SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Uhaul trailer hitches
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uhaul trailer hitches Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Are they decent quality?

I typically order from eTrailer but just Friday we decided we’re going on a road trip in a week and I’m not sure if an order from eTrailer would make it here on time.

Just wondering about the quality of Uhaul if eTrailer can’t get my order here by Thursday or Friday. Looks like they’re located in MO but that doesn’t mean they don’t drop ship from elsewhere. I suspect MO to Orlando won’t take that long but you never know.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Do you already have a reviver and only need the ball and mount?

U-Haul uses 1-7/8 and 2 inch compatible ball hitch.

I picked up my mount and ball from Wamart for less than $20 a few years ago and have hauled nearly a dozen times with U-Haul equipment.

The U-Haul equipment (balls/mounts) look like good equipment, that I have seen while picking things up, and browsing at what they sell.

(dual axle car transport trailers with +5000 lb vehicles at 80MPH (and maybe more...) behind a 2010 F-150 super crew.

(But if I went faster than the speed limit, it was to avoid running over a turtle or something benevolent and selfless, not like real lawbreaking...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43925 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The permanent hitch that is installed to the vehicle. Yes, the Uhaul ones are good quality from what I've seen.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Checking their website, it looks like U-Haul uses Draw-Tite and Curt for the most part, and when I was selling them about 10 years ago for an automotive supply company, they were OK, although I liked Reece hitches a little better.

The main thing I'd look at is how close to the bottom of your vehicle the hitch fits, as you don't want it dragging when you're going in or out of a driveway, as one example.

I'm assuming you want to buy one this time rather than rent, and leave it permanently attached?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Equipment should be good to go. Install by them, might be less than desired.

Do yourself a favor and grab a plug and play wiring kit. If you don't, those pinch splices will fail in a few months/years and your wiring harness will also have added weak points.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I bought my hitch for my Sorento from U-Haul and had them install it after I saw what a pain installing the wiring harness would be. No regrets at all and I've had zero issues since then.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had one put on a vehicle about 10 years ago and it worked well. I would be somewhat familiar with how the hitch installs as some vehicles it's just bolt right in. Others may require the frame to be drilled. The car I had the Uhaul hitch on was bolt on. I had an Outback I decided to not do at all because the dealer cost was super high and the install required drilling. I didn't really like the idea of Uhaul in that case (just gut feeling) and decided to just go with a roof-top cargo box instead.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
There was a recall on my U-Haul hitch. The manufacturer had excellent records and was not concerned about my hitch. I've never heard of one failing, ever.

Their packaging tape may be as thin as tissue, but the only thing I dislike about the hitches is their U-Haul logo displayed on my truck when using the kitch.

I've used my factory 2" receiver a bunch of times, always with my U-Haul hitch. It was under $30, the pin is not key-locking, but evidently no one steals these things.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an etrailer.com hitch, but frankly they all seem to be about the same quality. On line is just cheaper. If you need it quick, you just pay for the service premium.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post