SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sun Shades For Beach: Anyone Have Experience With These 3?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sun Shades For Beach: Anyone Have Experience With These 3? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We were at Panama City Beach over the 4th with our Ez-up clone 10x10 & 3 screw in anchors, no problem through a mild shower/storm. It wasn't windy all week, but we've been there with a stiff breeze & only needed 4 anchors 1 time. It was probably 2:1 Ez-ups vs everything else. The sun ninja was the only thing that caught my eye enough to want something different. The ez-up is useful in many other situations & we don't get to the beach more than 1 or 2x per year.
1 day we were next to one of those shibumi things, I had never seen one before. The next day, I avoided that spot. The damn thing was noisy & obnoxious. The people using it were nice & apologetic and probably wouldn't purchase one again. The day after, they had a good section of the beach to themselves....

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone for all the input!

Cookster I may have to take you up on your offer, I don’t live all that far from that area. I’ll email you later, thank you!

Based on what I’m seeing here and elsewhere, the Shibumi is out based on noise and I agree it’s overpriced for what you get.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
For some reason the third one keeps catching my attention..... Big Grin

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Thanks, everyone for all the input!

Cookster I may have to take you up on your offer, I don’t live all that far from that area. I’ll email you later, thank you!

Sure! I'll keep an eye out for an e-mail from you.

Regards,

Rob

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The shibumi is great as long as there is a light breeze. It is by far the easiest to set up and take down.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
PAsig, while you are in VA Beach, if you have an overcast day or spare time the Military Aviation Museum is not too far from Sandbridge and is a pretty cool place to visit if you like vintage military planes.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We used one like your #1 last year in Orange Beach Al. The one we got was for 3 but it really fit two people.

My buddy has a Shambui and he used two sections of Para cord tied to the back corners and anchoring it like the shade in #1. It gets rid of the flapping. He also told us to get the bigger one vs the smaller one.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I wanted to give a big THANK YOU here to SF member Cookster for generously lending me one of his Coolcabana sun shades to use on vacation next month. Not only did he go out of his way to meet me, he took the time to demonstrate the setup and takedown and it looks very easy to use and will work great for us.

Now we are talking about organizing a Southeast PA SF member meetup and shoot sometime! Let’s do this.

quote:
Originally posted by shoevb:
PAsig, while you are in VA Beach, if you have an overcast day or spare time the Military Aviation Museum is not too far from Sandbridge and is a pretty cool place to visit if you like vintage military planes.

Yes we plan on that! There was a pretty cool outdoor play area/metal dinosaur sculpture garden thing outside that we took the kids to 2 years ago, I think the museum was closed that day but it’s on the list for rainy day activities. Thanks

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Another big THANK YOU to SF member Cookster for letting me borrow one of his CoolCabana beach sunshades to try out recently. It worked out perfectly and now others in my family want to get them. I observed the various sunshades while on the beach, and saw that the Shibumi was down or very droopy half the time and the saw people struggling with getting the Neso type up and not blowing down. The CoolCabana went up in less than five minutes and was a one-man operation.

Cookster and I spoke and I ended up getting the shade in a trade I made with him for some ammo. So everyone walked away happy here, thank you, SigForum!

Here I am chilling with a High Noon on the beach in Virginia, the shade was very nice since it was so nasty hot that week:

posted Hide Post
Looks like you've got it "Made in the shade." there PASig!

Glad that it worked out for you and thank you for the trade!!

Rob

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Late to the party here.

A bit pricey, but check out this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6...dt_b_product_details

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

The Shibumi Shade Mini:

Strangely I keep looking at this one......

I was wondering if the model was included, too.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post