SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice for the Younger Generation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for the Younger Generation Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
Full disclosure, I'm 47 and while not young, I'm not old either, but I do have some advice for the younger generation. Please add your own nuggets of wisdom.

1) List to your elders. Perspectives change as you get older and wiser, listen to the old gray haired folks and you can learn a lot.

2) Take care of your body, mine hurts every day. I have injuries I sustained from football, wrestling, powerlifting, etc. that have all been amplified as I get older and it sucks. I have suffered a spinal injury at 19 and dread getting out of bed in the mornings. Hind sight being 20/20, I would not have participated in some of the sports I chose.

3) Hearing Protection! When I was a kid, my uncle took my brother and I shooting frequently, without hearing protection of any kind or eye wear for that matter. I have began suffering from tinnitus and some days it drives me crazy. When I was young, I just thought I could hear sounds that others could not...Wrong!

4) Learn and respect money. Money is not taught in schools and nor are the life lessons that come with it. Money does not solve your problems, but not having it can make them a whole lot worse and life exceeding difficult.

5) You are NOT the center of the universe, GOD holds that position. You need a lasting relationship with the almighty to make this life worth living. There are trials and tribulations that we all face and need to seek his guidance and forgiveness.

6) All politicians are crooks...period!

7) The world could care less about you. Be self reliant, don't expect the Government or someone else to bail you out. You made the bed and you will sleep in it.

8) Family means everything. If you came from a crap family, in time, you get to make your own and the responsibility falls on your shoulders as to what you make of it.

9) Don't blame others for your mistakes. If you screw up, own it and correct it and deal with the consequences of your actions.

10) Kids under the age of 3 could care less about what they get for presents. A big refrigerator box provides endless hours of entertainment.

11) Keep your kids away from the electronics and take them outside, for a walk in the woods, fishing, camping, hunting, kicking around a ball or chucking rocks into a pond. Teach them to be a kid not a mindless tech zombie because you are too lazy to parent.

12) Save your money early in life, as soon as possible. Time is the killer of everything financial. A long amount of time and a small amount of money will be worth more than a large chuck of money and a short amount of time. Chances are, the bulk of use aren't going hit the lottery.

13) Do like Bruce says and "Get some damn grease!"

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3625 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
All good advice, and unfortunately, all a waste of breath.

I posted a rant relative to this in What's Your Deal. Bottom line is, VERY few people of any age learn from other's mistakes. Gotta pee on the electric fence for themselves.

T'was ever thus.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
It is amazing how much smarter I get as my teenagers got older.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
If you can't pay for it don't buy it. Charge cards are VERY dangerous.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Those are great.
Wish I had those POUNDED into my selfish, proud teen aged brain when I was younger.
Many tried but I was pig headed and now @66yrs old it is just should a!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
14) Don't smoke or chew any tobacco. And this includes "Second hand smoke". It will damage your body many years from now.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Had enough of a clue to try to learn from the mistakes of others early on. The sooner this is realized, the better it will get for anyone of any age.

I have never used/done/had/paid:

• drugs.
  • rent.
  • alcohol.
  • credit cards.
  • tobacco.
  • car payments.
  • coffee.
  • night in jail.
  • peed on an electric fence.

* Well I have taken an Advil and rented VHS tapes from Blockbuster. Wink

I could be the most boring member of SigForum...

•  
    Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by .38supersig:
    Had enough of a clue to try to learn from the mistakes of others early on. The sooner this is realized, the better it will get for anyone of any age.

• drugs.
  • rent.
  • alcohol.
  • credit cards.
  • tobacco.
  • car payments.
  • coffee.
  • night in jail.

• Could be. I have paid rent, possess 2 debit cards, bought my first new car on credit, and once grabbed an electric fence. Other than that, I'm much like you. I don't think of myself as boring, and I suspect you don't think you are ,either.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Funny Man
    Picture of TXJIM
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by .38supersig:

• drugs.
  • rent.
  • alcohol.
  • credit cards.
  • tobacco.
  • car payments.
  • coffee.
  • night in jail.

• I have done everything on your list to excess, does that make me the most interesting or just the dumbest? Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Do No Harm,
    Do Know Harm
    posted Hide Post
    I learned too many lessons the hard way.

I'm trying to avoid that for the future.

I am blessed with two wonderful children. Both are well behaved and sweet at heart. They live with their mother but are with me as much as possible. I try to instill good habits.

We took them rollerskating Sunday and my wife bumped into one of her old college roommates. The friend was there with her stepdaughter who was 15, and commented that we need to enjoy this period while we can, because in a few years the kids (8 and 11) will be too busy with life to want to hang out with us.

It made me sad. I kept them an extra day, even with having to work that night and the next night. Waking up with 5 hours of sleep to their smiling, giggling, faces is better than anything else in the world.

Hopefully the time we get with them is enough for them to learn from us.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
    -JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PHPaul:
    All good advice, and unfortunately, all a waste of breath.

I posted a rant relative to this in What's Your Deal. Bottom line is, VERY few people of any age learn from other's mistakes. Gotta pee on the electric fence for themselves.

I’m one of the younger guys based on the age poll posted a few days ago. A lot of these were forced on me by my grandfather when I was young. You reap what you sow has always been an important focus in my life because of it. You don’t like something? Fix it.

I had to learn the hard way on money, luckily I wised up after getting around 10k in debt on stupid crap I didn’t need and trying to impress women. Roll Eyes

Number 11 is applicable to me as of 8 months ago. I’ll take any more kiddo advice you have!

-----------------------
    be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Official forum
    SIG Pro
    enthusiast
    Picture of stickman428
    posted Hide Post
    Don’t just listen to your elders, spend time with them, there is so much you can learn about life from them. I used to spend every Monday with my grandfather and grandmother. They both passed away last year and not a day goes by that I don’t miss them and cherish the time we spent together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by stickman428:
    Don’t just listen to your elders, spend time with them, there is so much you can learn about life from them.

I grew up spending a lot of time with my grandfather. He was 65 when I was born, so knew him through his 70s and 80s. One thing he always stressed was not doing stupid crap that will get you injured. He worked in the iron mines for 42 years and managed to avoid an accident. Whether it's job related, home projects, or sports, those moments of stupidity in youth and middle age will haunt you in later years.

BTW: He lived to be 89 and took care of himself in his own house until 6 weeks before he died.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Mensch
    Picture of kz1000
    posted Hide Post
    Plastics.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
    -Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Cruising the
    Highway to Hell
    Picture of 95flhr
    posted Hide Post
    14. Study and Learn History There is much to be learned from the mistakes made in the past. Also learn from history, why the founding fathers did the things they did and why they wrote them in to the constitutions and Bill of Rights.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
    ― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6483 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Experienced Slacker
    posted Hide Post
    1) You can die at any moment, so live accordingly while you can.

2) Respect others but hold no head higher than your own.

Seems like anything else I can think of at the moment relates to the above.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    delicately calloused
    Picture of darthfuster
    posted Hide Post
    NO ONE OWES YOU ANYTHING!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29678 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ice age heat wave,
    cant complain.
    Picture of MikeGLI
    posted Hide Post
    Shut the fuck up. Listen. Work hard. Earn your shit.

NRA Life Member
    Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9682 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Low Profile Member
    posted Hide Post
    Don't think you are smarter than all who came before you. Once you start thinking you are you are about to make a fool of yourself

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    Put your cellphone down and walk away from it for at least a couple hours a day. During that time, try to experience the rest of the world around you.

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post