SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quitting Smoking - Cold Turkey
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quitting Smoking - Cold Turkey Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Today is my seventh day of not smoking. I have to admit that the urge to smoke one is very strong right now. I am trying to hang tough, and not give in to these damn urges.

Hang in there. It gets better with time.

Just think of the guns you can buy with the money you save Big Grin

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Today is my seventh day of not smoking. I have to admit that the urge to smoke one is very strong right now. I am trying to hang tough, and not give in to these damn urges.

Hang tough, Warhorse.

I found that finding a way to put any cravings out of my mind, when they occurred, would get me past that bump and I'd be ok.

Do you exercise (run, lift, etc.) at all? If you do: Do that. If you don't: Consider starting.

Here are some things that have been regular reminders of why I don't ever again want to be a smoker:

• Doing cardio and running out of endurance before running out of breath (I think I mentioned that, already).
  • Coming anywhere near anybody who's a smoker, smelling that God-awful stale cigarette smoke smell on them, and being happy I don't smell like that.
  • Walking past a spot smokers congregate outside and seeing cigarette butts all over the ground--with a cigarette collection thing nearby, and celebrating the fact I'm not associated with those people any more.
  • Laughing my ass off at something and not coughing up a lung.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
October 29, 2000. Don't miss it a bit, especially the smell. You won't either and I wish you the best of luck on your new life!!!

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
You can do it, when the urges hit, find something else to do.

I can say over the last 10 years or so after quitting, there are a bunch of guns and ammo that have been purchased with what I was spending on Cigarettes.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Most here remember the Yul Brynner stop smoking commercial, not many words, but very powerful. You can stop smoking! Do not give in!

Posts: 1293 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I quit my smokeless tobacco habit 466 days ago — so coming up on 1.5 years here in a few months.

It was by far the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Took a solid month to feel halfway normal again. I chronicled my journey here on the forum.

I chewed a can a day (minimum) and only took dips outs to eat or sleep so ... the addition was strong.

I’ve gained about 30 pounds since I quit (but I was on the slim side to begin with so it fits me okay).

Regardless, I am really happy I followed through with it. The freedom is priceless — everything doesn’t revolve around that damn can anymore. That’s the best part. And I feel great.

You’re making a great choice! Stick with it. And as always, ODAAT (one day at a time)!!!

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Having quit in 1992, every now and again when having the first cup of coffee in the morning I get the urge for a smoke.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pantera1994
posted Hide Post
I quit in 2011 using an ecig. I tried to wean myself off nicotine several times prior, but became way to irritable to those around me and gave up.

Good luck.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I quit in 1999 when I got out of the service...cold turkey.

Worked

I’m not saying it wasn’t hard cause it was, especially when having a beer or out with friends. But I’m really glad I did. You will be too.

Think of all the money you will save. ( I have no clue how much a pack of Marlboro lights cost now)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Day eight of smoke free.

Have rediscovered "deep breathing". I had forgotten how relaxing it seems to be, simply taking a deep breath in through the nostrils, then slowly exhaling through the mouth, it helps me get past an "urge" to smoke at times.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just do it.

Some say it's day by day, but in reality it can be minute by minute.

Your priority is getting off the cancer sticks. Do whatever it takes to keep off them. Most people gain some weight, but that is fine - you can lose that in 6 months when you are off the cigs.

Find a gum / candy / something to take it's place if needed.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Having quit in 1992, every now and again when having the first cup of coffee in the morning I get the urge for a smoke.

First one of the day was always the best one. Wink

But then the 2,3,4,10th and hacking up put a damper on that memory. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you’re off to a great start!

It’s been over a decade since I quit. I started smoking to quit chewing. Now, I feel great. I won’t lie and say I haven’t slipped up a time or two but I have never picked the habit up again.

Keep up the great work! As others have said, just keep busy when you feel an urge.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Great to hear.

Sometimes just holding my thumb between my middle and index finger was enough to get past an urge.

Keep up the good work.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a Registered Respiratory Therapist with over 40 years experience, I can say that cold turkey seems to be the most successful method. You need to accept that there will be two weeks of serious "detox" but your body begins to heal immediately.
You already know, and I can confirm, the outcome of not quitting is grim.
Many of my patients would say that there was no need to quit as the damage was already done. They were wrong.
Be strong. Good luck.

Eseaton

Esea2000@yahoo.com

Posts: 2476 | Location: E. of Mississippi River | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Go do something when the urge hits. Break from the old habits that you smoked during. Focus the energy on other things.

Sometimes I have the motivation to move mountains. Other times not so much. What you got it- Run with it.

Are you going to reward yourself when you succeed? Like a new gun from your savings?

Good Luck Mitch

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit cold turkey on November 1st, 1983.

It is sometimes still a battle when I am around people that are smoking.

It is not easy

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit in 2012 by going Cold Turkey. It was actually surprisingly easy and I have now concluded that the Patch and other "taper off" methods are actually designed to keep people hooked on nicotine. Simple truth is the Tobacco Industry wants to keep people hooked on nicotine in order to continue selling nicotine.

Folks, it only takes 5-7 days to "get over the hump" of nicotine addiction. After that staying off this drug is all about willpower. For me the trick was to remind myself of the cost. At the time I quit I was spending 10 bucks a day on those cancer sticks. Or, about 3600 bucks per year.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Not meaning to brag, but today marks 2 weeks of being smoke and nicotine free...YEAH!

I do believe that going cold turkey is somewhat easier than other methods.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post