cars, but I’m the one in the blankets.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Right now Honda has the lowest inventory of all manufacturers nationwide. They are closely followed by Toyota, they both have issues with production numbers worldwide.

You may want to shop around and place your order in advance, on the lot vehicles get more markup, dealers tend to add on things like paint protection, etc to pad the margin on vehicles on the lots. Ordering up front and telling them no on those "products" is important.

Drove by the Honda lot in Daytona, huge dealer, less than 20 new cars showroom and lot, have no clue how they are surviving...

Think you'll see a lot of Honda dealers close from lack of inventory.

One of the Honda dealers here, a long time dealer, is building a brand new facility. Rumor is that Honda is forcing them to do this. The project is slow moving, and again the rumor is that Honda has changed the required building style at least once.

I can't imagine the cost of acquiring the land and building the physical facility to the latest Honda standards and not be able to get a bunch of cars in stock to pay for this.

Same family also owns the Lexus dealership across town, they've been in business for many decades, so maybe they have a pile of money stashed back, who knows.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post