SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WE JUST WON BRUEN
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WE JUST WON BRUEN Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Just checking that it wasn't a dream.

We won? Right?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It seems the opinion is now working its way around the country and influencing the way 2A laws and cases are handled.

I'm a lifetime member of 2AF, if you join any gun association this is it, they are the ones who fight in courts.

SAF HAILS SUPREME COURT FOR SENDING BACK GUN CASES FOR FURTHER REVIEW

The Second Amendment Foundation today hailed the U.S. Supreme Court decision to vacate lower court rulings in several gun rights cases and remand them back to lower courts for review “in light of” last week’s landmark 6-3 decision in New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn., Inc. v. Bruen.

Chief among these cases is Bianchi, Dominic, et.al. v. Frosh, a case brought by SAF and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms challenging Maryland’s 2013 ban on so-called “assault weapons.” Other cases include challenges to restrictive gun laws in Hawaii, New Jersey and California. In addition, a SAF case called McDougall v. Ventura County, which challenges a closure of gun shops two years ago during the COVID-19 panic, has been vacated by a Ninth Circuit en banc panel and remanded to the trial court for action consistent with the Supreme Court’s New York ruling.

“This is incredibly good news,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb. “The importance of Justice Clarence Thomas’ majority opinion in the New York right-to-carry case may not be fully understood until all of these other cases have gone through lower court review. What we’re seeing today could be the beginning of court actions that eventually fully restore rights protected by the Second Amendment.”

Gottlieb, who also chairs the Citizens Committee, said the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision to remand the McDougall case back for further proceedings consistent with last week’s Bruen ruling sends a strong signal that federal courts can no longer use a made-up “two-step” process to determine Second Amendment cases. As Justice Thomas wrote in his opinion, “Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many.”

“Our attorneys are already reviewing earlier cases to determine which ones can be re-filed for further action based on the high court ruling in Bruen,” he noted, “and we are confident other cases now remanded back for further review will also fare better in the lower courts.”

“It is also important,” Gottlieb said, “that the high court granted all writs of certiorari in these Second Amendment cases as they were being remanded back for further review. That tells me we have a Supreme Court willing to rein in lower court activism and limit how far they will allow local and state governments to reach when it comes to placing burdens on the exercise of a fundamental, constitutionally-enumerate right to keep and bear arms.”

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Just checking that it wasn't a dream.

We won? Right?

Depends on how you look at it. We won in the Supreme but will lose in NY.

Special session voting today on new gun laws in NY, I'm waiting to get text. Hochul has already said that if businesses don't have signage permitting carrying of weapons that it will be illegal to carry there. Basically we won't be allowed to carry a gun anywhere. Rumor going around is a 15 hour training course every two years, strengthened background checks, ammo background checks, and a special permit to purchase any semi auto rifle. I just saw a press conference clip where she was asked if she had the numbers to show it was concealed carriers committing the crimes and she said she didn't need numbers.

Meanwhile, on the upper east side of Brooklyn, blocks from the Mayor's house, a 20 year old woman had her face blown off while pushing her 3 mo old baby in a stroller.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I was listening to a bit of it on a local talk show, Hochul is a pure control freak, and rude, when the reporter asked her for facts and details on how CWP holders participated in crimes she dismissed it, then gave her own made up facts on NY gun crimes vs states with less strict laws.

As was stated earlier, NY gun owners got the ok to get a permit, the rules to get one, the time, costs and restrictions on carry by Houchel and her staff will make it effectively a piece of paper with zero authorization and as such, potentially a ban on carry and 2A violation.

Those rules though will be construed as bans, and as such, drag NY back into federal court, as stated earlier, join 2AF they are the ones taking the fight to the states...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gee, at the first potential setback we've "lost"?

You might've noticed that it took a lot of stamina and determination to get where we are now. Yes, it's going to take more stamina and determination to see the impact of this ruling through.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You're missing that to spite a couple counties, they're fucking the whole state. Most of the state is losing, badly on this one.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:

Gee, at the first potential setback we've "lost"?

You might've noticed that it took a lot of stamina and determination to get where we are now. Yes, it's going to take more stamina and determination to see the impact of this ruling through.

Yes. We've lost in NY. It's certainly not over but weaving through the courts takes time and during that time we'll have our pistol permits but won't be able to carry them. I can't imagine it holding up in court but until we get there we'll have fewer gun rights in NY than we had. The part that pisses me off the most is that if every gun owner in NY would get off their dead ass and vote we wouldn't be where we are today.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Karpteach:
Trust me nothing is going to change. Hochul the Commandant of NewYohkistan is already claiming she has a workaround. The communist dictators are not going to take this laying down.

I'm inclined to agree with this, in spite of the fact I don't want to.

I've already figured out a workaround for them and if I can do it, they certainly can.

The workaround? No CCW allowed within 2,000 feet of a school, hospital, doctor's office or church.

That would effectively eliminate around 3/4 of the places you could carry.

Go soak your head.

If someone offered you $100, you'd complain it wasn't $200.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Yup:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6940091294

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Karpteach:
Trust me nothing is going to change. Hochul the Commandant of NewYohkistan is already claiming she has a workaround. The communist dictators are not going to take this laying down.

I'm inclined to agree with this, in spite of the fact I don't want to.

I've already figured out a workaround for them and if I can do it, they certainly can.

The workaround? No CCW allowed within 2,000 feet of a school, hospital, doctor's office or church.

That would effectively eliminate around 3/4 of the places you could carry.

Go soak your head.

No, I'm not an optimist and I'm not a pessimist.

I'm a realist and if you can't see this coming, you need a white cane with a red tip.

Even Ray Charles and Little Stevie Wonder can see what's coming.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The analogy is, 100 people thought they were getting $100. What's happening at the moment is 9 of them are getting $40 and 91 of them are losing $500.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
What do you know? The Evil Empire Strikes back.

That didn't take long, did it? Anyone who thinks the Progressive States are going to take this lying down is delusional. I forsee another decade or so of lawsuits to get it settled.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/si...OVEMENT_ACT-BILL.pdf

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you know? The Evil Empire Strikes back.

That didn't take long, did it? Anyone who thinks the Progressive States are going to take this lying down is delusional. I forsee another decade or so of lawsuits to get it settled.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/si...OVEMENT_ACT-BILL.pdf

The silver lining is that only one state will need to be sued, NY, every time, NY's leftist politicians will keep pushing gun laws farther, and, they will be taken to federal court.

Each time they do this and we win it eliminates any other state from taking that position.

It's never going to end, until common sense voters take over and unelect these people.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
2013 Safe Act made all ammo purchases in NY require a background check. They still haven't got that off the ground. With that time frame in mind, you should be able to comply with the new licensing requirements and CCW some time around 2046.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
From what Ive been able to get so far is that we'll have to renew our previously lifetime licenses. To renew we'll have to have 16 hours of live training including 2 hours of live fire training. Based on the amount of permit holders and lack of training/available ranges without some type of hold or injunction many will have their permits expire before they can fulfill the training requirement.
License to buy a semi auto rifle with no noted exception for 22 caliber. Statewide database of weapons, onerous list of places that will become a felony to conceal carry.

NYSERPA has already stated they'll be fighting it.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It will be a felony for you to carry in restricted places, such as... a public sidewalk.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
^ I wish I was joking or it was sarcastic hyberbole.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I live by the mantra, “concealed is concealed”; that’s just me. But to be fair, I DO live in a “friendly” state.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Caught before was mostly a slap on the wrist, basically a "time out" , with no criminal charge possible. Now that same thing it will be a felony.

("before"... talking about state wide, not counting NYC)

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Caught before was mostly a slap on the wrist, basically a "time out" , with no criminal charge possible. Now that same thing it will be a felony.

("before"... talking about state wide, not counting NYC)

Only if you're a law abiding citizen.

If you're a scumbag, it's a misdemeanor.