SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The things we do for our pets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The things we do for our pets Login/Join 
posted
2 days now and I have carried and helped my dog up the stairs, down the stairs and going outside with the 2 stairs out the back door.
He can walk but it's labored and it's his back hips. He will be 10 in February.
I hate thinking about what I might have to do.
He was a rescue that was tied to a tree for 4 years outside and I'm sure that didn't help his start in life. He's been my daughter's protector when she lived here and I was on 2nd shift. She still comes to visit and Diesel loves her. He's now my protector, grilling partner, companion and friend since it's just me at the house now.
Just needed to put words on something.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It is tough. I know it does not help. But you are not alone. Bless you for taking diesel in and providing him with a safe and loving home. Sincerely, orc

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
We went through the same thing with our Emma. It is very painful to watch but when the time came we knew and we even thought she knew. She was a 90 lb pit who I carried off the deck and back up for 6 months. When it was time she kind of let us know. We used Lap of Love when it was time and it was the best experience for what it was. It is always hard but I hope for the best for you.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
We went through the same thing with our Emma. It is very painful to watch but when the time came we knew and we even thought she knew. She was a 90 lb pit who I carried off the deck and back up for 6 months. When it was time she kind of let us know. We used Lap of Love when it was time and it was the best experience for what it was. It is always hard but I hope for the best for you.

Thank you.
I looked up Lap of Love and there's one close to me as in like 10 minutes away.
The in home euthanasia may be the route.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry. Interesting timing on this post. We are worrying today about our guy getting up and down the stairs.

Your pup is in our thoughts

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Any way you can build a ramp for Diesel to get up/down the landings? Putting skateboard tape or another tractable surface can help.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by katndog:
I am so sorry. Interesting timing on this post. We are worrying today about our guy getting up and down the stairs.

Your pup is in our thoughts

As is your pet.
Lap of Love has been contacted and they are coming tomorrow. I called my daughter and she is driving home tomorrow to be here for the in home euthanasia.
Not going to lie, tears are flowing.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Have you had him checked out by the vet? Could be Hip Dysplasia, or some other/similar type issue. This is common is many breeds. My family had a Black Lab (Major) during my youth that had similar issues. The vet gave him some version of steroids that did the trick, and he was up and around in a day or so. Get him checked out if you haven't done so yet!

To add some more detail, the first time it happened our Lab, it was kinda out of the blue. Everything seemed just like normal and then one day he couldn't get up. We were freaked out as kids as he seemed to be in fair bit of discomfort as well. We were all quite relieved when Major came back from the vet (might have been a day or so later, not sure) as regular his tail waggin' self. As I recall, we had to take him to the vet for this issue two or three times over a period of several years. At the first instance Major was around 85# and seemingly in his prime. He seemed to lose weight and mobility over time in his hind quarters after that, but was undeterred in enjoying a life as a VERY Well loved member of our family. He lived to 16.5 years and I still miss him. Major ALWAYS wanted to be around people, but one night I found him alone in my brothers room. He was lying on a beanbag chair and was looking quite sad. He seemed tired and didn't want to get up. That night he let himself out of the house, took the long walk and never came home. Frown

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Have you had him checked out by the vet? Could be Hip Displasia, or some other/similar type issue. This is common is many breeds. My family had a Black Lab (Major) during my youth that had similar issues. The vet gave him some version of steroids that did the trick, and he was up and around in a day or so. Get him checked out if you haven't done so yet!

To add some more detail, the first time it happened our Lab, it was kinda out of the blue. Everything seemed just like normal and then one day he couldn't get up. We were freaked out as kids as he seemed to be in fair bit of discomfort as well. We were all quite relieved when Major came back from the vet (might have been a day or so later, not sure) as regular his tail waggin' self. As I recall, we had to take him to the vet for this issue two or three times over a period of several years. At the first instance Major was around 85# and seemingly in his prime. He seemed to lose weight and mobility over time in his hind quarters, but was undeterred in enjoying a life as a VERY Well loved member of our family. He lived to 16.5 years and I still miss him. Major ALWAYS wanted to be around people, but one night I found him alone in my brothers room. He was lying on a beanbag chair and was looking quite sad. He seemed tired and didn't want to get up. That night he let himself out of the house, took the long walk and never came home. Frown

He's been to the vet and they know about it. Prescribed medicine for him but it's not really working anymore.
For right now, I'm making him as comfortable as I can and sitting next to him on the couch.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Sorry to hear that...Hopefully it's Cheeseburgers tonight for your grilling partner. Frown

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^Hopefully it's Cheeseburgers tonight…. Frown

Haha! I like that idea!

War Eagle!

Posts: 129 | Location: Alabama | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^Sorry to hear that...Hopefully it's Cheeseburgers tonight for your grilling partner. Frown

Thank you.
Ribeye steaks tonight. My daughter has decided to come home today instead of tomorrow. She's taking tomorrow off as am I so we can be here with him all day.
Not a whole steak but he'll get the cap.
She'll be here in about 2 hours and then I'll go get some nice Ribeyes.
I have also called the rescue that I got him from as I know the people personally and they will be tomorrow as well. They are very saddened but know that I gave him a great home.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your buddy.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your companion.
I have had to do the same for three dogs and tears were flowing then and when I read this thread.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers sent. Just 2 days ago our "Harley" (14 1/2yrs old) crossed the rainbow bridge with her vets help. Her medical was about 1 months time but was fading fast. Friday morning her for a ride while doing some errands had some french fries, chicken tenders, and 1 hour later a small cup of vanilla ice cream. Did not want to do it but deceided it best to let her go now before rather than later. .... Posted her passing here and the response brought a heart felt thank you to he wife and granddaughter who was with us when she crossed the rainbow bridge. ...Be strong and keep the good memories flowing......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear. It's one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with. Prayers for for all.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
My 12yo Pom, Blind, Diabetic, Two ACL's repaired needs HELP getting out to do his thing. Every time I carry him down the stairs I sniff his belly and it makes all my problems go away - Heart-wrenching times.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Maybe my attitude will change when I get to that point, but I want to be sensitive to my dogs' quality of life.

It's kind of hard to let nature take its course now a days since our dogs aren't living in the wild where nature does take its course.

But I am reminded of the things I do for my dogs every time I bend down to bag their poop on our walks or wipe up their barf from the floor when they're feeling sick.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
wipe up their barf
Frequent occurrence with cats. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
When my GSD developed serious hip trouble I got her a folding ramp to help her get up into my truck. Worked like a charm once she figured out that it wasn't blocking the way and she could walk on it. Something like that might help with the stairs, depending on how many there are.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post