SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Junk Cell Phone Voice Mails Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Junk Cell Phone Voice Mails Question Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
IIRC there was a topic a few months ago (I can't find it now) about Congress passing a new law to eliminate junk/spam/scam phone calls.

Obviously it didn't work. I still get them.

Lately I've been getting the exact same voice mail, it's 37 seconds long and Melissa is calling from the tax center about back income tax debt blah blah blah. I'd wish the fleas of a thousand camels to infest their crotch and armpits.

The kicker is, my phone never rings, nor does it show up in the Recent Calls section, when this voice mail pops up.

They spoof the phone number each time, so it does no good to block them. I've been getting a couple of these every week for a couple of months now.

I also get a lot of spam-scam emails every day. I have 4 different email addresses and between those I get in excess of 200 pieces of email crap, every darn day. Now those bastards have figured out how to configure their email address differently each and every time so it does no good to block them either. It's the exact same email format and content but every one has a different email sending address each time they send.

Can anyone explain how a voice mail can be sent without the phone ringing? I have Verizon, but I suspect all the carriers have the same issues. Thanks.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I've heard Melissa got a new job. Next week she'll give you a call to discuss car warranties.

I totally get your frustration. There has to be some way to limit access to these sorts of callers. Time to make Verizon and the other phone companies responsible. Something like we get $10 for each scam call. That wouldn't be much for each of us but would add up pretty quick for Verizon. Watch how fast effective spam software would be implemented.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Can anyone explain how a voice mail can be sent without the phone ringing? I have Verizon, but I suspect all the carriers have the same issues. Thanks.

Here's one way. There are probably more.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/b...irectly-to-voicemail

How to Bypass a Ringing Phone and Go Straight to Voicemail

To use Slydial, dial 267-SLYDIAL (267-759-3425). When prompted, enter the US mobile phone number for the person you are trying to call. Once the service connects you, leave your voicemail, and then just hang up.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
About a year ago, I added our phone numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry.. The number of daily calls has notably decreased.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Here's one way. There are probably more.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/b...irectly-to-voicemail

How to Bypass a Ringing Phone and Go Straight to Voicemail

To use Slydial, dial 267-SLYDIAL (267-759-3425). When prompted, enter the US mobile phone number for the person you are trying to call. Once the service connects you, leave your voicemail, and then just hang up.
The SlyDial website claims that they have both iOS and Android apps. However, Apple's App Store says that this app is not available in the U.S.

Too bad, it would be very handy for leaving appointment reminders.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I started the post a couple of months ago about the spam calls. Some one who felt like an authority came in and said it was all going to be or get better because the GOV came in and solved the problem. Of course that never happened or happens. GOV only makes things worse, or much worse.

I do have a solution to offer up. Make all calls toll calls. Every damn one of them. The originating telco gets a dime, my telco gets a dime, and I get a dime. Its up to the telco to collect if they want to, I don't care as long as I get my dime. The incentive is that my telco gets their dime and is forced to forward mine to me. I don't want any phone calls (to be honest), and I could live happily with out them.

I've had this number for the last 47 or so years and its become more of a bother than any benefit. Maybe that's what they want. I could easily live without a land line. Or any phone "service". When any "service" becomes more trouble than its worth and much more trouble than what I pay, I guess its time to change.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I am signed up on the national do not call registry and I still get plenty of spam.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I keep my phone on vibrate, let all unknown numbers go to voice mail, delete almost all the crap. It is irritating, but getting the GOV to fix it is impossible.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get a phone call recording at least twice a week telling me I'm going to jail unless I press #1 to speak to a live person to settle some legal issue.

So, I press #1 and I get someone who doesn't know what I'm talking about.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ported our landline to Google voice. It intercepts the call and they can leave a message or it will ring your phone if you set it up that way. I just let it go to V.M.. I Get email notification, but I check email daily anyway. Any caller that does not leave a message is flagged as spam. Any spam call is flagged as spam. I get very few spam calls on this number now.

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I’m in the mood, I answer “my county” fraud division, how may I direct your call…I get an immediate hang up. When I’m not in the mood, I just let it ring and block the number. Doesn’t help the amount of calls but it gives me joy sometimes

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post