SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Need A Gadget To Hold Onions For Slicing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Need A Gadget To Hold Onions For Slicing Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I'm tired of getting blood on my sandwiches.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a mandolin? Equally capable of shaving fingers along with veg, but not if you use the spiked veg gripper/handle thing and aren't an idiot.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/ESINAM-...istant/dp/B092VYKBDT

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2841 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A mandolin is great. But I’ve always cut the onion in half first ( pole to pole). The large surface area on the bottom makes it easier. I also use a cut resistant glove when I want to dice an onion like a chef.

Posts: 105 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just practice some good knife skills.

Use a sharp knife and the proper one. Chef knife is best.

You can cut a small slice off one side to create a stable base so it won’t move on you. Or just cut the onion in half and place cut side down and cut half slices.

Learning the proper technique is far better than some gadget.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Have you considered a mandolin?

... If he's already cutting himself with just a knife, he's even more likely to really filet some fingers with a mandolin slicer! Eek

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

This.

Curl your fingertips in, and use your knuckles as a blade guide/guard. With a little practice, it becomes second nature, and keeps your fingers away from the sharp parts.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5336 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I worked in the meat department of a supermarket years ago when they still cut and ground meat there on site unlike today and some of those butchers used those chain mail gloves for certain tasks.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, they're handy for situation where traditional safe knife techniques like "the claw" aren't feasible, like breaking down a whole side of beef, or processing a pile of fish you just caught into filets.

But a chainmail glove is overkill for just slicing onions on a cutting board... Proper knife technique is better, and it's free.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’ve used this exact device for years, although I applied additional sharpening to the tines. Mine came with a nice storage cover. Other uses too. Here I safely slice a bagel into two even halves with my ancient Chicago Cutlery BT7.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8978 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun:
A mandolin is great. But I’ve always cut the onion in half first (pole to pole). The large surface area on the bottom makes it easier. I also use a cut resistant glove when I want to dice an onion like a chef.

^^^ This says it all.

Posts: 22924 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Given the context, I'll just add to be explicit: when using the claw technique, tuck your thumb behind the fingers; touch the thumb to the middle finger. That will keep the fingers and thumb out of the way.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I used to be a chef and had to use a mandolin occasionally and I have to say they scare me a lot. Will no longer use one, a family member took a big slice off of his finger using one. NOPE

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

Have you considered a mandolin?
I have one, and use it for when I need a quantity of stuff sliced or chopped, like for cooking.

I did not think that it was worth getting the mandolin out, and the subsequent cleanup, for sliced onion for one sandwich. On the other hand, it took just as long to apply the Neosporin and band-aid, as it would have taken to wash the mandolin.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Use a sharp knife and the proper one. Chef knife is best.

You can cut a small slice off one side to create a stable base so it won’t move on you. Or just cut the onion in half and place cut side down and cut half slices.

Agreed. A good sharp chef's knife and a little technique is all you need.

I can chop or slice an onion in far less time than it takes to get the mandolin out, use it, and clean it. My wife loves any kind of gadget though, and any given meal will dirty three or four of them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is what I have I also have a mandolin but I use this for onions

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My 2nd job as a teen was a pizza and sub shop, and I used to dice a mountain of onions every day. The boss taught me the proper finger position for holding the onion (like PASig and Rogue's posts), and I've been using it safely ever since.

I used to own cuisinart brand mandolin slicer. I never cut myself using it, but I cut myself disassembling it, hand washing it, putting it in the dishwasher, and taking it out of the dishwasher. I couldn't be trusted around it so I threw it in the garbage.

I have the knife skills so I don't need a mandolin slicer, and even better I go many, many years in between cutting myself with a kitchen knife

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
no need for Mandolin or learning to cut like some sous chef. Just get a hand held slicer, drop in the onion, tomato, whatever you want to slice, no fingers in the way! No blades to slice your fingers with, clean up is a breeze.

Link

Posts: 23493 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

Seems like a good way to dull your blades.

I don't use a mandolin but it has it's uses. Just stop way before the onion is too thin. Onions are cheap, waste onion not flesh.

If you are chopping the Slap Chop actually works well.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
In a restaurant I worked in, we had an apparatus that pushed an onion (or anything) through ten or twelve blades, slicing it into uniform slices. It was a time saver since it could slice a dozen onions in three or four minutes. It was a restaurant grade, big old thing.

It wasn't this one, but this one is a lot like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Vegetab...urants/dp/B0B72FMFDV

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post