SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you remove your fireplace ash?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you remove your fireplace ash? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
So how much would it cost to have an ash door added to your current fireplace?

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
So how much would it cost to have an ash door added to your current fireplace?

My current fireplace has an ash door outside, and I love it. But moving in a month, hence the question. New fireplace is on interior wall, so exterior ash door not possible.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will consider a vacuum, but I think a metal pale is probably what I’ll try to use.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
SuperSOG's question wast the first thing that came to mind.

OK, for the first few years after we built this house we had a fire every night. It was nice. But after about 5 years we decided to have the chimney cleaned. The first thing the guy said was "you guys like your fires, don't you". I used too much wood and it got too hot. Cracked the back of the insert. We had it replaced by an independent guy who was cheap and did what I think was a good job.

I'm kind of amused at the folks who are afraid to shovel their ashes. Sure, the next morning I can see them still smoldering, but a few days later I can't see a problem. I'm not that tidy and don't see a reason to get every last ash. Especially when I plan on having a fire in the evening. Getting most is good enough.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Mine has a grate on the bottom and ash will drop down into a metal tray underneath. I can just slide that out whenever and dump it outside.

I also just use a small shovel and a 5-gallon bucket when there gets to be a bunch in there.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Fireplaces are very inefficient. Get a fireplace insert that has an ash tray, a blower and is 70 percent efficient.

I can heat my house with the Sierra Diplomat.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post