SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Federal judge blocks California ban on high-capacity magazines
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal judge blocks California ban on high-capacity magazines Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
A federal judge has temporarily blocked a voter-approved California law that would have forced gun owners to get rid of high-capacity ammunition magazines by this Saturday.

U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez, who is based in San Diego, issued a preliminary injunction Thursday that found the law was likely unconstitutional because it prevented people from using firearms that employed “whatever common magazine size he or she judges best suits the situation.” The law would have barred people from possessing magazines containing more than 10 bullets.

“The State of California’s desire to criminalize simple possession of a firearm magazine able to hold more than 10 rounds is precisely the type of policy choice that the Constitution takes off the table,” the injunction read.

Benitez added that “a final decision will take too long to offer relief, and because the statute will soon visit irrevocable harm on Plaintiffs and all those similarly situated a state-wide preliminary injunction is necessary and justified to maintain the status quo.”

The judge granted the request of attorneys from the National Rifle Association-affiliated California Rifle & Pistol Association to temporarily block the law.

In the days leading up to the ban, some California gun owners, pro-gun sheriffs and sellers have been reluctant to give up their magazines. Some gun owners have previously said that they were hoping pending court challenges would block the ban.

“We’re not going to be knocking on anybody’s door looking for them,” said Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko in an earlier interview with The Bee. “We’re essentially making law-abiding citizens into criminals with this new law.”

The ban is part of Proposition 63, approved with 63 percent of votes in November, that required background checks for people buying ammunition and instituted other firearms restrictions.

In a statement, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said that the proposition aims to prevent further mass shootings by those who own high-capacity magazines.

“Proposition 63 was overwhelmingly approved by voters to increase public safety and enhance security in a sensible and constitutional way,” Becerra said in the statement. “Restricting large capacity magazines and preventing them from ending up in the wrong hands is critical for the well-being of our communities.”

To get rid of magazines in compliance with the approved law, California gun owners would have been allowed to move them out of state, sell them to a licensed dealer, destroy them or hand them over to law enforcement.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/sta...4.html#storylink=cpy

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Encouraging news here.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
More feel good BS by a majority of idiots in California. Virtually no one was going to simply hand over these mags, and from the article, police chiefs aren't going to go looking for them. Game, set and match on this ridiculous legislation.

More importantly, thank goodness there appears to be 'one' reasonable, intelligent, judge in the state who knows something about the Constitution and feels a need respect it in his rulings.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
More feel good BS by a majority of idiots in California. Virtually no one was going to simply hand over these mags, and from the article, police chiefs aren't going to go looking for them. Game, set and match on this ridiculous legislation.

This gem was part of proposition 63, an initiative approved by 63% of CA voters. Not quite a supermajority, but way the heck too many libtards.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

More importantly, thank goodness there appears to be 'one' reasonable, intelligent, judge in the state who knows something about the Constitution and feels a need respect it in his rulings.

Pretty cavalier attitude, BD. One Sheriff in a cow county in the mountains.

Meanwhile in the rest of the state, if you were caught with one, a felony and no more guns forever.

Judge Benitez has the 9th Circuit to deal with, too.

The AG doesn't seem to be aware that judges strike down initiatives approved by voters all the time, even Constitutional Amendments!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Well, good.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It's about time the pendulum swung back towards sanity

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38244 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:...One Sheriff in a cow county in the mountains. ...

Do not despise small beginnings.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44495 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good. Very good. Hope it holds.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

Pretty cavalier attitude, BD. One Sheriff in a cow county in the mountains.

Meanwhile in the rest of the state, if you were caught with one, a felony and no more guns forever.

Judge Benitez has the 9th Circuit to deal with, too.

The AG doesn't seem to be aware that judges strike down initiatives approved by voters all the time, even Constitutional Amendments!

Are you sure about it being a felony JALLEN?
I thought it was just a silly little fine per magazine. Then again, they passed so much shit last year between the legislature and this stupid initiative that I can't keep it all straight anyway. I'd have sworn the deadline was January 1, so maybe I am confusing what the legislature passed with the initiative. I'm not worrying about it anyway since I sent those mags to a friend in Coeur d'Alene for storage until I can escape this communist paradise...

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
From California Penal Code §32310 (c) - the statute in question:

. . . any person in this state who possesses any large-capacity magazine, regardless of the date the magazine was acquired, is guilty of an infraction punishable by a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100) per large-capacity magazine, or is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100) per large-capacity magazine, by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:...One Sheriff in a cow county in the mountains. ...

And there are MANY "cow county" sheriff's who feel the same way. Most of California apart from the large metro areas do not fall into line with this garbage, but there is enough of the lunacy in those metro areas to control the vote. This is why things like the State of Jefferson are gaining so much momentum.

Posts: 6458 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I hope this sticks - it will set precedent to help those of us that live in other Communist States.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

And there are MANY "cow county" sheriff's who feel the same way. Most of California apart from the large metro areas do not fall into line with this garbage, but there is enough of the lunacy in those metro areas to control the vote. This is why things like the State of Jefferson are gaining so much momentum.

This is exactly right. What I was saying to Big Deal, perhaps inartfully, is that out in the east, in the mountains, they may not be looking for you, but in the urban areas, they will enforce this as much as they can, maybe not house to house searches.

For some reason, I had the idea that possession was a felony. I'm relieved to see it apparently is not. Sorry for the misstatement.

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I hope this sticks - it will set precedent to help those of us that live in other Communist States.

fight it up through 9th circuit, and then to Supreme Court - hopefully, right after 1-2 new Trump appointments. and overturn the NY, CT and NJ limits.

that would be MAGA

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So who can overturn the block? And when that happens, what are the next steps? I don’t remember a Federal judge stepping in at the last minute for a Second Amendment case.

Will this get fast tracked to the Supreme Court like the travel ban?

(Feersum addresed some of my question while I posted)

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
$100 or a year in jail is pretty lopsided. Apparently the law makers don't realize or care that it costs 75k in California.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats and good luck with it Californians! And THIS is why you want President Trump naming federal judges and not some anti-gunner.

I'll let this link lead your thoughts on that subject: http://www.americanthinker.com...judges_as_obama.html

"President Trump will be appointing twice as many judges as Obama. He may have the opportunity to appoint half of the federal judiciary. This is huge. "

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I hope more federal judges feel confident to make decisions similar to this, knowing we now have a Supreme Court likely to back them.

Think how depressing it would be right now if Clinton had been elected and put another liberal like Kagan or Sotomayor on the court.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Good start.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3796 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post