SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Time line of the shooting, response and lack there of. Frown Reading this will make you sick.

http://projects.sun-sentinel.c...ents/#nt=oft09a-2gp1

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“The sheriff who was suspended over his handling of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School massacre, where 17 people were killed, is suing to get his job back.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel was suspended for his alleged poor leadership in the moments leading up to and during the deadly school shooting in Parkland, Florida last year.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis took action just three days after being sworn into office in January and suspended Israel from his elected position.

Ina lawsuit filed on Thursday, Israel's attorneys said the governor suspended the sheriff for political reasons…”

https://mol.im/a/6784903

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Time line of the shooting, response and lack there of. Frown Reading this will make you sick.

Simply awful. Israel should crawl into a hole and disappear, but instead chooses to play the victim.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
quote:

Simply awful. Israel should crawl into a hole and disappear, but instead chooses to play the victim.
Agreed. Another point to note, the Broward County School Board recently voted to keep Robert Runcie, the Broward County Schools Superintendent who's every bit as responsible for the Parkland shooting as Israel is. That county is severely sick in the head.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Maybe Israel can get a sympathetic judge, it could happen.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Edited to add: I had the date wrong, this is from March of 2018, not 2019.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/l...-20180307-story.html

Two Miramar SWAT officers suspended for heading to Parkland massacre

Linda Trischitta Contact Reporter
South Florida Sun Sentinel
March 7, 2018 8PM

When a gunman started shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, two Miramar SWAT team members did what comes naturally: They went to help.

Now they’ve been suspended for it.

The officers did not have permission to respond to the shooting at Parkland on Feb. 14, when 17 people were killed.

And that created an officer safety issue and left them unaccountable for their actions, according to their police department.

But their union reacted differently.

“While it may have been a violation of policy to not notify their supervisors that they were going there, their intentions were brave and heroic, I think,” Broward County PBA President Jeff Marano said Wednesday.

The SWAT officers who responded were Detective Jeffrey Gilbert and Detective Carl Schlosser. One of them told supervisors he was in the Coral Springs area when the gunfire happened; it’s not known where the other drove from, police spokeswoman Tania Rues said.

“They were both close by [the high school],” Rues said.

A third SWAT member, Officer Kevin Gonzalez, was accused of being linked to several social media posts that put the city and police in a negative light, and was suspended for violating the department’s social media policy and the code of conduct, Rues said.

She said she “could not comment further on where he may have posted information about the mass shooting or what was written.”

All three were notified Feb. 22 of their indefinite removal from what their department called a “privileged program” and were ordered to surrender their SWAT-issued rifles, but they remain on active duty for their other assignments, Rues said.

The afternoon of the shooting, Miramar police placed the SWAT team on stand-by in case a request came from the Broward Sheriff’s Office to assist. That call for the team never came, Rues said.

The Broward Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday it could not confirm whether anyone spoke with Miramar that day, but said Miramar’s SWAT team was “not needed” during the incident.

Miramar Police sent a victim’s advocate to help console victims’ families and officers to help direct traffic, Rues said.

The instinct to run toward danger is a common one in police officers, seen often during terrorist attacks and mass shootings.

But during the Jan. 6, 2017, shootings at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, over 2,000 cops responded to the original report of gunfire and false reports of additional shots fired, according to a report by the Broward Sheriff’s Office. Five people were killed and six others wounded in the rampage.

“Police officers have an inherent bias for action, and the minute they hear there’s a violent incident underway their immediate inclination is to go to it and try to stop the violence that is occurring,” Jim Bueermann, president of the Police Foundation, a Washington, D.C.-based police research organization, told the South Florida Sun Sentinel last June. “And we want that in police officers. The problem is being able to channel that.”

But police response plans around the country have been changed to avoid having cops swarm to scenes. A crowd of arriving law enforcement can jam roads that ambulances need to use, overwhelm radios and in general, add to the confusion of the police response.

Lessons learned from the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting and the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport shooting “clearly demonstrate that a controlled, organized response is what is most effective,” Rues said.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

When a gunman started shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, two Miramar SWAT team members did what comes naturally: They went to help.

Now they’ve been suspended for it.

That is some BULLSHIT!

This is just CYA and deflection by that police department who had their officers hiding and not responding.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Israel loses in Fl Supreme Court.

MIAMI (AP) - The Florida Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled against a sheriff who fought his removal from office after the governor claimed he failed to prevent last year's Parkland school shooting.
Florida's highest court agreed that Gov. Ron DeSantis was within his authority to suspend Scott Israel as Broward County sheriff earlier this year. The justices noted that under the Florida Constitution, the state Senate is responsible for deciding whether the removal should be permanent.

"Today's Florida Supreme Court opinion leaves no doubt of my authority as governor to suspend a government official for neglect of duty and incompetence," DeSantis said in a prepared statement. "Scott Israel failed in his duties to protect the families and students of Broward County, and the time for delay tactics is at an end. I look forward to the Florida Senate resuming the process of formal removal."
Link to story

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Huzzah! There is hope!

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I hope former sheriff Israel is coming out of his own pocket for the lawyer to fight the removal by the Governor.

He failed the children

he failed his deputies

he failed his constituents.

He should just fade away and enjoy his retirement...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
quote:

Agreed. Another point to note, the Broward County School Board recently voted to keep Robert Runcie, the Broward County Schools Superintendent who's every bit as responsible for the Parkland shooting as Israel is. That county is severely sick in the head.
Well, Broward County is where an immigrant Muslim is running unopposed for the Florida legislature.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Synopsis: The do-nothing school resource officer is being charged criminally for his failure to act.

I would have never predicted this development.
I will be following it with much interest.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I should have added a bit of explanation as you did.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So did Peterson lose his almost $9000 a month pension after all?

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

About fucking time.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

About fucking time.

Isn't it interesting how it takes them this long to prosecute the guilty but only days to persecute the innocent via gun control legislation or even conversation?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

About fucking time.

+1. What a fuckin pussy. He shoulda changed his name & disappeared immediately after. No excuse for not running to the aid of those kids. If my kid was a victim in this shooting, I’m not sure I couldn’t confront this POS & give him the what-for.

He was a cop for decades, taking a paycheck & sworn to protect. Then the first time he is needed, he hides like a coward & retires the next day. He’s a national disgrace.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
quote:

About fucking time.

Isn't it interesting how it takes them this long to prosecute the guilty but only days to persecute the innocent via gun control legislation or even conversation?

It's because there is a new Sheriff, they got rid of the shithead Israel. New guy is pressing the investigation.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Booking photo and charges, straight from the BSO jail.

https://apps.sheriff.org/Arres...mateDetail/501902065