SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honestly, how many of you don't know what a....
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Honestly, how many of you don't know what a.... Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We have Czechs in Texas, but not too many Poles. So we have kolaches, but no paczkis.

For Mardi Gras, we get King Cake because New Orleans is close.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Never mind that, what is Fat Tuesday?

Bob
It's the day before Lent starts. Some Christian denominations give up something (eg sweets) during the 40 days of Lent. When they crave it they're supposed to pray.

Therefore, some people gorge themselves on rich, fatty, sugary foods on Fat Tuesday and King's cake and Paczki are two of the most popular Fat Tuesday sweets.

Most faiths give up meat. Which is why the Greek version of Fat Tuesday is pretty much an orgy of meat.
Must be an Orthodox thing.

My Catholic friends give up meat on Fridays only but give up something else (eg sweets) for all 40 days.

My protestant friends are hit & miss on giving up something for Lent. Depends on their upbringing and current denomination.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
in the world of pastries,
I turn a blind eye to the nationality thing.

I have very fond memories of the church ladies making 200 or so kolaches in 5 or 6 varities.

this would happen four or five times a year

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Add me to the list of the unwashed. I may possibly have heard of them, but have no idea what they are.

Me too

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Who said that?

Who the fuck said that?

Who's the comunistshittwinkletoescocksucker who just called a Paczki a JELLY DONUT??

Was that you you little slime ball? I bet it was.... I bet you're the kind of guy that calls croissant a breakfast roll... I'll be watching you!

I tell you this, if Hartman had found a Paczki in Pyle's foot locker he would have praised him for securing a proper pastry!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It's not possible in this area to not know what they are, and probably not to have had one over the years. Not a big fan of them, but I've had a lot of worse things over the years.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Despite growing up in Australia and India, I came to love pazckis once I arrived in Michigan. Since then my love for them has grown. Nowadays, having developed diabetes, I dont eat any desserts and any sugary foods, except on Fat Tuesday. So this Tuesday, I was lining up in the cold Michigan morning for the bakery to open at 6am!!! Got a dozen traditional pazckis, and the German version, bought over by German immigrants to SE Michigan.
Well, I had to take extra shots of insulin, but it is these small sacrifices that on has to make, eh? SmileSmileSmile

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Grew up in Chicago, German/Polish ancestry, never heard of them. But, I'm a picky eater and don't like jelly donuts, so it's possible they were around when we went visiting but I wasn't interested.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Who said that?

Who the fuck said that?

Who's the comunistshittwinkletoescocksucker who just called a Paczki a JELLY DONUT??

Was that you you little slime ball? I bet it was.... I bet you're the kind of guy that calls croissant a breakfast roll... I'll be watching you!

I tell you this, if Hartman had found a Paczki in Pyle's foot locker he would have praised him for securing a proper pastry!

Well ok then, somebody's a little sensitive over their jelly doughnuts, I mean jelly filled pastry Razz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lugerguards:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by lugerguards:
I hope you are using lard to fry them in!

Nope. She used peanut oil.

Didn't claim they were traditional--just very, very good. Brought over a dozen into work, to give away. Got the same reactions.

Sorry that wasn't meant in a judgmental tone. I shouldn't admit to eating items made with or fried in lard lol.

No harm, no foul Smile

I'm a traditionalist. When I came home to find my wife making paczki, knowing lard was part of the process and she wouldn't touch lard with a 10' pole, I was a bit >< taken aback.

She actually found a way, get this, to make relatively "healthy" paczki. She's good at that, my wife is. She makes all kinds of stuff where I go "that couldn't have been healthy" and she replies "Actually..."

One thing is: She never uses substitutes for Real Food. She'll use healthier alternatives, such as 2% milk in place of cream (and somehow make it work), but, she won't use margarine, sugar substitutes and the like.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post