Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
There is so much here.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I have debated with myself about posting this, but always end up with "Yes" it needs to be posted.

SFC Nick Lavery: Awarded the Silver Star. at least a couple purple hearts. My view is that he should have received the MOH for his actions.

Nate: Bronze Star (V), 2 purple hearts. He was told that he was being submitted for the Silver Star (4 different times) and refused it, 4 different times. Said that he had not done anything that the other team members would have done. They persisted, and he told them if they pursued it he would leave the team. One instance involved his riding his patrol vehicle (4 wheeler, Razer(?) through the kill zone, 4 times hauling ammo to the team members involved in a firefight with the bad guys. Had all 4 tires and a bunch of other stuff shot out doing that. Just one example.

He started out at 5 years of age, saying he was going to be a navy seal. That lasted a month or so, then he was going to be a Green Beret. He applied for the selection process right out of basic and with endorsements from his DI and others was granted admission to the selection process. One of very few who even make it through into selection.

His second Purple Heart was when the team arrived back in Afghanistan. Not even at their camp yet when they were ambushed by some insiders. 2 AF guys from the team were killed. Nate took a round through the lower jaw. Holding his jaw in place with one hand, he killed the insider (interpreter) who was on the vehicle with them. He is still facing surgery from his IED experience (first purple heart) as well as from the wound to his jaw.

His team was broken up, as I understand it, a normal practice to spread the knowledge. He is on a 3 year assignment teaching other troops. He HATES it. Wants to be back with the team.

Nick is doing something else, but will probably never get back on a team.

Remember, Nick lost his right leg, well above the knee. He does dead lifts of 405 lbs. To prove he could do the job back on the team, he spent many hours working on that one leg. Jumping from standing start to the top of a 36 inch box, making it every time. Decided to try for 42 inches, made that about half the time.

I guess it sounds like I am bragging on these 2 guys. I am not! I am merely providing some insight into what they do. People who have never worn the uniform of this country may have trouble understanding what makes these guys tick. I do not, I know what makes them tick!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Elk,

Yes, it does need to be posted. I only wish each of the protesting millionaires could read it.

Your Grandson is a hero even though "he didn't do anything the others wouldn't have done". The blessing of this country is that there are not only men like your grandson, but there are teams of them. He did what his team would do so it was no big deal...um, I don't think so.

God Bless your Grandson, your family, and the men and women of the US Armed Forces.

Thank you.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
Elk,

Yes, it does need to be posted. I only wish each of the protesting millionaires could read it.

Your Grandson is a hero even though "he didn't do anything the others wouldn't have done". The blessing of this country is that there are not only men like your grandson, but there are teams of them. He did what his team would do so it was no big deal...um, I don't think so.

God Bless your Grandson, your family, and the men and women of the US Armed Forces.

Thank you.

Thanks for your thoughts and blessings!

Having spent a good deal of time with guys from his team, I fully understand their attitude.

To lighten the moment a bit: On one of their missions over there, they intercepted a transmission from the bad guys to other bad guys. That message stated:

""when out on patrol, do not shoot at those guys with beards, they shoot back, and they will chase you down and kill you!"

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this thread.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
usmc-nav, thank you for posting these beautiful words.

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I have debated with myself about posting this, but always end up with "Yes" it needs to be posted...

I guess it sounds like I am bragging on these 2 guys. I am not! I am merely providing some insight into what they do. People who have never worn the uniform of this country may have trouble understanding what makes these guys tick. I do not, I know what makes them tick!

Yes, this needed to be posted. Nick and Nate are heroes and we need to know about these young men. Fred, because you are here and you have let us know about these men, I received a great thrill in helping you help them and their team. What you are saying about then is not bragging, its fact.

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
OP--- did you forget to credit the author of that piece you posted??/

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I have debated with myself about posting this, but always end up with "Yes" it needs to be posted...

Yes, this needed to be posted. Nick and Nate are heroes and we need to know about these young men. Fred, because you are here and you have let us know about these men, I received a great thrill in helping you help them and their team. What you are saying about then is not bragging, its fact.

Screen got all blurry, must need some maintenance, or something.

I would point out, most humbly that members of this forum donated will more than $1000 for "care packages" sent to the team. Does not include the pallet load of care packages that they received from individual members here.

I got a report that their water system over there had failed, and the only way they could shower was basically a helmet of cold water.

They soon received several of those "sun shower" things that would heat water for a shower by being hung in the sunlight.

Skin lotion, etc, etc, etc, etc. Not to mention a couple dozen rolls of "chew".

Thanks, again, and again, and again to all here who have done so much to support those guys over there putting it all on the line.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter