SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another coyote attack...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another coyote attack... Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My GSD used to "sing" along with the fire department sirens whenever they came around. Pretty funny, actually. She never did it with police or ambulance sirens, only fire department.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That a girl! Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the early '70 while in school, my friend and I would visit NE Texas bottom land farms and get permission to hunt rabbits. Back then the yote population had been radically hunted down resulting in an overpopulation of crop destroying bunnies. Such is natures .... balance. It wasn't unusual to see twenty or more yotes strung up on a farmers single fence line.

The farmers welcomed us with open arms and asked us to pick up shot cases and not shoot their cows. BTW ... the two of us busted 50+ bunnies in just one Saturday morning.

Now a days it's the feral hogs that tear places up ... nature has it's ways of surviving and thriving in the most unexpected ways.

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 259 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have them here in central Texas too. Often hear them at night. I won’t let my dogs out in the AM unless the sun’s up. Always make my presence known outside in the morning. We have lots of deer roaming and the coyotes feed on them. Pets, mostly cats, periodically disappear.

We have cougars as well.

I live in a subdivision that is rural and in the boonies, surrounded by Texas hill country. The subdivision is only about 1/3 developed so plenty of wildlife habitat.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I live in the Central Texas City Of Bunnyfarts, myself, and coyotes will come trotting down my street anywhere between 9PM and who-knows-when in the morning. That's why I keep hoping for more news about coyote/folk singer interactions - if I knew how to speak coyote, I'd give pep talks to the little flea bags.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Probably what confused you was him getting your name wrong, Felicia

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

quote:
But I do not feel a dead coyote is a bad one either.

Coyotes and hogs are 'shoot on sight' here. Day, night, family party going on - doesn't matter. If we can get a weapon on target before they disappear, they get got.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We're in a semi-rural, now nearly suburban, area in S.E. Michigan. Some of the only untamed woodland in the area is right behind us. We have coyotes and foxes. Deer, too, of course. And bunnies. Next-door-neighbour had a bunny nest with 7-8 babies in it, right next to his front porch, just last week. Also raccoon, opossum, groundhogs, moles, voles, squirrels, chipmunks, a couple varieties of raptors, and even a pair of resident Sand Hill Cranes. Had a pair of owls out in the woods, one year. Haven't had any rattlers around here that I've seen, but I'm told they're around. Regularly see a couple different varieties of "garden" snakes.

The bunnies are cute, but my wife's sorta hopin' the coyotes or raptors get 'em. They're hell on her gardens.

I don't think I've ever heard the coyotes callin', though.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some in my neighborhood. They're keeping the outdoor cat population down. Saw one in my neighbors backyard a few months ago. Sometimes I hear them call at night. It's kinda spooky but then the neighbors huskies get into the act and things get quiet.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Have plenty on the ranch. When they’re down in the valley eating the grounds squirrels, we leave them alone, glad to have them on the payroll. When the come up to the orchard and start chewing on irrigation lines, it is open season. Shoot, snare, terminate with extreme prejudice.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im in Chicago. A big assed city of 2.8 million people, and a couple hundred coyotes!

There was a den of them on the south end of Solider Field, another few dens in Lincoln Park, a kid (5ish years old) got bit by one in Lincoln Pk earlier this week, so did a jogger.

There’s a big pack of them in the cemetery about 5 blocks from my house, and are seen in my neighborhood regularly.

I’ve seen them around the railroad tracks In Englwood (the BAD part of the city), and in downtown. Totally normal seeing them on the lakefront.

They are a pretty adaptable animal, and aren’t that afraid of sharing their space with humans.
And probably like when the dumb humans give them a free meal, but not so much the “petting” thing, the coyotes draw the line there.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to live in densely populated Fairfax, VA until about 2 years ago. Coyotes were common in our suburban neighborhood of about 1600 homes, most of them on 1/4 to 1/2 acre. They would come into my backyard, drink from my pond, then lay down and take a nap. Ate lots of squirrels. Had one report of a pack attacking a full grown Labrador retriever with the owner holding the leash! Eventually, the coyotes left, replaced by foxes.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Thermal night vision is the great equalizer on the farm.

New moon, a can of dog food 200 yards out.

They know I'm out there somewhere, but can't see me, however I CAN see them!

The last thing they know is their head exploding.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
They are not native to Florida but we have them in pretty good numbers. Biologists believe they have been in Florida about 40-50 years.

I have been to a couple seminars put on by wildlife biologists from the state on nuisance wildlife and am fascinated by their adaptability.

They are territorial so you are probably hearing the same ones year after year. Generally a pair will not tolerate trespassing coyotes in their territory. They are carrion eaters. We hear them partying late at night after we have dumped deer or hog carcasses after a successful hunt. We almost never see them in daylight. I do not hunt them, partly because they are controlling rodents, not harming much, and partly because I am concerned about shooting a red wolf by mistake.

Wildlife biologists tell us their diet consists largely of plant material, but they are opportunists and will eat just about anything including whitetail deer, rodents, rabbits, your house cat, your garbage, and pet food that is left outside. Some will take young calves but not all coyotes hunt livestock-it is a learned behavior. If you have coyotes in your area that have learned to hunt livestock you have a problem. Many dead calves attributed to coyotes were killed by other predators such as bears, panthers, bobcats, feral dogs, or buzzards, or were stillborn and were eaten by carrion eaters. Virtually all ranchers in this area believe coyotes prey on calves. Where we live there is an abundance of food in the wild so livestock predation is not a big problem, not to say it won't be in the future.

They are also picking off some feral hog piglets which is a good thing. One thing is for sure, they are here to stay.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
They are common here in upstate NY and even are in the nearest (to me) city - Rochester. I've seen them in my neighborhood. It has been my experience that most people have no idea they are here. The hunting season for them here is quite liberal. I hunt on lands owned by several different farmers and some encourage me to harvest "yotes while others ask that I not take them. I've never actively hunted them; the ones I've taken have been during deer season (including one with my bow). They get big here! Several years ago a town DPW employee I know picked a dead one up off the side of the road and it weighed 75 pounds, leading to speculation of it having some wolf in its DNA.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One came trotting thru my little piece of SE Ohio heaven while I was letting Superdog out this morning. Fortunately SD is oblivious to her surroundings and didn't spot it, or it might have gotten out of hand. Add in the fact that I was buck nekkid and it just wouldn't have ended well.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
They are not native to Florida but we have them in pretty good numbers. Biologists believe they have been in Florida about 40-50 years.

One thing is for sure, they are here to stay.

A close friend of mine is a fishing guide on Sanibel Island. He told me they've become established there which I found hard to believe, but it's true. They are one of the most adaptable creatures out there.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Haven’t had them n any numbers locally for quite some time. There was a bounty on them in several counties once and they got wrecked in a few short weeks.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Haven’t had them n any numbers locally for quite some time. There was a bounty on them in several counties once and they got wrecked in a few short weeks.

In AZ, there is open season on coyotes year round, with no bag limit.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
TMK, wildlife biologists are big fans of suburban, and urban coyotes, provided they do not form large packs.

The more coyotes, the less rats, feral cats, etc. (Supposedly, the predominant form of their prey, in that environment, is rat.)

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The other night they were definitely eating something. Something being eaten that's not happy about being eaten is a distinct sound. But they were at again last night, just the pack yelping and making noise, don't think they were eating anything Dogs were plenty pissed off about it.

Earlier in the night my dogs were flipping out at the fence, fur up and very agitated. my dogs are both large 80+ pounds but I worry the coyotes are looking for a canine snack. The coyote are coming right to the fence and don't seem to give a shit

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post