SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Random Idea - Custom Dying a White Dress Shirt; Will it Turn Out Acceptable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random Idea - Custom Dying a White Dress Shirt; Will it Turn Out Acceptable? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Let's say I buy a white, long sleeve, buttoned collar shirt and dye it - an ancient dye like turmeric, cinnamon, lava dust, etc.

Would it turn out well or would the threads and [plastic] buttons mess it up?

I've never dyed cloth and really ignorant to how results can be achieved.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the answer is "it depends". As in, it depends on what kind of material the shirt is made of. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer than that.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think I would buy a shirt already in the preferred color. My wife has done a few dyed craft shirts. Sometimes the color is even, other times not so much, but they always seem to fade faster than manufactured shirts.

That was just ordinary cotton. I’m not sure how that basting would affect things.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Research on the internet its not simple or tidy process. This is what little I remember.

-If its cotton wash, rinse and dry beforehand.
-Use a ritz dye of your preference.
-Use a large stock pot you don't plan on reusing for cooking. Rather I'd say get two or three five gallon buckets.
-Follow instructions on ritz website and/or package
-Chemically setting dye to fabric after initial color change with vinegar and/or salt water will help 'set it'.

Don't use washing machine to dye it in as I did as a boy. My mom could have killed me. It dyed all the plastic in machine a nice purple/blue.

Research on internet again.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Probably not.
I’ve tried dying things before and it’s never worked out quite to my satisfaction- if you don’t really care, it’s fine.. but if you do, have a pro do it.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
If you do this, wear gloves.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Save you time and trouble and go to Banks ,they got really nice shirts ,will cost but I like them for dress

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you should use Gorilla Glue and post your results on the internet.

Posts: 17272 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
If you do this, wear gloves.

Big Grin

Thanks all. Sometimes a natural dye is a color not accurately reproduced. Dying a premade shirt was a thought (the unevenness is something I didn't consider).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
As Nancy Kerrigan asked, "WHYYYYYYYY???"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19704 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
As Nancy Kerrigan asked, "WHYYYYYYYY???"

Mostly "just cuz I can" but also part of it would be to have a uniquely colored shirt (like a light indigo using black beans).

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If you are just going for uniqueness, give it a rip. No matter how bad it comes out it will be one of a kind Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100% cotton or blend?

All cotton it should work fine. No different than tie dying it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Cotton should work well, but synthetics can be a different story. Pre-soaking the shirt will help the color be more even. If you're using indigo, try to avoid bubbles as much as possible- no plunging or swishing.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post