SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nearing the end of life
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nearing the end of life Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Your post brought tears to my eyes, I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this, especially alone.

Special prayers are headed your way.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
very sorry to hear that

I went through the same thing back in June with my fiancee

it was very difficult, but I'm glad I did what I did

be with your dad as much as you can

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you and your dad. Hang in there.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. I'm not going to quote all the questions asked but just a few things.
- hospice is being talked about but we're waiting until he gets out of the hospital. Probably have a better idea of a time line.
- I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers.
- I'm good so far and I have been watching this for the past few months. I'm not the only person who's gone through this and I'm sure others can relate. Not easy watching someone deteriorate in front of your eyes.
- My father has had a will and life insurance for quite a while so there's no problems in that area.

I'm home right now and got some sleep but I'll be going back in a bit. They wanted to keep him for some observation and I don't know if he'll be released today or not.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers for all.
Lost both my parents to cancer.

Posts: 118 | Location: RI | Registered: January 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, my father was diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer in late August. As for the subject of chemo or radiation treatment, a good doctor was honest to say it would probably only extend his life by 6 months and all of it would be miserable. Dad started to go down hill quickly around Thanksgiving, got a bit better for a week, and then a continuous decline through Christmas. We ended up putting him in hospice because trying to take care of him at home was killing us (mother, me, and sisters). We probably waited too long by a week in putting him in hospice. My father passed away in the early morning hours of New Years Eve day (12/31). When we had his memorial, we found out in his Korean War Veteran's Group, they started that year with 132 members and by the end of the year, there were only 28 members still alive.

My prayers for you and your family. Watching what my father want through and contrast that with putting my dog to sleep earlier that year, I realized we are much kinder to our pets.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Prayers said for both you and your Father.

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Gods Peace, Understanding and Love for You and your Dad in your trying times together and beyond . If anything needs to be said or done you have both been given a gift of some more time that many do not get. Prayers .

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you and your father, having gone through this I feel every ounce of pain you are going through. Please remember to take care of yourself also, that is definitely something that is easier said than done in a time like this. Again thoughts and prayers sir.

Posts: 457 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Prayers headed your way for both of you. Please spend as much time as you can with your father as you need and just remember that you have your friends and family here to be there for you during this time. .......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wishing the best for you and your Dad.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are with you, joatmonv.

May dad was relatively healthy until almost 3 years ago, even though he had chronic heart problems. But then his troubles accelerated and he declined fairly quickly.

It is hard. Good luck.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Father.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You and your father are in my thoughts and prayers. Cancer is a terrible thing to go through. Not only for the person that has it, but the people around them that love and care for them in their time of need. I understand your feelings and situation, though mine had a better outcome in the end. With any luck and your father putting in a good fight, you can spend more time together and get through this journey in your own and timely way.

Prayers inbound.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Prayers up for the both of you.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers for your father and family!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best wishes. And as a former Hospice employee, they will be a great help to you.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I pray things will work out for both of you.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
So sorry... and also a thank you.
Be with him, my experience with cancer was the terrible feeling of isolation.

Love to you and your father in this time of need.

Billy

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Released last night after he half ass fought with the doctors. I get it, he wanted to go home and sleep in his own bed.
He does feel better after getting the fluid removed from his lungs.
There were some odd kind of unsettling conversations when I was talking with him and even right now as I'm typing, it's either just odd dreams or premonitions but it was different for sure.
First was one time when he woke up and said he had a dream that my dog was in the room with him laying on the floor. My dog loved my Dad and when both were in better health, the dog wouldn't leave my Dad alone. He was right by his side when my Dad would come over to visit. Bad omen, good omen or just nothing? Who knows.
Other conversation centered around his health. Asked me what kind of life does he have if he has to keep coming in and having his lungs drained. This wasn't the first time this has happened but the others were scheduled appointments when his oncologist noticed fluid build up. I couldn't answer. What was I supposed to say? Give up and not do anything next time?
Yes this is fucked up. Right now I'm running on caffeine and nicotine. I shouldn't smoke seeing what it did to him but I've smoked for 35 years or so and it's ingrained and very hard to break.
He has an appointment Monday morning with his oncologist and I'll have a better understanding then as the hospital doctors wouldn't really say anything.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post