SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrical generation apocalypse, what happens?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical generation apocalypse, what happens? Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

I get that people are pissed in Texas, but take a step back and ask yourself how bad is not having electricity for 5 days out of the last 36,500 days or so? How much do you want to spend to take a system that is 99.99% reliable to make it 99.999% reliable?[/QUOTE]

People are going to/have actually die(d) because of the failures to account for something that was 1) actually forseeable, 2) actually warned about with plenty of time to address the issues, and 3) a critical mission failure at the worst possible moment. By your logic, airline security needs no upgrading because out of hundreds of millions of flights, only four were hijicked, and hell only three hit anything important on just one lousy day: Sept. 11, 2001.

I have no idea the answers (let alone the right questions), but this mentality that everything was fine is, in light of the sheer magnitude of the failure, questionable at best.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TX sits on the largest natural gas reserve on the globe
No shortage of supply

ERCOT is the failure

Hopefully the legislature figures that out

On a separate aspect... Louisiana had rolling black outs the last few days also. Instituted by a regional “conglomerate” national grid agency MISO. I’ve never heard of them. They, individualist and unilaterally shut the power off to the New Orleans water supply pumps solely based on power consumption

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Texas is not nearly as corrupt as any other state I’ve been in. Don’t know what some of y’all are whining about.

B) Our usual solution is to elect people involved. Don’t know why the people aren’t elected, but they need to be and for short terms

Posts: 5746 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I agree Tx screwed up on this, but wind turbines in SD don’t freeze every winter. Failure to build infrastructure to withstand foreseeable weather conditions is the root cause of this problem.

Do you know where South Dakota purchased their Wind Turbines from ??? According to this old article Texas got theirs from................CHINA. God Bless !!! SmileSmile https://www.popsci.com/technol...osfURup8-i03WevJ_jgc

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

On a separate aspect... Louisiana had rolling black outs the last few days also. Instituted by a regional “conglomerate” national grid agency MISO. I’ve never heard of them. They, individualist and unilaterally shut the power off to the New Orleans water supply pumps solely based on power consumption
Where did you get that info ?

Posts: 4066 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:

Local news station. Fox affiliate

I had no idea there such an existence

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:

Local news station. Fox affiliate

I had no idea there such an existence
MISO has been around since about 2000 . I have my doubts about that news story . MISO controls the electrical Transmission Grid . There could have been something going on that fed the substation that powers the intake pumps . If they ( the news people ) don't understand the process it's easier to just wing it and blame the biggest guy in the room . People love a good conspiracy anyway .

Posts: 4066 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post