SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did this woman really believe she would win a shoot out vs. three police officers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did this woman really believe she would win a shoot out vs. three police officers? Login/Join 
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted
 https://www.phoenix.gov/newsroom/police/1416  

So much stupid here.

Critical Incident Briefing: Officer-Involved Shooting near 2800 W. Peoria Avenue
JULY 22, 2020 10:40 AM
​The Phoenix Police Department has released a Critical Incident Briefing video from an officer-involved shooting near a hotel in the area of 10400 N. Black Canyon Highway.

The incident happened July 8, 2020 at approximately 6:56 a.m.

According to a 911 call, a man stated that his roommate was "becoming crazy," and he had kicked her out. He went on to say that she "shot a gun," which was determined to have occurred outside the apartment.

The responding officers all had body worn cameras.

When the officers arrived on scene, they met the caller who showed them where the woman had shot the gun. He then spotted the woman near a parking lot on the north side of the hotel and directed the officers to the woman, who was later identified as 24-year-old Jovana Kelsey McCreary.

Two officers and a sergeant contacted McCreary. One of the officers asked her if she had a firearm. She said she did not. She also denied firing a gun.

The officers talked with McCreary for nearly seven minutes. With her permission, they searched her bag and found ammunition. They also found illegal drugs inside. At the same time, it was also discovered she had an outstanding misdemeanor warrant for her arrest.

One of the officers took her hand to handcuff her. McCreary struggled to get away and pulled a handgun from her waist area. As the struggle continued, McCreary fired the gun, narrowly missing the officers. The two officers drew their weapons and fired at McCreary, who still had the gun in her hand.

McCreary was struck twice, dropped the gun, and hit the ground.

Officers on scene provided first aid to McCreary. Phoenix Fire Department personnel arrived and took over first aid. She was transported to a hospital in critical condition but survived her injuries.

No officers or bystanders were injured during this incident.

The two officers involved in this shooting are assigned to the Patrol Division in the Cactus Park Precinct. One officer has 29 years and the other has 14 years of service with the Phoenix Police Department.

The incident is the subject of both an internal and a criminal investigation, which will be reviewed by the Maricopa County Attorney's Office.

Conclusions about whether the actions of the officers are consistent with department policy and the law will not be made until all facts are known and the investigation is complete.

This video may contain strong language as well as graphic video and images which may be disturbing to some people. Viewer discretion is advised.
Related Social Media Hashtags and Handles: @phoenixpolice

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I am not a doctor, but I know that people who have no experience or training (and/or who have limited mental capacity) will go into survival mode (fight or flight) when they feel threatened. They will literally not think rationally; that's a different part of the brain.

This does not excuse stupid thought or behavior.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Two thoughts come to mind:

Twenty four is fairly young. She made an impressive number of poor decisions in her young life.

Good thing she’s white. At least we don’t have to worry about riots and insanity over this.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

Twenty four is fairly young. She made an impressive number of poor decisions in her young life.

exactly

like the guy in FL w/ 200+ felony charges who killed 3 people over basically nothing

pathologic inability to make sound decisions

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Good thing she’s white. At least we don’t have to worry about riots and insanity over this.

From this...
quote:

... the woman, who was later identified as 24-year-old Jovana Kelsey McCreary.

I'd initially assumed otherwise. But, still: "Jovana?" Then thought to check. Turns out "Jovana is a Serbian feminine name." Ref: Jovana

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Good job officers. This won't be her last brush with the law I would predict.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
I am not a doctor, but I know that people who have no experience or training (and/or who have limited mental capacity) will go into survival mode (fight or flight) when they feel threatened. They will literally not think rationally; that's a different part of the brain.

So will drug addicts who are threatened at spending time in jail as that interferes with their getting high. They will fight, kill anyone who gets in the way of their next high. Yep, not rational thought but rational thought hasn't been part of their life for a long time. Bad life choices compounded by more bad decisions.

Posts: 3958 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Why wasn't she patted down?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8401 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

Thank you.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^
Not the brightest crayon in the box. Likely just plain old poor impulse control. Impulse control worsens when you take drugs.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Can’t just pat down anyone any time. You have to have reasonable suspicion.

They had it, when ammo was found in the purse.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When I was working, I just assumed everyone was armed until I could confirm they were not. All it takes is a little observation. Whenever I trained anyone, we would sit down somewhere and we would play the “is he armed”game, to get my rookies into looking at people for weapons. People will tug, pat, rub, etc hidden guns. If watched long enough everyone touches their concealed, or the gun reveals itself by printing.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe this is a rush to judgement on my part. If you pull a gun on a lawman, you’re going to get shot, at least in WV. No need for an investigation or any other waste of time & common sense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: recoatlift,

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
The caller to 911 said she had a gun and had discharged it. They had probable cause to pat her down when they located her.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the cops were male, dept. policy may require pat downs be done by female officers.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
If the cops were male, dept. policy may require pat downs be done by female officers.

I’m glad mine isn’t one that subscribes to such nonsense. Even for searches, policy states to use a female officer “whenever possible”.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15632 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:

She should have been immediately. There was reasonable suspicion when they first arrived on scene with the info they had. I know a lot of cops, including this one, dread searching females and I would suspect that may have been in play here. It's a tough biz.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:

In this situation, I would imagine it's more the copius amounts of illicit drugs she took that were in her purse than anything else.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:

Thank you.

The whole time I'm watching I'm wondering why they aren't immediately detaining her and or checking that pouch.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2274 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:

Thank you.

The whole time I'm watching I'm wondering why they aren't immediately detaining her and or checking that pouch.

What makes you think that when they went to pat her down she wouldn't have used the gun? I'm sure she would have. Remember the left yelling at Trump that rhetoric matters? Guess what their rhetoric matters as well. Everyone on the left believes cops are evil and they have been told to "resist."

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
That's fairly obvious she could have went for it at anytime. I've watched a lot of cop videos, and it seems like if a witness tells them a man has a gun (and has already FIRED it) and they approach him they're not going to stand around while he's wearing a pouch shaped like an obvious f****** gun and have a casual chat with him...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2274 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post