SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SF stuff not showing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SF stuff not showing Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
iPhone with current iOS and app versions. Using Brave.

I’m no longer seeing the member id for posts. Just the CUT and avatar.

On the New menu drop down, I see no text (ie the selection for new thread).

Only happening in Brave on the phone. Not in Safari. Not on Brave in Windows. Anybody else see this? Know how to fix it?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I pad.
Safari.
All updated.
No issues.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12334 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Turn off Block Cross-site Trackers. The update should clear up the issue but it crashes, a lot.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
iPad w/up-to-date iPadOS
Brave browser
No issues

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cross site blocking modulates the behavior. But I don’t think that’s a new feature, is it? The issue has only recently appeared.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You do not want to disable cross-site tracker blocking. Any site that misbehaves with it enabled you don't really want to use, anyway.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yup, I didn't want to disable the blocking. Just tested to see if it affected behavior. It does.

And I still want to use SF even though there is undesired behavior. Smile What I don't know is why suddenly the change. I've been using Brave with SF for awhile now; why suddenly (past few days) this behavior?

I'll check my iPad.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
cross-site tracker blocking
?

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Yup, I didn't want to disable the blocking. Just tested to see if it affected behavior. It does.

And I still want to use SF even though there is undesired behavior. Smile
Something is awry. I have cross-site tracker blocking enabled in Brave on both my iPad and on my Linux desktop, and it does not interfere with anything on SF.

On my desktop now...

Clicking on the Brave icon on the toolbar does show "Blocked on this page: 2 (10%). In the list to the upper-left it shows "... wordpress.com -", with a red bar to the left. So I suspect the cross-site trackers being blocked are associated with wordpress.com.

It also shows "Domains connected: 5 out of 6." The other five listings in the upper left are:
sigforum.com
fototime.com
linxnet.com (my own site, which hosts my avatar)
superdimension.com
wp.com

They are all followed by "+ signs and green bars to the left, which, I assume, means they are not blocked.

If I expand the wordpress.com listing it shows avatarhost.wordpress.com. I presume Brave believes whatever's hosted there contains cross-site tracking?

TBH: I've never paid much heed to what Brave Shields are doing. In all but a very few cases everything just works. I've never had it cause trouble for me on SF.

I do have Hide Avatars and Signatures For All Users? enabled in Go -> Personal Zone -> Preferences because some members have egregiously annoyingly long signatures and I grew tired of one- or two-line posts with twenty lines of signatures

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

The requested URL /misc/images/Six-Gun_Rig-60x60.jpg was not found on this server.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Oh no! You’re on Double Secret Probation! What did you do? Roll Eyes

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Ok the update didn’t clear the issue. I reported to Brave that this site doesn’t work with their browser.

You can turn the Brave shield off per site. So you can turn Shields off on SIGforum and they’ll still work on other sites. Just click the Lion, click the toggle, then it also allows you to report the site to them.

It’s probably an overzealous blocking algorithm.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m having similar issues with the site using Brave. The last couple of days I’ve been accessing the Forum through Chrome. I tried a couple things to keep using Brave, but thus far, no joy. I should probably use about anything other than a Google product, but I had to download Chrome in order for a guitar lesson site to work.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Knock on digital wood, running Brave on Win11 desktop, not having those issues, I can see all y'alls.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

The requested URL /misc/images/Six-Gun_Rig-60x60.jpg was not found on this server.
Hmmm... Oops! Fixed. Thanks for the heads up!

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I use Brave and have had a few sites with similiar issues. It has always been related to a 'darkening' extension, like DarkReader.

Always.

Posts: 7258 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I use Brave and have had a few sites with similiar issues. It has always been related to a 'darkening' extension, like DarkReader.

Always.

I've never even heard of that. I'll need to look it up. No idea what a darkening extension is.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I must've gotten an update, because Brave on iPadOS is now broken on SF for me, too. Sure enough: Disabling "Block Cross-Site Trackers" fixes it.

With it enabled, some posted images don't show up, either.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
weird, isn't it?

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
weird, isn't it?

Nah. Bugs happen. It's the nature of software. I expect SF isn't there only site they broke.

I highly doubt SF has cross-site tracking built into username links Wink