SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    does your two stage snow blower have a reverse gear?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

does your two stage snow blower have a reverse gear? Login/Join 
posted
am looking at new blowers , still have not decided between single and two stage.

I am wondering how important reverse gear is,
I have a 800 sq ft drive way.

my currant single stage is only 40 lbs. and I don't need a reverse at all .

but the 2 stager's are all over 85 lbs.

what say you ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
My tracked snowblower has reverse, and I use it every time. Where I live, sometimes the snow is heavy and deep. For those storms, I use the two stage. If the storm brings powdery snow, four inches or less, I use a single stage Toro. The paddles on the single stage do a better job of cleaning sidewalks and driveways. The double stage works better for clearing large drifts and when I get plowed in.

I have thought about replacing the Toro with this Honda.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ho...er-HS720AS/205224284

Both machines work best with ethanol-free gas. Fortunately it is available in my area. It costs more, but when maintained correctly, the machines start with one pull.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Ariens Deluxe 24" 2 stage; I use reverse many times every session. My old MTD blower didn't have R and was one of the reasons I ditched it.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My Troy-Bilt 2-stage blower has 6 forward and 2 reverse speeds. I've only ever used the fastest forward speed and never use the reverse function as it's way too slow.

But then that is probably why I get sore from manually pulling the whole blower backwards. Wink

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Aliens 24” compact- yes for reverse, but it’s rare that I use it. It is a lot faster for me to simply walk it backwards.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use a an Ariens 24” 2-stage for the big stuff...like today...and a Troy Bilt Squall for the lighter stuff.

I use the reverse frequently since I have a neighbor who doesn’t do his job of cleaning sidewalks and around the fireplug. Just easier than trying to muscle it everywhere.

My wife prefers the single stage, but loves that the big boy has multiple speeds and the reverse.

No way the single would have cut through the drifts and deep stuff I woke up to this morning.

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
I have Ariens 24" compact. Anytime I use it the reverse comes into play most times. My driveway is a bit steep. John

Posts: 2878 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Depends on how much snow you get. Every time I snowblow I use the reverse and forward; and I must use varying forward speeds for different snow levels.

When you're cutting through 3-4-5-6 ft of snow and have to back up, it is nice have the reverse gear. There are some places I snowblow that I can't turn around and have to reverse.

Oh-and to the person that has only used the fastest forward speed-and never reverse-that just means you rarely have over a few inches of snow to blow!!

Honda HS1132 TAS; it is a snow-cannon. Can throuw the wet, heavy slush over 30 feet! Typical snow we get it'll throw it 50' plus. Not going to say it makes it fun to snowblow...but... Big Grin

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Yes. I wouldn’t have one without it. You’ll use it a lot more than you think even on a small driveway.

Posts: 12472 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh-and to the person that has only used the fastest forward speed-and never reverse-that just means you rarely have over a few inches of snow to blow!!

The only time you should ever use the fast setting is for getting the snow blower to where the snow starts...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Mine has a reverse but I only use it if I'm backing up an incline

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Ariens 24" Platinum SHO with 2 reverse speeds and would never buy one without reverse.

I used to just pull it backwards when I needed to until I slipped and fell backwards a couple of times because I slipped on ice under the snow. Now every time I need to reverse I use the reverse gears on the blower and never fall on my back.

Falling backwards or almost falling backwards sucks. The reverse gear stops that.

Posts: 2490 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
my currant single stage is only 40 lbs. and I don't need a reverse at all .

but the 2 stager's are all over 85 lbs.

what say you ?

I say get a Toro SnowMaster. It's a single-stage that thinks it's a two-stage. Toro claims it's their highest-performing snow blower. It has all the advantages of a two-stage and none of the disadvantages.

Hit YouTube and look at several SnowMaster videos. You'll see guys clearing stuff that's over the top of the intake with ease.

And, yes: It really does throw snow that far. I love ours!

Our driveway is about 1500 sqft.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I would never buy a snow blower again without electric start, power steering and a reverse gear.
My Craftsman 26" two stage will let me throw snow across the street if I want to.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Lemmee check

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, just checked

Yeah, I don't own a snow blower.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
OK, just checked

Yeah, I don't own a snow blower.

Big Grin

At 42.5 North latitude, snowblowers are nearly essential.

And yes, my Ariens 624 has 2 reverse gears. At 160 pounds it helps maneuverability. They come in handy running back the same path when doing my sidewalk to front door, or the path to my back door.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Big Grin

At 42.5 North latitude, snowblowers are nearly essential.

And yes, my Ariens 624 has 2 reverse gears. At 160 pounds it helps maneuverability. They come in handy running back the same path when doing my sidewalk to front door, or the path to my back door.

Pretty sure what we got in MN today rolled right over IA. Went out at noon today and cleared 4 driveways in the Cul de Sac of 6+" of snow. It's still snowing and we're supposed to get more over the weekend. At least it's a balmy +24F Cool - that's A LOT better than it was earlier this month.

I've got a 44" blower attached to the front of my JD x310, so I'd have to answer yes I've got reverse... I'd say the bigger the machine, the more important reverse would be to me.

Posts: 1805 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My Craftsman has 6 fwd and 2 reverse. If I'm backing up the lower part of my driver way which has an incline, I use Rev2. If I'm just backing up a short distance to reposition it wheels so free that I don't bother, I just tip it up and pull back. It is very well balanced.

I will say spend the extra $50-100 and get the joystick chute control. If its worth it not having to crank that handle and stop and adjust the chute angle all the time.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37992 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
30" Ariens with 2 reverse speeds. It's still faster for me to just rock it back and pull it backwards though.

Posts: 3466 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post