SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your definition of a high mileage car? And which car makes are you comfortable with buying high mileage?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your definition of a high mileage car? And which car makes are you comfortable with buying high mileage? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Anymore, high mileage is after the original factory warranty is expired on the vehicle, or would have expired...by mileage. That's the amount of miles that the manufacture was comfortable staking their money on, with proper preventative maintenance.

Toyota powertrain warranties are only 3 years, 36,000 miles.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

No, that's Toyota's full new car warranty term.

Toyota's powertrain warranty runs nearly double that, to 60 months/60,000 miles. This more limited warranty only covers the engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel-drive system, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts, and airbags.

Most manufacturers have similar these days... A more widely applicable full warranty for the first few years (typically 3-4 years and 36k-48k miles), then a more limited powertrain-only warranty for longer (typically 6-10 years and 60k-100k miles)

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

No, that's Toyota's full new car warranty term.

Toyota's powertrain warranty runs nearly double that, to 60 months/60,000 miles. This more limited warranty only covers the engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel-drive system, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts, and airbags.

Most manufacturers have similar these days... A more widely applicable full warranty for the first few years (typically 3-4 years and 36k-48k miles), then a more limited powertrain-only warranty for longer (typically 6-10 years and 60k-100k miles)

Also 10 year, 150k mikes on hybrid components

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I have 385,000 miles on my 2016 Honda CRV. Any takers?!!!!!!

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I've got an old Dodge with 147,000 fun filled haulin' ass V10 roaring miles on it.

It is just getting started.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I factor several other metrics into the equation besides mileage in determining whether a used vehicle is a good acquisition.

--Does the vehicle have comprehensive maintenance records which reflect prudent prior ownership?
--Does the particular make / model have known critical maintenance history issues such as timing belt replacement or head gasket leakage? Have they been performed or now due?
--Does the exterior/interior reflect abuse or care?
--Is there a carfax or other reliable report reflecting any damage / accident history?

Over the years a number of cars have attained a good rep for lasting well into 6 digit mileage territory. Those that immediately come to mind are the old Dodge Dart slant 6, 2nd Gen Toyota 4Runner V8. some Mercedes diesel, and Lexus sedans, etc.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
No specific reccomendations, but I have an anecdote. In 1980 I retired from USAF and moved to Dallas, Texas. I was driving a 1980 Mercury Capri and fter 6 years decided I wanted aa new car. One of the biggest Ford dealers in the area was a member of my church, so I went to that place to look. I ended up buying a new 1986 Ford Mustang GT with the 302 (5.0 L) engine and a 5-spd manual trans. Some years later I was shooting at the local indoor range and a man and his son shooting next to me commented favorably on my ability with my Grizzly pistols (.45 Win Mag and .50AE) and we had friendly chats. We lest about the same time and he commented on the name plate on the rear of my car, expressing his pleasure that I'd purchased it at his dealership. (I assusmed he worked there. He commented that it was a sound car and if I kept upp with the routine maintenance it would go at least 200,000 miles without major repairs. (I later found out that he owned the dealership.) I drove that vehicle for 20 years and put 183,000 miles on it. I sold it after buying my current daily driver, a 2006 Mustang GT. For a short time I had 3 red Mustangs (rebuilt 1966 in garage--still there).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the 80's and 90's, my extended family primarily purchased Hondas and Toyotas. We favored Hondas until the early 2000's when we experienced several with peeling clearcoats. The transmission issues with several V6 Hondas in the 2010s pretty much shifted everyone to Toyotas or Lexus. We do have a few who liked the MBs, BMWs and Audis, but those were not kept too long. It wasn't because of reliability issues but more due to the cost of maintenance.

Toyota T-100/1st gen Tundra - 2 models with 200K+, and currently driven
Toyota 2nd gen Tundra - 3 w/ 150K+ - 2 of which are still owned and in used, 1 traded in for a 3rd gen Tundra
Toy 3rd gen 4Runner - 287k, wrecked but was still going strong until then; another sold with 200K
'89 Acura Integra GS, 187K, sold (wished I kept it)
'96 Accord, wrecked @220K, experienced blown rear seal around 110K (recall TSB)
Lexus RXs/GXs, numerous generation models, none have given us any problems. We joke these were the ubiquitous Asian soccer moms' SUVs in our family.
3 Lexus LSes - 1 XF30 & 2 XF40. Not dailies and all have low mileage
3 Audi G5s, all over 100k. No major issues.
Audi A5, brake job for all four wheel costing close to $500 at shop cost in parts prompted the sale with under 60K on the odometer

In short any Toyota or Lexus models. Preference to those built in Japanese plants. This is demoted by a "J" as the first character in the VIN. Low milage is sub 100K. I expected no major issues beyond scheduled maintenance and timing belts(as applicable) until 200K. After 200K, expect ball joints and other suspension components needing to be replaced.

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Many cars made in the last 20 years or so will last well over 100,000 miles easily, if given proper care. Especially if they spent their life below the rust belt, areas that have real winters, bad road conditions, and salt. Some areas near salt water environments may also be negatively effected.

Before that, my experience has been since the late '60, the cars were crap by comparison. The main chassis and components would start rusting from both internal and external causes to eventual structural failure. Within five years many were at or approaching structural failure due to rust.
Materials were much less durable, belts, hoses and other rubber parts were frequent replacement items. Tune ups, valve adjustments, etc.? Mostly a non-issue now. Lubricants have been created that are far superior and long lasting since then. Manufacturing techniques, tolerances and just fundamental design are far better in most areas.

Another area of tremendous improvement is safety. The death rate per million miles started coming down in the early 70's and is a little under half what it was in the late 60's. Probably the most obvious factor is the seat belt requirements but there have been lots of other improvements causing a continuous drop in that rate.

So back to the original question, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase many well maintained cars with 100,000 miles (or go on a long trip) as long as the price reflected the age and condition. Especially for utilitarian purposes. Impressing the friends or neighbors, if that's you thing, is obviously a different issue.
The brand and exact model are important too as some can be much more costly for even routine maintenance (European cars especially).

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
132,000 miles on my dog hauler, Chevy HHR
181,000 on my 1998 Silverado. Both vehicles have not needed anything more than routine maintenance.

Posts: 414 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many cars made in the last 20 years or so will last well over 100,000 miles easily, if given proper care

I believe this is accurate. We've always been a buy new or very close to it, take great care of car mechanically and cosmetically, and it will give great, long service. We are in the over 100K club with no major services/cost issues for everything from our first '86 CRX to our more recent 2014 ML350.

We got that one with 14K, now has 160K and we've not had any major issues. First front brake replacement was about 10K ago...... Smile

I get the fears for non-Japanese foreign makes, but every time I see the arguments about not driving beyond warranty I'm always reminded of my own math - the incremental cost just in taxes for replacing a $40-$80K car every 3-4 years will pay for a few minor or a major repair item.

Not talking about an engine/transmission, but for example the stability control system pump on an M3. Yeah I paid $4K for that, but on a 12 year old car I love and for a fraction of the costs I'd have spent updating the whole car 3-4 times by then it's nothing.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
There was a recent article stating that 54% of Ford Super Duty trucks make it to 250,000 miles.

I don't remember any cars in the top 10.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Purchasing several 80's and 90's Hondas with 100K to 120K and keeping them to 200K to 300K has worked well. Most were purchased privately with good maintenance records so there were no big surprises. Around 140K to 160K they typically need suspension work like struts and CV joints. Alternators and AC also typically needed attention before 200K. I'd expect Toyotas to be similar.

Some specific models and years seem to have issues with transmissions or other major things, so it does pay to research well.

I'm rebuilding an old Camry, replacing ALL that stuff you listed and more. When finished I should be able to drive it another 100k or more without looking sideways. I think modern front and awd drive systems in modern cars are not particularly durable past 100k or a little more, at least downstream the drive shafts. I calculated the mileage of my last full tank on that old camry, 30.9 mpg. Not bad for an old gasoline sedan, I'm pretty happy with that figure. This weekend I hope to start and finish replacing the tensioner and water pump with new (genuine Toyota) units. On this car you have to disconnect the passenger side motor mount and jack up the engine a couple inches to secure access to the tensioner main bolt, and removal of the alternator to gain access to the water pump. I'm not sure the condition of the water pump, but the tensioner is 100% shot, and I'm not going in again to do a water pump later, since those two parts wear out together.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only keep a vehicle to 100k and that's when they start to give a lot of problems, not necessarily with the engine, but the electrical components in the vehicle and etc. The problem nowadays is there is SO MANY different electrical systems in a vehicle and all complex with $$$ parts.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post