SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Need A Gadget To Hold Onions For Slicing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Need A Gadget To Hold Onions For Slicing Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Ron Popeil Has your back Cool

Veg-O-Matic

It slices… it dices…

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
In a restaurant I worked in, we had an apparatus that pushed an onion (or anything) through ten or twelve blades, slicing it into uniform slices. It was a time saver since it could slice a dozen onions in three or four minutes. It was a restaurant grade, big old thing.

It wasn't this one, but this one is a lot like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Vegetab...urants/dp/B0B72FMFDV

That thing brings back some memories. As a mid teen I worked at the local dairy queen. I'd have to prep/chop a 50# bag of onion. Slaw... hot dogs... chili... etc... lots of things needed chopped onions. I actually after a while became immune to the off gas of onions. I'd sit there still faced. Others would walk through the room looking like they had just been hit with OC Gas!! Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4198 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Huh. I thought a Mandolin was a musical instrument--one of my uncles played one. Never heard of it used in the kitchen.

Given the need, I think I'd opt for the multi-pronged stabber used as a guide. I'd use it to slice Spam for browning.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I Need A Gadget To Hold Onions For Slicing

Razz

But seriously, I'm with Spudgun: bisect that critter first, then lay the flat side down and get to cutting. It won't bring me nice round slices for a sammich, but I'm okay with that.

God bless America.

Posts: 13507 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“If you are chopping the Slap Chop actually works well.”

https://youtu.be/ZH12Xxt2hBw

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
On page 1 of this thread I posted about my onion fork, with photos of its use to slice bagels. Before I bought that specialized onion fork, I’d been using an ordinary meat fork to hold onions safely and stably while slicing them. One similar to this Amazon offering:

https://a.co/d/1pfpkJl

It worked pretty well for that purpose. And it’s likely that you have a meat fork or two in your kitchen drawers.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8977 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Fork them onions.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I worked in the meat department of a supermarket years ago when they still cut and ground meat there on site unlike today and some of those butchers used those chain mail gloves for certain tasks.

did that gig for 19yrs, (35 in the business)
when I was an apprentis and later a cutter, you could buy one if you wanted from the guys that serviced the grinder and provided saw blades, but it was frowned upon,

reason was simple arrogance, we were trained to cut meat, not ourselves, and you never wore one whilst on the saw,

years later, when I was running the store vs the dept, it was mandated that everyone using a knife wore cut resistent gloves,

hard learning curve for some cutters, and it also added another bit of washing and sanitizing,
the metal gloves would get keep you hand cold, and the nylon gloves were a nightmare to get clean,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
From what I remember, you’re supposed to put a latex or nitrile glove on under the chain mail one - but I don’t remember anyone using one.

I would on a mandolin.

Fantastic tool, but terrifying.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post