SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice for the Younger Generation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for the Younger Generation Login/Join 
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
'Don't forget the values of your father"

"The government do not own you, you own the government"

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a little bit of each paycheck in savings. It doesn't have to be a lot. You can up the ante as you earn more. I wish I had learned this earlier in life.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I have never used/done/had/paid:

• drugs.
  • rent.
  • alcohol.
  • credit cards.
  • tobacco.
  • car payments.
  • coffee.
  • night in jail.
  • peed on an electric fence.

I could be the most boring member of SigForum...

quote:
    Originally posted by flashguy:
    Could be. I have paid rent, possess 2 debit cards, bought my first new car on credit, and once grabbed an electric fence. Other than that, I'm much like you. I don't think of myself as boring, and I suspect you don't think you are, either.
    flashguy

I don't. Just one day at a time is all I can ask for.

quote:
    Originally posted by TXJIM:
    I have done everything on your list to excess, does that make me the most interesting or just the dumbest? Big Grin

Probably means you guys have had more fun than I did. Plus I forgot to put:

• lottery.
  • gambling.

A way to simplify things is to not buy anything that involves depreciation or interest if you can. Rent is a 100% interest rate. Makes perfect sense if you plan on staying at the same place for 6 months instead of 30+ years though.

A lot can be learned by listening to others. Stories about a summer kitchen and lowering the bottles of milk into the well to keep them cool during the day fascinate me. I could listen to them for hours. Learning history isn't so much as remembering dates and speeches, It got a whole lot more interesting when I found out where the local blacksmith shop was in town. Walked the tunnels dug under the roads during Prohibition. Figured out a garage had built the third airplane in the state. What happened at the local ghost town...

My advice: There isn't a dinner, TV, cellphone, car, jewelry, etc... that you get and have it feel better than paying off your house.

•  
    Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Working for Water
    Picture of Chance228
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mdj:
    Put a little bit of each paycheck in savings. It doesn't have to be a lot. You can up the ante as you earn more. I wish I had learned this earlier in life.

This...save early and be consistent...it will pay off. I wish I was a better saver in my teens and early 20s.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Certified Plane Pusher
    Picture of Phantom229
    posted Hide Post
    .38supersig, if you don’t mind, can I ask how you went without paying rent? I get the other stuff but the rent one puzzles me.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    It's not you,
    it's me.
    Picture of RAMIUS
    posted Hide Post
    Read books.

Exercise.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PHPaul:
    All good advice, and unfortunately, all a waste of breath.

I posted a rant relative to this in What's Your Deal. Bottom line is, VERY few people of any age learn from other's mistakes. Gotta pee on the electric fence for themselves.

T'was ever thus.

That's true for many people, maybe even most. But we still try to instill wisdom in our kids even if all of them don't heed all good advice in their youth. If nothing else, it gives them another dot to connect to as they wise up and realize "hey, the old man knew some stuff after all".

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Every step deepens the habit.

Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by .38supersig: Negotiated that if I could prove I was saving my money instead of blowing it, I could get a pass on paying toward the rent.

Sounds like your parents made it possible by allowing you to live rent free into adulthood.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My other Sig
    is a Steyr.
    Picture of .38supersig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by MNSIG:

Sounds like your parents made it possible by allowing you to live rent free into adulthood.

Only up to the age of 19. After that they couldn't swing the rent where they lived and moved into my place. Imagine changing the locks when your dad moves out. Good times.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    goodheart
    Picture of sjtill
    posted Hide Post
    There's a short Hawaiian saying that goes like this:

Pa'a ka wa'a
    Nana ka maka
    Hana ka lima

Shut your mouth
    Open your eyes
    Work with your hands

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of Life's
    Circumstances
    Picture of doublesharp
    posted Hide Post
    take care of your teeth

don't be afraid to toot your own trumpet

always tell the truth and then you won't have to remember what you said

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Happily Retired
    Picture of Bassamatic
    posted Hide Post
    A college degree means jackshit. What really counts is having good common sense.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Shorted to Atmosphere
    Picture of Shifferbrains
    posted Hide Post
    Learn a skill or trade that you can go anywhere and make a living.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post