SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My 16 y/o daughter wants to go on a mission trip to Nassau.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 16 y/o daughter wants to go on a mission trip to Nassau. Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
It’s a church trip with about 20 adults and 30 kids. They will be teaching poor kids and staying at some campus away from town. I’m not comfortable with it. She’s a good kid and I’m not worried about her doing anything but worried about local predators.

Is it safe at all or too dangerous?
Do US cell phones work there?
Are there health concerns?

Would you let your teenage daughter go?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7963 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I have a 14 year old daughters and have spent enough time in Nassau to say hell no double damn no.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5135 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
No. Except in all caps.

What's the long term benefit for them? What are the risks, pragmatically assessed without propaganda? And weighing conservatively, I'd think no.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12758 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't.... (from the state department)

Last Update: Reissued with updates to health information.

Exercise increased caution in The Bahamas due to crime. 

Country Summary: The majority of crime occurs on New Providence (Nassau) and Grand Bahama (Freeport) islands. In Nassau, practice increased vigilance in the “Over the Hill” area (south of Shirley Street) where gang-on-gang violence has resulted in a high homicide rate primarily affecting the local population. Violent crime, such as burglaries, armed robberies, and sexual assaults, occur in both tourist and non-tourist areas. Be vigilant when staying at short-term vacation rental properties where private security companies do not have a presence.

Activities involving commercial recreational watercraft, including water tours, are not consistently regulated. Watercraft may be poorly maintained and some operators may not have safety certifications. Due to these concerns, U.S. government personnel are not permitted to use independently operated jet-ski rentals on New Providence and Paradise Islands.  

Never swim alone, regardless of your age or level of swimming skills. Keep within your fitness and swimming capabilities. Be aware of weather and water conditions and heed local warnings.

Read the country information page for additional information on travel to The Bahamas.

If you decide to travel to The Bahamas:  

Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before planning any international travel, and read the Embassy COVID-19 page for country-specific COVID-19 information.  
Do not answer your door at your hotel/residence unless you know who it is.  
Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.  
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.  
Follow the Department of State on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.  
Review the Country Security Report for The Bahamas.  
Prepare a contingency plan for emergency and medical situations.  Review the Traveler’s Checklist.  
Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might not want to read up on Natalee Ann Holloway and her disappearance in Aruba in 2005 while on a high school senior graduation trip. Talented and attractive young lady never seen again.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Ex arranged (despite my strenuous objections) for my kid to do a mission trip to Mexico. Where they stayed, a Mexican police unit staged an armored vehicle at a nearby intersection and based on the kids description, a full platoon to support it. My kid had no fear and was used to hanging out with cops, so he went right over to them and hung out with them! I thought I would have a stroke before he left Mexico. And this was years ago, so its worse now. I believe the mission trip was essentially pointless and made no real difference in the lives of the locals. And lots of people here in the US would benefit from a mission trip!
I vote stay home and help Americans!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16123 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do US cell phones work there?

depends on your plan. Many of the MVNO's are a solid "no," while larger providers like AT&T may work there via "roaming", but it will be expensive and require additional fees and/or their international roaming plan. Be careful, if you do it wrong, it's like $1 per minute and up for voice. not sure about data.

Google Fi apparently does not work in the Bahamas, which surprises me.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Does she have a passport? If not, getting one is expensive and can take a month or so depending on if you pay the expedite fee.

Getting passports for kids is a pain in the butt and below a certain age, they only last 5 years.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
...I believe the mission trip was essentially pointless and made no real difference in the lives of the locals...

A family friend did a tour with the Peace Corps in Ghana. She was told this exact thing (privately, of course) by the organizers.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to Nassau / New Providence for a few years, but last time I was there, it was turning into an absolute shit-hole.

Decades ago, it was a nice place to visit, but it has gone steadily downhill.

An American teen-age girl there? Nope. Nope. Nope. Not without around-the clock adult (or two) at all times.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30730 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

An American teen-age girl there? Nope. Nope. Nope. Not without around-the clock adult (or two) at all times.

I'm inclined to agree. I was there on a recent cruise ship stop and, well, shithole.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Can you get me some additional information about where she would be? Nassau is a city on New Providence. Most refer to the entire island as Nassau, but it makes a difference does not provide too much information.

I find it strange that a mission trip would be scheduled for NP, not one of the family islands.

I've lived there and have made an additional 50 trips to the island and the Bahamas, so I may be able to provide some insight.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to the topic at hand, my experience in the Caribbean is out of date by almost 40 years, but the term "abject poverty" didn't do it justice.

We had a contest - "find the cheapest hooker" - and the low quote was $1.35. It probably came with a surprise that shows up some days later.

The poorest person in the US is knee-deep in money compared to that place, and the locals will gladly thump you to improve their lot. It is not a place for unguarded kids.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I think you knew the answer to this question before asking it. Go with your gut. My gut would be saying Hell No as well.

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Does she have a passport? If not, getting one is expensive and can take a month or so depending on if you pay the expedite fee.

Getting passports for kids is a pain in the butt and below a certain age, they only last 5 years.

Getting passports for kids is no more difficult than getting them for adults. All three of my children, the oldest being six and the youngest six months, have passports. We recently renewed our oldest daughter's passport. Easy peasy Japanesey.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30432 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't been to Nassau / New Providence for a few years, but last time I was there, it was turning into an absolute shit-hole.

Decades ago, it was a nice place to visit, but it has gone steadily downhill.
This was the impression with which I was left, back when we had a sailboat (2007-2012), from reading what sailors who visited the area related in various sailing forums.

quote:
Preferably armed--which is, naturally, not legally possible.

I would be inclined to veto the notion, were I you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Would you let your teenage daughter go?

Others know more, but I can answer this: No way. My wife and I went to Jamaica for our honeymoon in 2009, and there's no way in hell I would go back. I know that's a different island, but the way abject poverty is a layered in next to wealth in the Caribbean, and it all being on a scale far below the median income in this country makes tourists super juicy targets. Hell. No.

https://www.travelsafe-abroad.com/the-bahamas/nassau/

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cousin did a similar style trip many years ago. A group went to Las Vegas to volunteer at a soup kitchen. They had a fund raiser to pay for the trip.

I asked, wouldn't it be a better idea to raise money to donate at a local homeless shelter and volunteer there instead. I was told the trip would be a great experience for them. You mean a paid vacation under the guise of helping others.

I just randomly searched flights from Alabama to Nassau for a weeks stay leaving next Sunday.

$820 a person x 50 travelers = $41,000 ask them how many people they could help locally for that amount.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Nope. I wouldn’t go either.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8346 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’ve never understood this whole church “mission” trip thing to far away places like that. I suspect they end up being more a vacation trip but I’ve never been on one so I really don’t know for sure.

That’s the one thing I have to give credit to my former church for, they had a policy about mission trips that they DID NOT go far away into other countries. They went 20 miles north into Reading, PA or 20 miles south into Philadelphia and did local mission work as the pastor said “we have 1.5 million people who don’t know Jesus right here, we don’t need to travel to some far off country”

Posts: 33871 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The point of short-duration mission trips is long-term not short-term.

Short-term it's more cost effective to not spend the money on airfare and give it to the locals.

Long-term it's:
  • sending people who can teach someone to fish instead of handout. For example, send a civil engineer on a building project and find they're not mixing concrete properly resulting in unsafe (e.g. too much water used to make it "go further" but resulting strength is too low). Civil engineer teaches how to do properly so structures/buildings don't collapse which would give the local church a blemished reputation or kill people. This has happened.
  • you're building relationships and advocacy. These are meant to result in meeting long-term needs on training, funding, etc. For example, I went to Rwanda with my church on a 2.5 week trip where we had existing relationships. I did some work that was short-term benefit and some work that was long-term benefit, and remained an advocate in home church for many years keeping the relationship going.
  • Eye opening and changes the person who goes. I've done local Houston missions for the "poor" who live in air-conditioned, subsidized apartments with TV and Internet which jaded me. It's way different going to rural Rwanda with people who live in huts made from sticks and mud. One thing to hear about microfinance, but seeing the village gather while people publicly payback their loan keeping everything above board, the village can't progress to the next funding level until everyone repays so seeing the village pitch in to help someone who became ill (i.e. keep their community / tribe intact), seeing the invidual businesses in the market, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23316 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post