SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WWII history enthusiasts, do you know the story of Jean de Selys Longchamps?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WWII history enthusiasts, do you know the story of Jean de Selys Longchamps? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
This story is incredible. I cannot believe I just learned about it today. Belgian born RAF pilot Jean de Selys Longchamps embarks on an unapproved mission by himself and attacks a Nazi Gestapo headquarters in Brussels to avenge his fathers death. This is an amazing story that until today managed to fly completely under my radar. The part about doing a fly by of his target to draw the maximum number of Nazis to the windows of the high rise before he opened up on it with his Hawker Typhoon’s 20mm cannons…wow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21051 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hadn't heard of this before.
Interesting story. Surprised it hasn't been turned into a movie by now.

Posts: 9442 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Don't piss off the Belgian aristocracy! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would make a great movie!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. I've read about 200 books
about WWII, never heard that story.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Would make a great movie!

Sound like Flight Of The Intruder.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A YouTube military historian I really like, Mark Felton, also did a video on it a few years back.

(If you like WW2 history, you owe it to yourself to subscribe to Mark Felton Productions. And he occasionally covers other 20th century military history topics too.)

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I am surprised someone hasn’t taken the story and tried to make a film out of it. I think it has a hell of a lot more potential than Operation Valkyrie did especially considering that everyone already knew how that story was going to end.

I think if someone didn’t make a film but rather made a series of mostly untold/obscure fascinating stories with the majority being stand alone episodes there is quite a bit of material from WWII that would make for one hell of a series.

This is another one of my favorite, lesser known stories of WWII. A lot of people are aware of “dazzle” camo on ships in WWII but this story takes camouflage of naval ships to the next level.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21051 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this, I will watch later.

quote:
If you like WW2 history, you owe it to yourself to subscribe to Mark Felton Productions.

I concur, I love his videos on WWII.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1720 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post