SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weight training routine for weight loss
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weight training routine for weight loss Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I’m looking for some feedback on my plan for the gym for next few months (then I’ll switch it up).

My thought is a full body weight training routine 3 times a week (M, W, F) plus 20 minutes of HIIT on an elliptical.

Non-weight gym days (Tu, Th, Sa) will be conventional cardio, specifically, 45 minutes of inclined walking (12-15 incline, speed 2.2-2.5). Sunday is a non-workout day with Saturday being the additional rest day as needed.

My big question lies in designing the actual weight training moves. I’ve done just enough to know that I don’t know. I’m thinking a basic full body heavy set will support my weight loss goals best plus be easy to do in the allotted time (Thursday and Friday I have 45 minutes MAX). So, this is what I’m thinking:

- back squats
- conventional deadlifts
- hang cleans
- bar bench press/dumbbell chest press/machine chest press (only 1)
- hanging leg raise/other core

That’s pretty much what I’m thinking. My concerns:

- Should I add triceps or will the bench press be sufficient?
- should I add biceps? Not much in the above for them
- should I add calf raises? Thinking the incline treadmill should be ok.

Thanks for your opinions!

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I'm no fitness expert, but have used the 5/3/1 program in the past. It's not that different than what you describe. You might look into it. It's based on 4 main exercises(bench press, military press, dead-lift, squats) spread over 4 days, but you could get away with doing two of the movements, say military press and dead-lifts, on the day you have more time.

On top of the 4 main exercises the program calls for supplemental exercises as well. Check it out. So yes, I would suggest adding tri and bicep exercises to your routine.

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Build your plan around the big 4 lifts-
Dead lifts, Squats, Overhead press, and Bench press. You'll want to do 9-12 working sets per body part, not counting warm ups.
I'd limit cardio to 3 20 minute sessions of interval training per week.
You lose weight with proper nutrition and eating at a caloric deficit of 15-25% below your TDEE. Take pictures and measurements at the beginning and every month or so to track your progress. You will probably find your weight may not decrease as you lose fat and gain muscle, so don't rely solely on the scale to measure and track your progress.
Most people do best on a 5 day split-
Day 1 - Chest & core
Day 2 - Back & Calves
Day 3 - Shoulders & core
Day 4 - Legs
Day 5 - Upper body & Arms

Do your 20-30 minutes of cardio separate from your weight sessions if you can, or after you lift if you can't.

Keep a log of your lifts too, track the number of reps & weights. Itll help motivate you down the road.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
No specific argument with your plan, just a side note.
If you are doing this primarily for weight loss, what I learned while working at a fitness center is that muscle tissue is some 4 times heavier per specific volume (cubic inch?) that body fat.

As we were taught, you will have to lose 4 cubic inches of body fat for each cubic inch of muscle built, just to maintain body weight.

Also, more sets at lower weights were what the trained fitness counselors at that county facility were teaching. And, slower reps are better.

If I recall correctly, the preferred method was 20-10-20 reps. I.e. 20 seconds lifting the weight, 10 seconds holding it motionless, 20 seconds back to starting position.

The really dedicated did 30-20-30. Surprising just how heavy that weight gets when doing those slow reps.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
Build your plan around the big 4 lifts-
Dead lifts, Squats, Overhead press, and Bench press. You'll want to do 9-12 working sets per body part, not counting warm ups.
I'd limit cardio to 3 20 minute sessions of interval training per week.
You lose weight with proper nutrition and eating at a caloric deficit of 15-25% below your TDEE. Take pictures and measurements at the beginning and every month or so to track your progress. You will probably find your weight may not decrease as you lose fat and gain muscle, so don't rely solely on the scale to measure and track your progress.
Most people do best on a 5 day split-
Day 1 - Chest & core
Day 2 - Back & Calves
Day 3 - Shoulders & core
Day 4 - Legs
Day 5 - Upper body & Arms

Do your 20-30 minutes of cardio separate from your weight sessions if you can, or after you lift if you can't.

Keep a log of your lifts too, track the number of reps & weights. Itll help motivate you down the road.

I’ve lost massive weight before so really, I know how to do it. I know how and what to eat, I know what my estimated BMR is I can easily maintain a significant caloric deficit.

Last time I paired the nutrition with intense and dynamic class-based circuit training... and it worked. But it was too hard on my joints and my schedule now doesn’t allow me the flexibility to go to the classes like before. So this time I have to figure out something different for the exercise portion. I know lean muscle mass burns more than fat, so my aim is to increase my metabolic rate through weight training with small amounts of cardio. The HIIT 3x20min is exactly what I planned on so that sounds good.

Thanks all

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Consider getting in the pool for water aerobics.

You’ll burn a LOT of calories.

Much easier on your joints.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
20 minutes of HIIT is too much, especially after lifting. 10 to 15 minutes with 12 minutes is the sweet spot. 14 minutes if you have a Bowflex Max Trainer (the only machine I can honestly say that it is trying to kill me Big Grin).

Consider kettlebells. Right now I am doing a 6/5/4 routine:

1. Bridge Alternating Chest Press
2. Renegade Rows
3. Double Clean
4. Double swings
5. Double squats or single leg deadlifts (I alternate these two exercises)
6. Double Shoulder Press
5 reps per side or per exercise x 4 times through. Do it 2 to 3 times a week. Off days do 75 kettlebell swings (25 reps x 3 sets).

Posts: 3938 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
No specific argument with your plan, just a side note.
If you are doing this primarily for weight loss, what I learned while working at a fitness center is that muscle tissue is some 4 times heavier per specific volume (cubic inch?) that body fat.

This.

Fat people float, muscular people sink.

Don't gauge your progress by the scales, but rather by your clothes.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Workout fasted? Your brain accounts for 25-30 percent of your daily energy expenditure. You will most definitely get stronger with your HIIT and weight training but it's fairly common knowledge that you can't exercise yourself out of a bad diet.

Bikman on High Intensity Health;
https://youtu.be/3zX3tfuKIlo

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
“...You'll want to do 9-12 working sets per body part, not counting warm ups.”

How many reps per set? Are you limiting your workout to a couple of types of lifts per workout?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Workout fasted? Your brain accounts for 25-30 percent of your daily energy expenditure. You will most definitely get stronger with your HIIT and weight training but it's fairly common knowledge that you can't exercise yourself out of a bad diet.

Bikman on High Intensity Health;
https://youtu.be/3zX3tfuKIlo

As mentioned, diet is handled. The weight is already dropping before exercise even started. Most of my workouts are first thing in the morning before eating, so it’s a semi-fasted state.... 8-12 hours.

I’m fairly good at losing weight... unfortunately I’m also good at putting it on. Having kids #2 & #3 is what knocked us out of our healthy habits last time.

quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
“...You'll want to do 9-12 working sets per body part, not counting warm ups.”

How many reps per set? Are you limiting your workout to a couple of types of lifts per workout?

9-12 sets of each move sounds like too much. I wouldn’t have time for that. I’m thinking more along the lines of 4 sets of 6-8 with appropriately heavy weight.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

- back squats
- conventional deadlifts
- hang cleans

those are great exercises

add pull-ups also (which I find way more 'important' functionally than overhead presses)

but I would recommend doing them 2x per week not 3x

you need adequate rest after intense multi-joint exercises like those

you need to schedule rest also - maybe one day of just 30 minutes of walking for 'active rest'

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:

- back squats
- conventional deadlifts
- hang cleans

add pull-ups also (which I find way more 'important' functionally than overhead presses)

you need to schedule rest also - maybe one day of just 30 minutes of walking for 'active rest'

That sounds wise... I’ll probabky start the lifting routine 2x a week, Monday and Thursday, and see how it goes.

I can add assisted pull ups but I’m sure I can’t do it even assisted. Previously at my “lightest” and my strongest I couldn’t do an unassisted pull-up. I can still go through the motions which will help build strength.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

- back squats
- conventional deadlifts
- hang cleans

That sounds wise... I’ll probabky start the lifting routine 2x a week, Monday and Thursday, and see how it goes.

I can add assisted pull ups but I’m sure I can’t do it even assisted. Previously at my “lightest” and my strongest I couldn’t do an unassisted pull-up. I can still go through the motions which will help build strength.

I like your spunk or whatever someone might call it. It is giving me impetus to go for it too.
Kudos,brother,I hope you reach your goals!

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you've got the diet/eating part in the plan. The trainers at my gym will be the first to tell you (me) that losing weight is 80% what you eat, 20% exercise. Or something like that. And these are guys that are selling exercise.

My only advice - don't forget the biceps. Chicks digs biceps.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the other thing I will add that hopefully you have always considered is:

use PROPER FORM at all times - even when that means using lighter weight

see guys sometimes throwing the 'heavy weight' on and then watch them doing the worst, most injurious lifting technique

that kind of abuse on your body will eventually take its toll

the lifts you mentioned - olympic type lifts - really require proper technique (just a reminder - I'm sure you know that...)

good luck--

-------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
the other thing I will add that hopefully you have always considered is:

use PROPER FORM at all times - even when that means using lighter weight

see guys sometimes throwing the 'heavy weight' on and then watch them doing the worst, most injurious lifting technique

that kind of abuse on your body will eventually take its toll

the lifts you mentioned - olympic type lifts - really require proper technique (just a reminder - I'm sure you know that...)

good luck--

-------------------------------------------------------

A good reminder for me, and everybody.

I’ve done them all before and my mechanics are pretty darn solid. At the moment I’m working with a physical therapist due to a recovering hamstring injury and they have confirmed my mechanics are good to go. I know where my limits are, with the squat being the biggest issue due to pervasive knee problems. With weight, I don’t go all the way down yet. Still building the stabilizer muscles up for that. But it is getting better.

So where I’m at is:

- deadlift (last time with the PT I did 3 sets of 10 but failed at 8 on the last set due to grip failure)
- squat (last time did 3x10 @ 205...)
- bench press (haven’t benched a barbell in years, but currently do 60# dumbbells for reps)
- hang clean (haven’t done one in years, no idea what weight I’ll be at, will have the PT help me on monday)
- back hyperextension (first time doing them last week, did 10 body weight only no problem)
- assisted pull-ups (don’t do currently, 3 failure sets is my plan, it won’t take long to fail)
- something for my core (tons of options that I’ll mix in)

So that’s my plan for the lifting. Hoping I can get through it in 30 minutes with shorter, heavier reps. Will see how that plays out on reality.

Any opinions on what order to do them in? The only thing I’m sure about is not wanting to do squat before deadlift. I need to warm up the knees before squatting. Additionally, I’ll be doing squats and benching on a smith at least for a week or two. I’ll be alone and until I’m confident my stabilizers are solid, particularly with the bench, I think the smith is a good compromise.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Consider getting in the pool for water aerobics.

You’ll burn a LOT of calories.

Much easier on your joints.

Good luck to you.

And if a pool isn't available, I would suggest biking.

Nothing like the fresh outdoor air and sights with biking.

It's a great workout, especially with some hills mixed in there.

Posts: 13129 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you e got a good idea of what to do. My only addition to these suggestions is learn to listen to your body. I don’t go into a lifting session saying “I’m doing x weight and y reps!” If I feel strong I’ll go heavier. If I’m not feeling it as much I’ll go lighter and more reps. I’m not just talking about being a little tired or anything like that. Some days I feel strong and I’ll bench 225 for reps. Some days it feels like I can barely get 185 off the rack. Some days are better than others. Those light days often end up more intense than the heavy days.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Day one of the routine in the books. I wasn’t sure where I would be so today was kind of a tester.

1. 3 sets of deadlifts @205 was about right. Grip seems to be my weak link.

2. 3 sets of high bar squats but kept it light at 135. First set and a half were very very deep but my knee starting complaining so I finished them much shallower. Will probably increase weight a little heavier but stay with the smaller range.

3. Bench press was 3 easy 10 round sets at 115. I haven’t done a barbell bench press in a very long time so I was a bit worried about keeping it level. I’ll kick this up next time but I’m not sure by how much.

4. Clean to OH press, 3x10 using a preloaded 60lb minibar. I’ll jump to 80# next time and see how that goes.

5. Back hyperextension, 3x10 no weight. I completed them easily, am wondering if I should grab a 10lb plate next time. Not sure.

6. 4.5 assisted pull/ups (heavily heavily heavily assisted). These finished me off. This will be a very long road.

All in all a good workout. Took 35 minutes without the cardio, which is where I need to be on my workdays. I can’t home and had a protein shake and the muscle fatigue hit big time, a good sign. Tomorrow will be cardio only. Hopefully I’m nice and sore in the morning but I have some doubts.