SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quitting Smoking - Cold Turkey
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quitting Smoking - Cold Turkey Login/Join 
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Brag all you want - You deserve it - Quit in 2008 and I want one right now - so just keep it up - Notice you don't cough up all those nice lougies.

It helps to add up all that play money you now have -

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Not meaning to brag, but today marks 2 weeks of being smoke and nicotine free...YEAH!

Brag away. It's no small accomplishment. (If I do say so, myself.)

There are heroin addicts who've said quitting the cancer sticks was harder for them than quitting heroin.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26007 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yay! Think how much more you can brag tomorrow. And the next day. And the day after that!

Come back here and brag as often as you want to. We will applaud (not gonna take time to look for the applause gif, but you know that we are all congratulating you).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30542 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

There are heroin addicts who've said quitting the cancer sticks was harder for them than quitting heroin.
Yup. The drug counselor who introduced me to my wife was a sober (is that the correct word in this context?) heroin ex-addict, and an ex-smoker. He said the same thing, tobacco was a harder addiction for him to quit.

He was a train-the-trainer counselor, my wife was in a seminar for drug counselors, that he was teaching. He was a friend of mine, met him through aviation -- he was one of my trainees. Gone now, we miss you Vic.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30542 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife had just had a growth removed , I figured that she needed me more than I needed cigarettes

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Watching my dad dying of cancer was pretty disturbing. He went from being a tough-as-nails, intrepid, 82nd Airborne, tough guy to a weakling that couldn't even get up to piss without calling me to help.

I'm glad you're quitting because dying that way is a rotten thing to do to those that care about you.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Today marks three weeks being smoke free!

It has not been easy, but it has not been as bad as I feared. Cold turkey (for me) I believe , has been the easiest way to quit this time.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Still have my support. Keep it up!!

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
You’ve made it when the smell is even slightly revolting to you. Don’t ever start again. It’s twice a difficult to quit the second time.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Keep the streak going and keep posting.
I am 19 years smoke free and it was, by far, the best thing I ever did for my health.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Great news Warhorse. Keep on keeping on brother. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19110 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and good luck! I smoked from 16-26. 1.5-2 packs a day. I truly loved cigarettes. I quit cold turkey, gained 25 lbs. There's no place in this world for a fat Asian that's not funny...so I hopped on the treadmill, .10 mile at a time. 8 months later I ran my first marathon (LA Marathon), it was the hottest marathon in history and I was hung over. But finished a blistering 6 hours flat. I've shaved a couple of minutes over over the next few marathons.

I still crave cigs, but smoke cigars instead. But maybe 2 times a month.

It's going to be hard, but you can do it!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Good luck with it. I smoked for a long time close to 2 packs a day. I stopped cold turkey in 1985 never touched another

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the progress, keep it up.

I kicked it cold turkey when my at the time 2 1/2 year old mimed smoking a cigarette like Dad did. The patch doesnt have anything on that.

Each day is a step in the right direction.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

Today marks three weeks being smoke free!
Great!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I smoked for 30+ years and tried to quit several times. Last time I tried the Chantix again and stopped after only a week. I didn't need it. My mind was strong and am now smoke free for seven years. I still get the urge now and then but treat it like a drug addiction. Just one puff and I would be hooked all over again. I never can touch it again nor do I really want to. Keep up the good work. One day at a time. It does get much easier.

Time takes time.

Posts: 83 | Registered: August 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats and good luck keeping with it.

I quit after a couple puffs when I was 4 or 5. Dad was onto something with the ol' aversion therapy thing. He shoulda quit too.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent Warhorse. I smoked 42 years, went cold turkey May 6th 2003. Every once in a while, I’ll have a dream in which I am smoking. Strange as it seems, I don’t miss cigs at all. I don’t like to be anywhere near smokers. Not that I’m worried of re-lapsing, I truly do not like the smell.

Keep us posted.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Excellent Warhorse. I smoked 42 years, went cold turkey May 6th 2003. Every once in a while, I’ll have a dream in which I am smoking. Strange as it seems, I don’t miss cigs at all. I don’t like to be anywhere near smokers. Not that I’m worried of re-lapsing, I truly do not like the smell. For me, it was a dirty habit.

Keep us posted.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post