SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Repairing a rock chip on the car
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repairing a rock chip on the car Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good evening, all. Mrs came to me this afternoon, pointing out a rather large chip in the paint on her fender. It's a good one, as it has begun to show rust already. (The one next to it is showing primer, but no bare metal.) The bare spot is about half the size of a dime. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of it.

Short of taking the car to a pro (body shop), I'm thinking a judicious coating of touch-up paint will do the job. But I'm worried about this surface rust that shows already.

I remember seeing -- a long time ago -- some kind of "abrasive on a pen" that could be used for spot-sanding places like this. I can't remember what it was called or where I saw it. Am I remembering incorrectly?

She's headed to the beach soon, so for the short term she dropped some candle wax on it to keep the salt air from attacking it harder, but I know I can always get good advice here.

What's the SF recommendation for preparing that small area for touch-up paint?

God bless America.

Posts: 13561 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Newer touch up paint bottles have a applicator in the shape of a triangle and a ball point pen applicator. If you need a smaller applicator for the chip take a paper match and cut the tip off and make it into a point, use that to dab the paint into the chip.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8187 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Fiberglass eraser pen. Available at any auto parts store. Caution, the fibers can be a pain. Works like a ball point pen to "erase" the rust.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7131 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a small pick to scrape away the rust, the small sharp tip allows me more precision along the edges.

Posts: 466 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
To show you how old I am, I remember when a small container of touch-up paint was included with a new car.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30861 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
dab of clover compound on a pencil eraser for an area the size of a dime,
or a small piece of 0000 steel wool, and some oil,

however, when in doubt, there is always the belt sander Cool

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10457 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Newer touch up paint bottles have a applicator in the shape of a triangle and a ball point pen applicator. If you need a smaller applicator for the chip take a paper match and cut the tip off and make it into a point, use that to dab the paint into the chip.

Or a toothpick Wink

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7096 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Gotta get the rust out or it will be right back in no time. Silicone remover so that the repair will stick. Fine sand paper to feather the edge and a dab of filler to level the surface.

Try Dr. Colorchip

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Here is the spot sanding pen

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7131 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^

That's the gadget I was remembering! Thank you!

God bless America.

Posts: 13561 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post