SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another coyote attack...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another coyote attack... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Third time in a week. It's pretty unnerving hearing the pack corner and kill something. They are loud as hell, woke me and the wife up. They had to be right behind my fence, very loud.

There is also a homeless camp in the woody area behind my house, wonder if they have had any issue as they are within close proximity to this pack. If they are getting this close to houses I imagine that means they are getting desperate and dangerous.

Last year we had a big ass bobcat running around but nobody has seen it since last summer. Wonder if it wound up coyote chow.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
They get active around here several times a year. It seems like two or three of them can sound like twenty.

Posts: 6305 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Back in Colorado they would routinely get over 6 ft wooden fences and grab small pets out of the yard. Their call is eerie and cool at the same time.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Most States have no closed season on shooting coyotes. Of course the few one shoots, hardly puts a dent in local populations. It may feel like an accomplishment though.

At times I put a road kill deer in the back field during the heart of Winter. It makes it easier to reduce the bold ones.

Posts: 6163 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Wolves have been very active in our area this spring. Up at the lake place especially. When the daughter and grandson come up to the lake and he is playing outside I am armed. I didn't feel the need for that in the past. Just have had too many sightings during the day and the howling is pretty close at night coming from different packs.

Guy about a mile down the road had DNR set traps for them as they were killing his cattle. Less human activity means more animal activity. The other day someone shot video of a big black bear laying at the entrance going into the mall that's been closed. Looked like it was waiting for Orange Julius to open!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

They pass through our neighborhood regularly. But we are a one section development, surrounded on three sides by state trust land (US 93 on the fourth side). Nightly yipping and howling is a regular thing for us, and they are very close. We have our property fenced by 6ft no climb fencing, and some large dogs, so in 18 years here there has never been a problem with them trying to enter the yard (though they supposedly can jump a 6ft fence). Funniest thing is when the train (about 1/4 mile away) goes by, and whistles for the grade crossing, all of the coyotes, in our development and out in the desert land start howling/singing to the whistle. Sound travels easily over land in the desert night, and it's like a chorus.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you know they were attacking, cornering, or killing anything? Sometimes they just sing, usually at a generally specific time.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Singing, huh. Maybe while singing they are they are holding hands and eating a bowl of puppy chow for Crisskes. Whats next? Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay; what do you call it? Howling? Yipping? Yodeling? Yapping? Kvetching?

I call it singing.

You can call it whatever you want, Doctor Doolittle.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I don't call it anything. It is just what they do.
And anyone with an ounce of brains knows why you come into this thread and post this bs. Good day and goodbye .

posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't call it anything. It is just what they do.
And anyone with an ounce of brains knows why you come into this thread and post this bs. Good day and goodbye .

Bye, Karen.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ok Karen, now I feel bad because you are a women. Which is my deal, not anyone else's.

Anyone who knows me here knows that I have openly posted on this forum about it being much improved having women as an active part of its community. Any time I see something posted that blatantly degrades them I try to point it out.
I am glad you are here.

I do not have anything against Coyotes persae. I have had some very neat encounters with them. Had a very large male and female pair walk with 30 feet of me one late afternoon in heavy timber on my property. Never saw me but they knew I was near. The big male was very leery of something in his mist. Another time saw a pack of five running below me. Watched them for some time.

I have not harmed one. But would to protect my animals or other critters when deemed necessary.

Hunting them is fine. I do think it is prudent to do so. I do not think there is a shortage of them. Nor do I veiw them as domestic type canine's like many do gooder's do. They are a pack predator and they will do whatever is necessary to stay alive.

So again. I am sure based on your post that you like them. So do I. But I do not feel a dead coyote is a bad one either.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
He's calling you a Karen, not saying his name is Karen.

https://www.urbandictionary.co...e.php?term=A%20Karen

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

OT, we have some yotes around here and pick them off whenever the opportunity arises. Neighbor has gotten 2-3 of them over the last year, which usually keeps the other ones gone or at least scarce.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Nuts. I thought you were going to tell us that they'd gotten another folk singer.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Oh, Ok. Whatever. I guess the comma got me. Wink
But maybe he is a woman. Razz Quite possible nowadays.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ok Francis.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Ok Francis.

yep, you too festus Cool

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Oh, Ok. Whatever. I guess the comma got me. Wink

Grammatically correct, that was.

Probably what confused you was him getting your name wrong, Felicia

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So again. I am sure based on your post that you like them. So do I. But I do not feel a dead coyote is a bad one either.

I do like them. I've also snared, trapped, and shot them since I was 14.

I'd rather have coyotes in the woods behind my house than a homeless camp.