SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sporadic for a while

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Sporadic for a while Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted
Be advised that I may not respond as quickly as before for a while--I'm on a tour of Australia and New Zealand and don't spend as much time on the Internet.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Watch out for the salties.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm now done with my 2nd full day in Sydney. I arrived on a Monday morning and the main activity that day was a welcoming dinner cruise around the harbor. We're staying in the Park Royal Darling Harbor hotel. I slept very well last night. My room is almost directly above a multilane divided highway system and I love it--I can hear all the Harleys passing by, even on the 10th floor! Today we had a city tour by coach and a guided tour of the Sydney Opera House. Two meals today as part of the trip--both excellent. Looking forward to another night's sleep. We have a busy day set for tomorrow. I'll report on it later.

flashguy

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Watch out for the salties.

[Aussie Accent] Naaaah, the salties won't bother ya unless you go poking 'em. Now the drop bears, they're the ones ya gotta watch out for. [/Aussie Accent]

When we were there in October, Mrs.BurtonRW and I actually had dinner in Yulara with a bloke from Sydney - a recently retired general contractor - who was the quintessential Dundee-type. Every time we mentioned a deadly thing, he would respond basically as I did just there.

We learned that we shouldn't worry about the Red Back Spider because it was the Funnel Web that would ruin our day. Also, the Death Adder is nothing compared to the Eastern Brown.

He was hilarious - completely genuine.

Anyway - I was serious about the Drop Bears. Those things are trouble.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Had to google "drop bears". Don't see your concern, they look kind of cuddlely.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Report This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Had to google "drop bears". Don't see your concern, they look kind of cuddlely.

Google "wet drop bear"

edited to add, not a joke or Rick Roll. Wet koalas look evil!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I imagine learning how to walk upside down could be tricky...

Good luck and have a great trip!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Joke time.

Q: What's an Australian kiss?
A: Just like a French kiss except it's down under.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... will you get a ferry to Manly?

That's where I grew up, along the northern beaches.

From this pic I can see my parent's house and where I went to school. Take the North Head scenic drive and stop at the Bella Vista cafe; but watch out for the thieving' kookas, they'll pinch your food right off the plate. Right next door is the Aussie Army museum and guided walking tour.

And if you're walking down The Corso, I recommend the Ivanhoe for food or a libation.

Enjoy - great time of year to be in Aus!

Ahhh ... memories ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So, let me get this straight...you are not down under, but up over the highway.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
... will you get a ferry to Manly?

That's where I grew up, along the northern beaches..

I went to high school there back in 1999 - 2000 and lived in Mosman. It was the best. I would like to go back someday. Enjoy your travels.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Not sure about Manly--we're doing Sydney, Melbourne, Ayers Rock, Cairns, the Kuranda Scenic Rail, and the Great Barrier Reef. I suspect Manly is in there somewhere.

Today we visited the Featherdale Wildlife Park west of Sydney, and saw a lot of native Australian animals and birds. I even got to pet a Wallaby! Then at nice lunch at a teapot museum, and then to the Blue Mountains National Park, to view the vista at Echo Point and then to the Scenic World there to ride the Scenic Railway down into the canyon and the Scenic Cableway back up, eventually meeting back at our coach. Unfortunately, although the Echo Point experience was sunny, we had rain for the rest of the afternoon, and it kind of spoiled things. Buffet dinner at the hotel.

flashguy

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
OK, So basically we're watching for intermittent flashes.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
OK, So basically we're watching for intermittent flashes.

Could be a detached retina.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post