SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Federal judge blocks California ban on high-capacity magazines
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal judge blocks California ban on high-capacity magazines Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is good. Enough 2nd Amendment cases need to be thrown at the Federal Courts so that the SCOTUS is forced to rule on them. Hopefully, by the time this happens, maybe Trump will get the chance to replace Ginsberg and Kennedy.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that this blocking action gives relief to folks that have moved into CA in possession of mags with 10+ rounds. Also CA residents that possess mags with 10+ rounds purchased prior to date X.

But I think CA residents still can't legally purchase mags with 10+ rounds, or legally possess mags with 10+ rounds purchased after date X. Hope that I'm wrong …

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9478 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
It's a felony in CT, NJ & NY, that I know of.
I hope the NRA goes after reversing these BS Laws!

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

“Proposition 63 was overwhelmingly approved by voters to increase public safety and enhance security in a sensible and constitutional way,” Becerra said in the statement. “Restricting large capacity magazines and preventing them from ending up in the wrong hands is critical for the well-being of our communities.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/sta...4.html#storylink=cpy

So was Prop 8 but his office choose to fight the people then, instead of supporting them.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I'm thinking that this blocking action gives relief to folks that have moved into CA in possession of mags with 10+ rounds. Also CA residents that possess mags with 10+ rounds purchased prior to date X.

But I think CA residents still can't legally purchase mags with 10+ rounds, or legally possess mags with 10+ rounds purchased after date X. Hope that I'm wrong …

I don't think you could bring them in after a certain date back in the '90's.

You could keep the 10+ round capacity magazines you had in the state before that date, but could not sell them to someone else.

This new law, as I understood it, required you get rid of those which were legal before.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good news. And thanks to George W. Bush for appointing Judge Benitez.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
A very nice ruling for those, like myself, that own legally grandfathered magazines. Don't have to take a trip to Nevada today now.

Basically all this ruling does is keep the status quo in place until the court case is fully heard. As it were, any magazine with a capacity >10 rounds would have been illegal to own unless you had a special dispensation such as being a LEO. Magazines would needed to have been removed from state, destroyed or surrendered to authorities. This injunction staves off having to do that for now and hopefully forever, but that depends on how the case comes out.

TL;DR Unfortunately this doesn't mean we can go out and buy new high-capacity magazines. All it's saying is what is or is not legal today will remain so July 1st when the new law was to take effect.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

“Proposition 63 was overwhelmingly approved by voters to increase public safety and enhance security in a sensible and constitutional way,” Becerra said in the statement. “Restricting large capacity magazines and preventing them from ending up in the wrong hands is critical for the well-being of our communities.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/sta...4.html#storylink=cpy

So was Prop 8 but his office choose to fight the people then, instead of supporting them.

My 1st thought on this too!!

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1690 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
C'mon Jallen, we all know that cutting the magazine capacity in half would cut gun crime rates in half. And if we could magically eliminate guns, all violent crime would cease. Wink

Curious question. IIRC a judge ruled against CA's "may carry" rules, the feeling was that CA would start issuing more CCW permits. But it seems that hasn't really happened, various counties have somewhat indicated they would process the apps "in a few years".

(But it seems our CA-exit target is around next April, so the outcome won't effect me). Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Like how this CA AG POS crows about public safety while shielding illegals from the Feds/ICE, even the violent ones. Those are present and future base of the demoRATic party. Disgusting.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the injunction:

http://michellawyers.com/wp-co...inary-Injunction.pdf

The judge really took the state to task. Many of the exhibits they submitted were dated, involved revolvers, or were from such sources as Mother Jones magazine (see page 27, line 10 for his thoughts on that). He also quotes the survey from Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG) starting on page 28. Another submission included information on multiple incidents in Australia dating back to 1867 with no mention of large capacity magazines (if there were even any in existence at that time).

One thing I REALLY liked was on page 55, where he takes on the term "gun violence". He turned it on its side, saying "Put differently, violent gun use is a constitutionally-protected means for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves from criminals. The phrase “gun violence” may not be invoked as a talismanic incantation to justify any exercise of state power. Implicit in the concept of public safety is the right of law-abiding people to use firearms and the magazines that make them work to protect themselves, their families, their homes, and their state against all armed enemies, foreign and domestic. To borrow a phrase, it would indeed be ironic if, in the name of public safety and reducing gun violence, statutes were permitted to subvert the public’s Second Amendment rights – which may repel criminal gun violence and which ultimately ensure the safety of the Republic."

He also noted that the State's representative at the injunction hearing was not able to describe all of the various exceptions to the laws, saying "Who could blame her? The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled
with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law. Statutes must be sufficiently well-defined so that reasonably intelligent citizens can know what conduct is against the law. The plaintiffs, who are law-abiding responsible residents of California, want to keep pistols and rifles and the magazines that are commonly used with their firearms without running afoul of California’s gun control statutes. But these statutes are too complicated to give fair notice."

In other news, yet another District Court in California, another judge denied a preliminary injunction that was filed in Wiese v. Becerra, anther case on magazines. Some of the same exhibits were submitted on both sides of the argument, and he saw no reason to provide an injunction.

Unfortunately, the next court to probably hear either of these cases will be the 9th Circus Circuit Court of Appeals.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
So does this mean that California is actually going to have to make a coherent argument to prove that ten rounds is some kind of magic number for magazine capacity? Will we finally learn what makes the 11th round in a magazine a whirling tornado of antisocial forces and catastrophic violence compared to rounds 1 through 10?

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:

The judge really took the state to task. Many of the exhibits they submitted were dated, involved revolvers, or were from such sources as Mother Jones magazine (see page 27, line 10 for his thoughts on that). He also quotes the survey from Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG) starting on page 28. Another submission included information on multiple incidents in Australia dating back to 1867 with no mention of large capacity magazines (if there were even any in existence at that time).

While this Court made its point nicely, I, for one, wished a judge with Scalia's gift for rhetoric and snark had written parts of the opinion.

Including information about revolvers in a magazine capacity case seems particularly ripe for a pointed remark.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason, I had the idea that possession was a felony. I'm relieved to see it apparently is not. Sorry for the misstatement.
I had read this as being a misdemeanor and/or finable offense when I originally read about the law, hence my 'cavalier' comment about people likely not giving up their mags based on the penalties.

I will confess though, your reference to my 'cavalier' attitude might actually be somewhat kind in describing my attitude toward laws like this. At 54, I have lost virtually all the respect I once had for the judiciary in this country, and no longer harbor 'any' willingness to comply with laws that are both unconstitutional (in my opinion) and that put me and mine at risk to those who would seek to do us harm. I am frequently reminded of the military gentleman on CNN who when asked if he would break the law if Barry Obama were successful in putting into place highly restrictive new gun laws, simply responded that "Unconstitutional laws are not laws".

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:

While this Court made its point nicely, I, for one, wished a judge with Scalia's gift for rhetoric and snark had written parts of the opinion.

Including information about revolvers in a magazine capacity case seems particularly ripe for a pointed remark.

We learned in the course of several litigations over firearms enforcement that DOJ was not particularly knowledgeable about firearms. There were several enforcement actions that exposed the DOJ folks as idiots probably driven by ideology rather than expertise, very humiliating to those guys.

Nothing beats knowing what you are doing!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
This is good. Enough 2nd Amendment cases need to be thrown at the Federal Courts so that the SCOTUS is forced to rule on them.
Clarence Thomas in responding to the SCOTUS' unwillingness to take up the Peruta case, made this very point earlier this week that it is way past time for SCOTUS to weigh in once and for all on the boundaries and interpretation of the 2A. Judge Gorsuch joined Judge Thomas on this position.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I hope this sticks - it will set precedent to help those of us that live in other Communist States.

We can only hope!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I don't think you could bring them in after a certain date back in the '90's.

You could keep the 10+ round capacity magazines you had in the state before that date, but could not sell them to someone else.

This new law, as I understood it, required you get rid of those which were legal before.

JALLEN is absolutely correct on this. I believe it was part of CA's "Assault Weapon Ban", or at least passed about the same time. I think it took effect 1/1/2000. If you already had them, you could keep and use them. You couldn't bring them in to the state, couldn't offer them for sale, couldn't advertise them, couldn't manufacture them, ... (I don't remember whether or not you could loan them out, I'd have to go find the code section)

If you liked your magazines, you could keep your magazines, at least until prop 63 was passed by the voters and/or the whole "Gunmageddon" raft of shit laws was passed by the legislature to the the wind out of Gavin Useless, uh, I mean Gavin Nuisance, uh, I mean the libtard that would be governor and his initiative, prop 63.

Oh the joys of living where far too many of the voters would far too stupid to breathe if it required conscious thought...

Posts: 7101 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Komifornia and there damned propositions. They should just call them preparations cause the tax payer winds up taking them in the end...

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Judge Gorsuch joined Judge Thomas on this position.

Talk about first world problems - my first thought was that I wouldn't mind if the log raft didn't make it to the SCOTUS mill until after Trump puts another appointee on the bench. I admit it, I'm starting to get spoiled.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post