SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Secure schools - a better option
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Secure schools - a better option Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
During my few years as a high school business teacher at a well run philly charter school, the school required all people who entered the school have a key card, including students.

Student entrances had metal detectors with two unarmed security guards, all bags checked.

Posted security guard on all 4 fooors.

The main entrance had an enclosed area that visitors had to be allowed through to get into the actual lobby.

To get into the parking lot required a gate card.

The administration had their head on straight when it came to these things. This was by no means a “ghetto school” either.

It’s one of the top schools in PA. Academics and discipline were the priority, athletics were an after thought. Families would pray to have their kids admitted because the alternative was shitty public education.

An example of how strict: students had to keep cell phones off and in their lockers during the school day. If the student was caught with the phone, or if for some reason the phone went off in the locker. The student received a warning and a detention, if it happened twice they were expelled from the school.

The administration took no shit from students or their parents. I had several students booted out for behavioral or academic issues.

It was a pleasure to teach there because of the strict ENFORCED discipline.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
On the other hand. My wife is still a teacher at a NJ school. It’s a very well funded and nice school.

She teaches normal day classes during the week. Two nights per week, she teaches night school for the problem students who teach day school. She teaches kids who had plenty of chances and don’t give a shit.

Just yesterday, one of her idiot night students posted online that he was going to shoot up the school.

The kid is obviously in a world of trouble now, had his parents house searched for weapknd and made the local news

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post