SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "United Airlines Is Giving Its Frequent Fliers Free Membership to Clear"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"United Airlines Is Giving Its Frequent Fliers Free Membership to Clear" Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone use Clear? We have Global Entry (which includes Pre-Check), and from our sleepy home airport of Moline IL (MLI) boarding United Express to connect at O'Hare is a snap. We're both Premier Silver but I doubt we'll apply for Clear.

https://www.cntraveler.com/sto...ree-or-at-a-discount

United Airlines Is Giving Its Frequent Fliers Free Membership to Clear

by JESSICA PUCKETT
July 29, 2019

Top tier fliers with the airline can get expedited Clear security for free—or at least with a discount.

If the mere thought of waiting in airport security lines causes your stomach to knot with anxiety, this might be your lucky day—if you like to fly United Airlines, anyway.

United frequent fliers can now get a free or discounted membership to Clear, the biometric identification company that helps passengers speed through security checkpoints with the literal blink of an eye and swipe of a fingerprint.

As of Monday, United Global Services and 1K Premier members will get a free Clear membership through the new program. The airline's Premier Platinum, Gold, and Silver MileagePlus members, can get a discounted membership for $109 per year, down from the standard charge of $179 per year. All other MileagePlus members can sign up for $119 annually.

As another facet of the partnership, United is investing in Clear to help bring its specialty biometric lanes to two other United hub airports—Newark Liberty International and Houston George Bush Intercontinental—sometime later this summer.

Already in about 60 locations throughout the U.S., Clear uses biometrics to speed pre-approved travelers to the very front of the security line, even ahead of those with TSA PreCheck. Passengers with Clear verify their fingerprint or eye scan at a Clear lane and proceed directly through the security checkpoint. This service is truly invaluable during the hectic summer travel season—TSA, for instance, screened nearly 12 million people on Fourth of July weekend.

A Clear membership also gets you into participating stadiums or arenas without having to wait in line, too, so you can zoom through security at a concert or baseball game, too, and not just at the airport.

If you're not a United flier, Delta Air Lines also offers a similar partnership with Clear to give its frequent fliers a discounted membership to the service. The pricing tiers are similar: free for Diamond Medallion members (the top loyalty status), $109 per year for Platinum, Gold, or Silver Medallion members, and $119 per year for all other members of Delta's frequent flier program.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From my understanding Clear is extremely limited in the airports where it’s available and useful for getting you to the front of the line where TSA regs then rule. I have Pre and Clear isn’t something I’d pay for. I do have the free Clear option as I use it to get into the local ballpark with less hassle.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Delta offers a similar deal. Diamond members get it free. Platinum members get a nice discount. I've come close to signing up but so far have held off. They are at SLC, but I fly red eyes a lot where a Clear Membership would not benefit me at all. When or if Clear shows up at Philadelphia airport, then I will definitely jump on it. But for now, it's not worth it in my case.

It is awesome though when the airport is super busy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I have PreCheck. The the fee occasions that there are more than a few of us in that a line so have seen a Clear client go ahead of the next PreCheck person in the line. It's rare and so don't see enough of a benefit to go that route.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Lifetime 1K on United (3 million miler) and already have Global Entry and APEC cards. United hasn't said boo to me, but if they offer CLEAR for free I'll take it. Very occasionally, Pre-check is closed but the CLEAR line is open.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I have PreCheck. The the fee occasions that there are more than a few of us in that a line so have seen a Clear client go ahead of the next PreCheck person in the line. It's rare and so don't see enough of a benefit to go that route.
I have NEXUS (TSA PreCheck, Global Entry, and Fast Entry into Canada rolled into one) and my home airport is Bush Intercontinental. Practically everyone has PreCheck and in morning busy times the Clear people are bypassing dozens of PreCheck people.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post