SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Talk to me about cruise lines and smoking…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk to me about cruise lines and smoking… Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
Back in 2006 there was a bad fire on the cruise ship Star Princess. It was started by what they think was a discarded cigarette on a balcony. It burned on one side of the ship and effected over 200 cabins.

I was going to post this but 71 already did. Cruise lines take this seriously now. The above fire was started because some material used to separate the balconies was not fireproof. The cruise lines made some major changes after this incident in how to build the balconies.

So while very unlikely to happen again they don't play games with that stuff anymore. Fire is one of the worst things that can happen on a ship. I would stick with the designated area.

BTW an Alaskan cruise is the only cruise I want to do now. I'm sure this will be an amazing trip.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16377 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and say that you smoking on your deck regardless of rules is a dick move.

I’d piss on it to put it out if I was above you.

Now THAT sir, would be a … dick move!

As I mentioned above, I’m going to play by the rules. I’d hate it if someone was smoking a cigarette outside.

I'm with ya Ronin, I was trying to exaggerate how I would view you being inconsiderate. I wouldn't actually piss on ya. I'd tell ya to put out the damn cigar!

Was used for effect.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6248 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Save your cigars for when you're off the ship. Since it's Alaska they'll keep the skeeters away Wink

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3431 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
First I have to say I'm on the opposite end of the scale.. I like the smell of a good cigar...

the one cruse ship (small 150 passenger) one I've been on I can't for the life of me figure out how a fire would start on the balcony there was nothing to burn. But the good part was we were at the very rear of the ship and I could go from the balcony to the fan tail and smoke... what was funny was I was back there with a guy both of us smoking cigars and I turned and realized that all the gas cans for the pressure washer were stored against the wall 6 ft away from me. Not in a cabinet just stacked up there.

Hopefully they let you smoke on the fan tail... the problem with that is it does not necessarily take the smoke off the ship... the less pressure of the air on the back of the ship could actually cause the smoke to move forward into and over the ship.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I see the Alaska cruises leaving port almost every day as they sail past our home. I always shake my head when I see them leaving early or late in the season, with rain forecast the entire week. Friends went on a cruise late in the season and ended up in the bar the entire cruise as there was nothing to see. Be sure you avoid the early and late season bookings.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be sure you avoid the early and late season bookings.

June - can’t get more middle than that!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12303 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Cruised Alaska out of Vancouver, picked up some cubans to take with me. They allowed smoking on an upper outside deck, ashtrays and all, it was cold but a nice whiskey, cigar and cool night air was perfect...

Posts: 23229 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Thanks guys - I’ll play by the rules; I don’t Cruise so was really just looking for options.

Thanks for playing by the rules. I wouldn't be one of the ones doing the reporting, but we'd probably have words if I was your neighbor. My version of heaven is sitting on the balcony watching the world go by enjoying the fresh ocean air, not inhaling cigarette smoke.

Enjoy your trip, late June/early July is usually the best time of year up here. Be happy to answer questions about shore excursions and what to do up here.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post