SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dashboard instrument lights...need to change them.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dashboard instrument lights...need to change them. Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
The left 1/3 of the dash instrument lights on my '97 Toyota Corolla DX are out. I'd like to replace them with LED's. Are there any tricks to this or "gothca's" to avoid? Any suggestions beyond watching "how to" videos on Youtube?? TIA!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
When I last looked into it, one of the main issues was that LEDs would cause hotspots & not the more even consistent lighting of an incandescent.

I'm sure LED tech has improved significantly since then.

Luckily, pulling the cluster on tours shouldn't be too tough compared to a newer car.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I see no reason for LED illumination lights in an instrument cluster that wasn't made for them, even if they do exist. LEDs have a different quality of light than incandescent bulbs. IMO they will make the cluster glare at you at night.

If I'm proven wrong I won't mind.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Had a Honda CRV with a similar lighting problems.
Turned out the issue was a loose plug. Occasionally, a bump would cause them to turn on.
The point is, when I looked repairs the estimate was several hundred dollars. Pretty much the dashboard had to be pulled.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Might have lost the ground on that part of the board (assuming they aren't hard wired, I honestly don't know).

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Two things. How competent are you as a mechanic? The reason I ask, this repair will involve a lot of disassembly to get to those bulbs (essentially you'll be pulling most if not all the instrument cluster and mouldings). Two, I'm kinda going to go along with those who recommend against LED's. I think they'll put out too much light just beneath your line of sight at night. Heck, I use the dimmer dial in my old Ford truck to back off my incandescent dash lights a bit because I find them annoying at full brightness at night.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
My HVAC control knob lights are getting changed out on Monday. 1 lamp is out other 2 working. 70.00 was quoted to me at my local Honda dealership. Getting all 3 done since all the bulbs are original. Going on my fake truck 12 y.o. Honda Element. Pickle Rick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pickle Rick,

Posts: 2877 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
As far as complexity goes, I did this on my 2000 Acura TL. Even the most PITA lamps. Went with OEM bulbs and cannot remember details of doing the job, but it did get done. Very satisfying at night afterwards.

I was gifted the car at 100k miles. No services had been done since 60k. Even the cabin air filter was original. Ewwwwww! The dash lights was one of the last services I did.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I replaced mine with LED's once and hated what they looked like before I put it back together. I ordered some replacement 'peanut' incandescent bulbs with the bayonet connections that let them fit into the stock bases. The factory ones lasted more than 15 years so I may never replace them again.

Later, I did have one of my main 4 general illumination bulbs go out and it wasn't the bulb. I traced it to a surface mount diode (resistor) that had no continuity. I eventually just soldered in a regular axial resistor of the same value, leaving the bad one in place. Works like a charm for five years hence and counting. The alternative was living with it out or replacing the cluster.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
LED's swapped for the standard bulbs shouldn't be an issue, just plug n play, you get into issues when you have modules that have to interpret the signal from a bulb such as swapping LED bulbs into turn signals with incandescent bulbs. In many cases the TS module can't see the bulb resistance with an LED and then goes into a fast flash mode, which is the module thinking a bulb is out.

Dash bulbs, should be straight swap, probably a 194 bulb. I used these guys when I converted my 09 HD dash lights from stock to Blue.

https://www.superbrightleds.co...MEAAYASAAEgI0O_D_BwE

Plug n play.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You will also lose most of your ability to dim them. (unless they've figured out a way around that) At least you will with cheaper LEDs.

(I did it recently, but didn't care about being able to dim them)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Our 94 Volvo 850 had an absolutely silent cabin after 23 years use. Several of the dash lights went out & my Sweet Bride could not tolerate it after a year or so. She had the actual certified dealer replace them in concert with some other service. The lights worked fine, but there was a persistent squeak in the dash board after that.

Even after several major efforts, dealer was unable to chase that down & prevent squeak.

After a couple more years & a couple additional issues arising, after nearly 27 years of nearly flawless service, enough minor tics & groans accumulated such than she traded it in on a Subaru.

She thought 'fixing the lights' would end her annoyance over a very small thing. It didn't.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, y'all. I'll probably just approach it with the KISS philosophy and not bother with LED bulbs.

And the process doesn't look all that difficult. At least you don't have to pull off the ENTIRE dash assembly...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
New incandescent bulbs may give the desired result, over aged bulbs that are there currently.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
New incandescent bulbs may give the desired result, over aged bulbs that are there currently.
That was my experience too.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post