SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you don't take sleep apnea seriously, Carrie Fisher death report
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you don't take sleep apnea seriously, Carrie Fisher death report Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
If there is any question of sleep apnea, take it seriously. Get tested.

Carrie Fisher had multiple health issues, including apnea. It definitely contributed to hear death. When you hear of someone dying in their sleep, it may be many things, but apnea is an often usual suspect. I was tested, have it, and the test saved my life, in fact greatly improved my life quality. We've talked about it here before. Get tested, take action.

Carrie Fisher Link.

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Wise words.

Posts: 3575 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I just passed the 3 month mark on a CPAP, and I really can't tell if it's making a difference. I haven't had any of those 'best sleep of my life' moments yet.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coming up on 5 years. Big improvement in my sleep, life in general. If you have any doubts check it out.

Posts: 449 | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you are all right. I think I have it but I don't want my wife having dreams or fantasies about sleeping with an astronaut.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I was tested, I have it, the CPAP didn't solve the problem.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
CPAP will save your life
My wife was diagnosed with severe apnea. Her tests showed that she was waking up several times per minute which puts enormous strains on your health. After she started using the CPAP it was as if she were a different person.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I just passed the 3 month mark on a CPAP, and I really can't tell if it's making a difference. I haven't had any of those 'best sleep of my life' moments yet.

I've been on mine for 3 years and I don't notice any difference, either. That doesn't mean it's not working, though. I always wake up tired, but my wife says I sleep more soundly.

Whether you feel it or not, apnea puts a strain on your heart. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I have been on one since Nov. 2011. Had the five year checkup this past Nov. and my CPAP pressures were lowered. Still wake up at least once a night to go to bathroom but other than that I do sleep better.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the years of cocaine (and heroin and ecstasy as we are now finding out) probably didn't help either.

Cocaine can be extremely hard on the heart and she herself said she used to partake in a lot of cocaine in her younger years (after she became famous).

I believe apnea can be hazardous, but she did not do herself any favors by using the recreational drugs I am sure.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:Cocaine can be extremely hard on the heart and she herself said she used to partake in a lot of cocaine in her younger years (after she became famous).

Sounds like she was still hitting it pretty hard.

http://www.foxnews.com/enterta...-report-reveals.html

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MNSIG... Yes, sorry. My post was in reference to the FoxNews Report.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Sleep apnea is is dangerous, and should be taken seriously, but using Fisher's death as an example does ZERO to promote awareness of sleep apnea.

She was killing herself with drugs, rather than forgetting to use a CPAP.

The coroner is saying it was "sleep apnea, and other undetermined factors," while also reporting she tested positive for, "cocaine, methadone, ethanol and opiates."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertai...er/story?id=48135535

Pick another poster child for sleep apnea awareness.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Coroner's officials ruled Fisher died from sleep apnea and a combination of other factors.

Now we know what the other factors were.

RIP

Teachable moment, hard drugs + other medical issues don't mix.

Posts: 2844 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think she had been strung out for years before her death. So no real surprise. Apnea? Maybe. But years of hard core drinking and drugging did the job.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
You think the cocaine and smack may have amplified the effects of sleep apnea?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14147 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
How do they diagnose sleep apnea in someone on a laundry list of legal and illegal medications?
Sounds like the doc's may have been treating the wrong disease in her case.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just trying to spare her relatives some shame for her killing herself with drugs and alcohol. Sleep apnea, yeah, thats it. Color me very skeptical.

Posts: 1161 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

I've been on mine for 3 years and I don't notice any difference, either. That doesn't mean it's not working, though. I always wake up tired, but my wife says I sleep more soundly.

Whether you feel it or not, apnea puts a strain on your heart. . .

Same here. I've been on a CPAP machine for about 2 years now. I have not noticed any improvement in sleep quality. But, my machine tracks apnea events and they are down significantly when I sleep all night with the machine.

Posts: 6568 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
To all of you if you are reading ANY Apnea events at all your settings are wrong!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8673 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post