SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about bench top drill presses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about bench top drill presses Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I need a bench top drill press. I don't have the room for a floor standing type or want the expense. I've never owned one before but I now I need one. Any ideas, advise, opinions, warnings, tips & tricks, maintenance thoughts, etc would be great.

I need to drill wood and some mild thin metal, nothing hard or difficult. I might be able to do a bit of sanding with it. I need better accuracy and depth control, so a bench top it will be.

I require a tilting bed thing up to 45 degrees. I've noticed the $100-ish ones only have a 2-inchish spindle chuck travel. $150-ish gets a better 2.5 inch depth of travel. Looks like I will be spending $150-ish.

For $163-ish I can get a WEN 10 inch with with a lever control automatic speed control instead of having to move the belt pulley position to change speeds.

I'm not set on that model, I just think it seems pretty good. I did look at the Ryobi for $129 and it does have a 3 year warranty, seems like it might be adequate but just barely.

My budget is $150-160 or so.

Thank you for your responses.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
cant beat the price
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H...comp#customerReviews

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed, the WEN seems to be the model many choose and are happy with.

Posts: 2370 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene: I might be able to do a bit of sanding with it.

Be a little careful with that. Side load can mess up the bearings pretty quickly, especially on a lighter duty bench top design.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Shop around locally or on eBay for an older used one that is American made. The new smaller models are all crappy Chinese stuff.

Posts: 9536 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can offer regarding benchtop drill presses is a thought on available height. I learned (in an example of bad timing) that mine won't open up enough to chuck up a spade bit and still fit the darned 4x4 underneath it.

Oops. Frown

God bless America.

Posts: 13517 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

Be a little careful with that. Side load can mess up the bearings pretty quickly, especially on a lighter duty bench top design.

It also tends to make the chuck fall out.

On a drill press, the chuck isn't really attached to the machine at all, the chuck has a tapered shank that locks into a tapered socket on the drill press spindle with friction. Enough sideways load can release the chuck.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
My budget is $150-160 or so.

You will probably have it for the rest of your life. Spend more than you think you can afford.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Shop around locally or on eBay for an older used one that is American made. The new smaller models are all crappy Chinese stuff.
This is good advice and you may well find a great deal on a small machine which is much more industrious. Clamp you work pieces secure and locate stop blocks by C clamp to prevent the work piece from spinning, causing injury.

Posts: 17908 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Last week I seriously used my bench top drill press for the first time (had done stuff with it before but not an entire furniture project...) and found out it's too short. Wish I had a bigger one so I could drill into the ends of longish boards - not just into the sides...

Trying to assemble something that calls for dowells/pegs and having perfectly straight holes on each board is a must. Hard to get it right with my handheld drill...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Last week I seriously used my bench top drill press for the first time (had done stuff with it before but not an entire furniture project...) and found out it's too short. Wish I had a bigger one so I could drill into the ends of longish boards - not just into the sides...

Trying to assemble something that calls for dowells/pegs and having perfectly straight holes on each board is a must. Hard to get it right with my handheld drill...

There's a thing you can buy that is sort of like a little handheld drill press that you hook up to your handheld drill. You end up with something like a cross between a drill and a plunge router. I haven't ever actually used one, but it seems like a reasonable idea and probably better than nothing.

There are a variety of options available, here's one:

http://www.rockler.com/portable-drill-guide

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have an early version of such a device called a Port-Align (sold by Sears, at the time). It is surprisingly useful.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:

Rotate the table to vertical, parallel with the column. Loosen the column in the base, or the head on the column. Swing the head & table sideways out over the edge of the bench. Gain all that height. Note: your base must be fastened to the bench, and retighten the column in the base or head before use.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't allow all that rotation you speak of.

I guess if I need to do it again, I'll find one of those deals to hook up to my cordless drill...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

It also tends to make the chuck fall out.

On a drill press, the chuck isn't really attached to the machine at all, the chuck has a tapered shank that locks into a tapered socket on the drill press spindle with friction. Enough sideways load can release the chuck.

Which is why you shouldn't use it as a mill either. One thing to have the chuck fly out and be hit by it and the sanding drum. Another thing entirely if it has an end mill bit in it.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3456 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Go to Craigslist and look for a Walker-Turner or Delta drill press. You wont be sorry. Get a vise, bolt it down to hold material.
Forstner bits are good accessories to have.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3872 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I looked on eBay for an older solid unit, as mentioned in a earlier post. No luck, they were all listed as local pickup, none within my state.

I liked the price of the WEN 8 inch $74.25 unit, but figured it was a bit small for my needs, so I just now ordered the WEN 10 inch for $142. I think that will work just fine for me.

I have a drill press vise and will follow the advice of using clamps and stop blocks for safety's sake.

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated.

I'll build a 4x6 foot work table on rolling locking casters and mount the drill press, my too darn heavy WILTON American made 8 inch bench vise and 2 bench grinders, with room for a small assembly table area. This will be a big help to me for utility and free up my workbench space.

Let the projects begin! Yea !

I'm excited about this.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post