SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The things we do for our pets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The things we do for our pets Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Op, when I was a teen, dad went out of town and our lab mix got where he couldn’t stand to go pee. I picked him up several times and carried him outside to go and he wouldn’t.

I went and dug a hole in the rocky NC mountain clay…got my dads 22 revolver and got him outside and standing/walking…mom saw me outside 5e window and came out to see what I was doing. She knew he wasn’t acting right etc…

She had me put him in the back of the truck and took him to the vet. She came back later and the dog was a little better, but the next day he was back to normal. She told me the vet gave him a shot and he had a swollen prostate.

Dad came back a day later and asked what the hole was about..he was more pissed that mom spent $200 on his dog than the fact I was gonna put him down.

So, take him to the vet before you do anything else and find out. He lived four more years..he was 10 when this happened…I’ve often thought about my quick decision to what I almost did, and it has made me re-think the decision I’ve had to make with other pets.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

So, take him to the vet before you do anything else and find out.

He's been to the vet. This was diagnosed last year about this time. He's been on Novox, glucosamine and dog CBD oil.
It helped last year but I have noticed a decline the past month and he can barely walk.
I blame most of this for being chained to a tree and being outside for 4 years before he was rescued. He had problems when I adopted him including being heartworm positive, having an infection on his genitals and being malnourished.
I got him in 2016 when he was 4 and everything cleared up after time but the vet did tell me then that he could have problems down the road.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry. You have my condolences.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, sorry to hear about your companion.

The room is always dusty when I read about our pets last days. I had to have our vet put down our lab in 2015 and our 2nd lab in 2020. I think about them daily. They were both 15 years old.

Still can’t think about another pet right now. Maybe be next year.

Posts: 40 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: September 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences. A good friend of mine just put down his Dutch Shepard 2 weeks ago for similar reasons.

When quality of life has dropped off the cliff it's the right thing to do.

Posts: 798 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a possible solution to your buddy's problem with stairs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX-J0ldFxtA&t=28s

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He crossed the Rainbow bridge yesterday afternoon.
While I can't say it was nice, it was better than me having to drive him to the vets. The vet came here to my home and the whole procedure was done in the comfort of my house.
The food pan and water bowl are still where they always are as is his 5 toys scattered on the floor. Probably stay there for a while I would imagine.
When I left for work this morning there was no "See you when I get home" uttered to him and when I get home there will be no one to greet me.
I've been told today to get a cat or another dog but I honestly can't. For right now and probably for a while, there will be no pets.
What breaks my heart the most is that he knew. His eyes told me everything. My daughter was here, the rescue association person was here and the vet. I'd like to think the look on his face was relief and love.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
This happened with my puggle when he was 10. I forget what the Vet prescribed but it was an anti inflammatory and while it didn't completely alleviate the issue, it allowed my dog to be able to walk for another 5 years. Sadly we had to put him down last Tuesday but that is 5 more years we got as we could not have let him struggle like that. When he lost his appetite is when we knew something was really wrong. Turns out he had a massive tumor on his spleen. Prognosis was not good. I agree with you, I could tell from his eyes that he was ready. One of the hardest things I have had to do. Hard for me but I knew it was the right thing for him.

On a more light hearted side, my pitbull loves the recliner I sit in. He will come and stare at me until I get up and let him have it. Really quite hilarious. I wouldn't get up if it was my wife Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5908 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
I had this issue with my GSD he was 95 pounds and when he passed was maybe 60..I had him since he was born, he was my best friend..I knew he was going but I culd not bring myself to put him down..we sat with him for @ 30 hrs till he passed, he passed in my wife's lap..I miss him terribly..His sister is still here, she is 9 now and she is starting to show her age as well.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
This happened with my puggle when he was 10. I forget what the Vet prescribed but it was an anti inflammatory and while it didn't completely alleviate the issue, it allowed my dog to be able to walk for another 5 years. Sadly we had to put him down last Tuesday but that is 5 more years we got as we could not have let him struggle like that. When he lost his appetite is when we knew something was really wrong. Turns out he had a massive tumor on his spleen. Prognosis was not good. I agree with you, I could tell from his eyes that he was ready. One of the hardest things I have had to do. Hard for me but I knew it was the right thing for him.

On a more light hearted side, my pitbull loves the recliner I sit in. He will come and stare at me until I get up and let him have it. Really quite hilarious. I wouldn't get up if it was my wife Wink

You have my deepest sympathy on your puggle.
Last paragraph has me smiling and thank you.
Diesel was a pitbull and I have 2 recliners at home. One was his and the other is mine.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
I had this issue with my GSD he was 95 pounds and when he passed was maybe 60..I had him since he was born, he was my best friend..I knew he was going but I culd not bring myself to put him down..we sat with him for @ 30 hrs till he passed, he passed in my wife's lap..I miss him terribly..His sister is still here, she is 9 now and she is starting to show her age as well.

I'm very sorry and I'm sure that wasn't easy.
I could no longer watch him barely be able to walk around and even my daughter agreed with my decision.
It was hard watching the procedure but like you, he was home, comfortable and surrounded by people who loved him.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Please accept my condolences joatmonv. I truly know how you feel & I'm sorry for your loss.

We've used Lap of Love several times now & we'll not do it any other way. They're compassionate, and caring. We felt it's been the best for our boys who've passed because they're other fur-siblings are there with them & bear witness. As well as not traumatizing your boy by taking him to a strange place on top of all else.

Be assured he has many friends over there welcoming him home.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Please accept my condolences joatmonv. I truly know how you feel & I'm sorry for your loss.

We've used Lap of Love several times now & we'll not do it any other way. They're compassionate, and caring. We felt it's been the best for our boys who've passed because they're other fur-siblings are there with them & bear witness. As well as not traumatizing your boy by taking him to a strange place on top of all else.

Be assured he has many friends over there welcoming him home.

Thank you Vinny and you're 100% right about Lap of Love.
The woman veterinarian was compassionate, caring and professional. I will be recommending them to anyone who may want their pet's passing to be at home.