SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My 16 y/o daughter wants to go on a mission trip to Nassau.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 16 y/o daughter wants to go on a mission trip to Nassau. Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
No, absolutely NO!

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked my wife (mother of 4, 3 daughters). Her response was a no way.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’ve been there. If you’re unaccustomed to third world conditions or have any vulnerabilities, don’t go. I certainly wouldn’t want my teen daughter to go unless I was right there. I wouldn’t trust other leaders/adults to care for her safety either. Not saying it’s a pirate’s den but there are some creeps. Too many creeps. Would be better to go Stateside.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought of the Bahamas as being that unstable or dangerous.
quote:
Would be better to go Stateside.

There are lots of places in the US that I wouldn't want a minor child to go to - or even go to myself - but at least they are in the US, not separated by hundreds of miles of ocean and needing a passport to get to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27998 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have done mission trips with various churches since I was 17. Camden, NJ was the first.
Have done I don’t know how many since, most up and down the east coast of the states, rebuilding from storms (Katrina was one).

My view is there is so much that needs done here in the states, why spend the money getting out of the country?

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Can you go?

Year V

Posts: 2633 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think about it this way . If something bad happens , do you really want to be thousands of miles away and trying to deal with things through an Embassy or Consulate ? The laws , customs , and language could all contribute to the mess . I've read horror stories about people having a medical emergency in a foreign country and it was mostly financial issues that complicated things .

Posts: 4069 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
An out Island, sure. Nassau, hell no.

I lived on Andros five years ago. The out Island people are some if the nicest I've ever met. Even they avoided Nassau.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
you can get the same experience going to a local slum or spend a week in DC

Posts: 53226 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in and out of Nassau at least 3-6 times a year. It's a little more dangerous than other places late at night, and what it used to be, but nothing like what everyone is saying here. I can find far worse places in Miami. I wouldn't worry about it, there are 20 adults to 30 kids. It's only a 38 minute flight from Fort Lauderdale.

Let me put it this way, I wear my Rolex when I go to Nassau or the Bahamas. Never would I do that anywhere in Central America including Costa Rica or Panama.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post