SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to record music off of Youtube?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to record music off of Youtube? Login/Join 
posted
Hi guys, can anybody here recommend a program to record music from Youtube? I've come to realize that the band Tool does not allow any sites like iTunes, Spotify, etc to download their music. CD's are still available but I don't have a cd player in my truck. I'm looking for a program that would allow me to somehow get the songs onto my iPhone so that I may listen to their music away from my computer. Thanks

Posts: 219 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Youtube to MP3.
Be carful and don't click the wrong download link.

Past in address and convert.
Then click the correct download button.
*edit*
I see they've fixed it.
You have download, Dropbox and Convert Next.
Sometimes it would redirect but with the Mac, it was harmless.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Youtube to MP3.

*edit*
I see they've fixed it.

I appreciate your response because I was going to post the same question. However, your directions are as clear as mud.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Youtube to MP3.

*edit*
I see they've fixed it.

I appreciate your response because I was going to post the same question. However, your directions are as clear as mud.

There are websites that will convert videos to various music formats. You copy the Youtube video page URL and paste it into the box. I suppose it gives a choice of where to save to (I guess if you have a Dropbox account, or maybe to your PC desktop).

There are also plug-ins for browsers (search online for one compatible with your browser) that will download videos. You would need something like Audacity to split the audio and convert to your format of choice (mp3, AAC, etc.).

Posts: 5759 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
https://youtubedownloader.com/

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7659 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Youtube to MP3.

*edit*
I see they've fixed it.

Umm, my link didn't transfer.

https://ytmp3.cc/

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I’ll give it a try

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Why don't you buy the CD and rip it to iTunes instead of downloading it royalty free?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Why don't you buy the CD and rip it to iTunes instead of downloading it royalty free?

Because I don’t know how to do that. I’m not even sure if I have the patience to figure out how to record from YouTube.

Posts: 219 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If you have a computer with a CD drive, or access to an external CD drive, it's simple.

Buy the CD, insert it into your computer's CD drive. Open iTunes if it doesn't open automatically. You should see the CD near the top of the left window. I think it shows CDs in the "Devices" section, IIRC. Right click it and select "Import to iTunes." iTunes will rip it down to your library, where it will be like any other song you've purchased. By default, iTunes will rip them as AAC files, but you can change that to mp3 in preferences. Eject the CD, sync the files to your iPhone, and you're done.

iTunes was built when Apple purchased a software program called SoundJam MP. SoundJam was originally a program for converting CD's to mp3s on the original Macintosh 680x0 based systems back in the 90s. Once you strip away all the crap from iTunes, you'll find the original core purpose was to convert CDs, which it still retains the ability to do.

If you don't have a CD drive but have a buddy with a PC with one, there are also a crap-ton of shareware programs to do this on a Windows machine as well. You could rip the redbox audio files from the commercial CD to mp3 on a Windows machine, copy them to a USB drive, and import them back to iTunes.

Ripping from a CD would be easier than trying to get them out of YouTube, and will give you a better quality file.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to the page of the video.
Eg: "www.youtube.com/somevideo"

add 'pp' to the end of youtube.com
"www.youtubepp.com/somevideo"

That will redirect you to y2mate.com.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I doubt that YouTube audio is the same quality as that on a CD/DVD.

That said, I have a program called Piezo on my Mac that lets me capture the audio from any specific program running on my computer. Thus, I can record my weekly radio broadcast from Firefox while surfing with Chrome, and no sounds from Chrome (or any other program) will interfere with what's coming through Firefox.

I record at a high sample rate, but that doesn't mean the audio from YouTube is also a high sample rate. I do record backing tracks from YouTube that I can then use to play guitar along to. For my purposes, they sound fine.

Piezo is commercial software ($19) from Rogue Amoeba. Mac only.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use youtube-dl to download the complete video. On a Mac or other unix machine, it is command line with a ton of switches for download format, etc. It requires a Python interpreter to run, but they also provide a Windows executable that includes the Python bits. If you want just the audio, you can then use other tools (such as Handbrake) to extract that.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Probably worth mentioning that downloading the music from youtube and listening is stealing the music. Buying the CD and ripping it for your own use is not.

If you have to learn a process, why not learn the one where the artists actually get some reimbursement for their creations. in other words, ripping a CD you purchased.

If you like their music pay them for it.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post