SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A request for assistance from the members of SIGforum- finding a replacement pistol for a friend **Please see my post on page 2**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A request for assistance from the members of SIGforum- finding a replacement pistol for a friend **Please see my post on page 2** Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
In this thread, I called him a close friend, and that's an understatement. He's my oldest and my closest friend. We've known each other for 45 years.

I don't think there's a man in this forum worth his salt who wouldn't take an instant liking to him, and the few who have met him and don't like him, well, that tells me all I need to know about them. He's just one of those guys who leaves the impression of being a formidable fighter, but who has a heart of gold, a real credit to the human race. Best man at my wedding, and closer to me than any living blood relative of mine, and I am proud and grateful to have him for a friend.

So, having painted the picture for you, it appears his pistol is gone for good, and given my relation to this forum, I want to appeal to the active members to find a replacement pistol for him. I can search gunbroker or our classifieds or whatever, but I am looking for a pistol from the same people I got the one for him years back- from the trusted members of this forum.

He's a hunter, a sportsman, but handguns are not his thing. On that subject, he seeks my advice.

There are two avenues I might go down on this. First a replacement P226, which makes sense, since he still has spare OEM magazines I gave him. If it is to be a P226, I think I'd choose for him this time a later production pistol, mid-1990s to the early 2000s- roughly in the U500000 to 700000 range. Ideally, this would be a one-owner P226, with spare magazine, box, papers and all. Very little shooting, very little wear. This is ideal, but not absolutely required. Foolishly, I blurted out to him that we could replace his SIG for perhaps 650, and I realize now that this was the wrong thing to do. It's been a long time since I bought a vintage SIG and I'm guessing that that's way low for what I seek.

The other choice is the utilitarian route, and that would be a Glock G17 or 19, either gen 3 or gen5. Or, perhaps a Walther PPQ, which is a superb and underrated pistol. I actually do have a PPQ I'm intending to sell, an M2, but it's a 5" service model (doesn't have those silly cutouts in the slide). This might be a bit large for his purposes, although he does not carry concealed.

A Glock makes a lot of sense for him, since they are more tolerant of being only lightly lubricated, but if a man is going to own only one handgun for defense, I think pride of ownership comes into play. The SIG is an esoteric machine; the Glock is a shovel in your tool shed.

So, first we try to find a near-cherry SIG for a great price, and that's where you guys come in, because if it's going to be a Glock, he can get that locally and not have to bother with a transfer.

If you have something like I've described, please email me at the address in my profile. You can post suggestions or tell me you might have something and you're going to email me, but, please, no specifics in this thread. I don't want anyone trying to jump on something you might mention. Please don't point me to classifieds or to an ad someone has posted elsewhere. I'm asking to deal with the core membership of this forum- the people who have earned my trust.

You can consider this a personal favor to me, and I will be most grateful. Thank you

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I have something but not pristine. Email sent

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para,

I'm just throwing this idea out there. It is just an idea so please just ignore it if you don't like it.

In my experience, the steel components of the Class P-series pistols live on forever. It is the frames that show the abuse. You may have an easier time finding a well-used P226 of the appropriate vintage and then acquire a new frame from Matrix Precision. You could then send it off to Bruce Gray for a "frame-ectomy" so to speak. Bruce could probably add some nice night sights while he was at it and maybe even a trigger job and a reblue of the slide.

Any way. Just a thought I'd figure I'd throw out there.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have a West German P226 in 9mm. It's not pristine. I don't have the box. It is a shooter and has been carried. Has two mags. I put new Sig Light sights on last year. The bore is clean and bright. If he wants it, I'll give it to him. It would be my honor to help a friend of yours.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para,
I am assuming you want a 9mm. I have a pristine (about 200 rds) P226 U 706 XXX with black stainless slide & original sights I will let go for $650 + shipping from Nashville. Email me for more details.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4278 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the dude is not a pistol guy, then the a G19 or a G45 would seem to me to make more sense. Sometimes the shovel is the way to go.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have a 226 bought in 2015. I don't recall ever firing it. I'll give it up for the friend

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
229, not a 226, but should be in that age range and still has the factory grease on it (basically dry). I can check the serial tomorrow and let you know for sure, but a no rail 229 in 9.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You guys have already bested me... I'm not willing to let go of my P226s I was going to offer a Ruger P95. Which was my favorite handgun until I discovered the Sig P226.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that Para.

Email sent

Posts: 588 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Please remember- I asked that no specifics be posted in this thread. It will make people jump in and try to buy.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Found you one close by.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34133 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to all of you who've offered your assistance, but I have found a pistol for my friend.

Tomorrow, I'll let you guys in on it, but first I have to tend to something.

Keep an eye on this thread. In return for the not-surprising willingness of the members to help, we're going to do something special. We're going to break one of the big, bad, mean admin's hard and fast rules. Stay tuned.

SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I work at a lgs and we may have a West German P226 in a large estate we have coming in….I’ll check and see, if so I’ll email you Para

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I did locate a pistol for my friend.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My description was probably too specific. Sorry. Glad you found the right replacement. You did him a real solid.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I had intended a P226 for my friend and it looks like I would have the pick of the litter for him. Thanks to all who responded in this thread and emailed me. I knew you guys would come through and I am grateful for the response.

However, he won't be getting a P226, and I agree with those who have said that a Glock would make more sense for him, but given my connection to all things SIG, I wanted my closest friend to have one to replace that which was taken from him.

I received an email from trapper189 telling me about the P228 he won in one of forum member 12131's "riddle" games in late 2019:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/9010004364/p/1

He told me that since he had won the pistol in a karma (actually, he earned it), he figured that if ever he got rid of it, it would be via a karma in this forum, and given the circumstances, now would be an appropriate time to gift the pistol, and if I wanted it for my friend, it would be his.

This is exceedingly generous- to give away such an item to someone he doesn't know. I accepted this gracious offer, and I am excited to be able to let my friend know what has happened and the very fine pistol he'll be receiving. Needless to say, trapper will be reimbursed for the shipping fees and any other expense he may incur as a result of all this.

Y'know, we have to be careful about patting ourselves on the back in this forum. The core membership is deservedly proud of out little community. We say that there is no place like SIGforum. In one respect at least, this is true. There is no other forum quite like this, but that has to do with the specifics of the place.

What I mean to say is that it seems to me that there must be other places like SIGforum in terms of the generous nature of their membership, because in that respect, the things that make SIGforum a stand-out dwell in the best of the nature of all humans. There has to be other places like this. I wouldn't want to think otherwise, because sad it would be if we were alone.

BUT...

Having said that, I can say in all honesty that SIGforum is the only place I know of where the generosity flows at this level, and so freely. That's the truth, and I am proud of all of you who have made this little corner of the virtual world your home.

trapper, thank you very much. Your generosity will take much of the sting out of the loss he incurred. Really, this is great.

Q (12131) and Dave Truong, thank you as well for your constant generosity. I would have thought that after more than two decades running this place, I would no longer be surprised by the selflessness displayed by you and others but I am glad to say that my faith is ever-renewed.

There's more to this and I'll get to it later today. We're going to have some fun, but for now, I wanted to express my gratitude. Smile

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Dorothy says "there is no place like home" but I say "there is no place like the SIGforum".

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear of the excellent result

I'm active on maybe a half dozen forums [the rest all being automotive], maybe 3-4 regularly & this place is the most unique in its membership's willingness to go out of their way to help.
From the vast content experts in various fields & their willingness to offer support [despite some giving non-expert bad advice] to the financial & tangible outpourings we've seen over the years.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I can say in all honesty that SIGforum is the only place I know of where the generosity flows at this level, and so freely.

Para, you're not alone in that observation. I've been online since the initial days of FidoNET, Sysop'ed for a west coast PCUG, and have been a moderator for several large boards (e.g bladeforums) in my day. This place stands uniquely at the top of the pile period. A tribute to the leadership and membership here.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post