SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Furnace isn't blowing. Anything I can check? *** FIXED *** :)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Furnace isn't blowing. Anything I can check? *** FIXED *** :) Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I replaced the capacitor and the blower works as expected. All is well.

$8 for the part.

Hell yeah!!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20839 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Sounds like flame sensor. It's not seeing that it's lit and turning off so it doesn't pump gas into the house. Where you see that pretty blue flame look for a sensor with a wire leading to the control board. Remove one or two screws holding it in. It will look like a piece of porcelain with metal rod coming out of it, if you see a smell heating element looking thing, that is your hot surface ignitor, put it back and grab the other thing. If one only has a single wire leading to it, that one is most likely the flame sensor.

If it's not cracked or broken then you can clean the metal portion with a green scotch Brite pad and put it back this will buy a few days to months to source a replacement. If it is cracked or broken then you're out of commission until it's replaced.

**Edit no fan at all when set to fan only means you can probably disregard everything I typed.

You can disregard everything you posted due to the first post mentioning 'open limit'.

Your troubleshooting skills to HVAC problems is a good example of why I roll my eyes every time someone tells me they had their electrician look at their furnace, before calling an actual HVAC company.

As in this case, it's a simple electrical issue for a non working blower motor and your out playing in left field.

Not only was the diagnosis completely off base, but you offer up mis-information on replacing good parts.

Why change a flame sensor which doesn't have a cracked/broken isolator?
Did the smoke somehow magically get removed from the solid piece of metal?

A flame sensor with a cracked/broken isolator isn't a guaranteed no heat situation.

Not to mention someone mistakenly messing with a carbide type igniter.
Ooops, you mean you can't clean, touch, tap, bang or drop them. Damn, I bet they wish they knew they was as delicate as the lead in a pencil. But now their replacing it too.

We'll leave the three wire pilot, spark, smart valve systems, and nitride igniters.... for another day.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post