SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to look at a boat Friday.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to look at a boat Friday. Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
When I consider the worst case scenario for repairs 2-3 years down the road as well as how much total I would have invested it makes me want to spend more upfront to get a better boat that is more likely to last.

I REALLY like the hull on this Regal. Now to convince the wife that the super affordable bayliner is actually not a good choice.....

I mean look at it. It does have the EXACT layout she wanted. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Easy, buy it, name it after her, take her to the boat for a cruise at sunset with a bottle of champagne (or her favorite libation), reveal her boat and take the consequences of forgiveness.. Big Grin

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post

I purchased this 2002 Glastron off a farmer a few years back for 10k. Had a custom tower with permanent canopy, 5.0 Volvo (Chevy 305), Volvo SXT outdrive, Corsa captain call exhaust. The boat had been kept inside near most of its life. I never had any issues with it. I had to keep it outside but it was covered. Was a real pain in the ass to uncover and cover it back once home. Because of the steep grade of my driveway you had to get the cover just right or water would pool or make it's way into the boat itself. I ended up selling it to a buddy for 14k. He even offered to let me use it whenever I wanted but I doubt I would.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Easy, buy it, name it after her, take her to the boat for a cruise at sunset with a bottle of champagne (or her favorite libation), reveal her boat and take the consequences of forgiveness.. Big Grin

OK, that brings up another issue: IMO, if a boat is capable of being put on a trailer and hauled down a highway without a special permit, it is not large enough to be named. Smile

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Easy, buy it, name it after her

Nice. Then you can tell your friends if they bring a 6-pack, they can go for a ride on your wife.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well, you could always name her Dottie... Big Grin

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWE_8zDVA-k

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I REALLY like the hull on this Regal. Now to convince the wife that the super affordable bayliner is actually not a good choice.....

That shouldn't be too tough... tell her to page through this thread. Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BOAT: Noun: A hole in the water in which to throw money.

Posts: 232 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WCCPHD:
BOAT: Noun: A hole in the water in which to throw money.

BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I've heard owning a Bayliner as being like getting a BJ from an ugly woman. Feels pretty good until your friends see you with her/it.

When I bought my 1984 Correct Craft Ski Nautique that is going on its 34th season of use and appears to have another 30 years left in it, I joked I could have bought 2 Thundrcraft boats for the same money. My conclusion was that I sure got a great deal on my CC since it is worth the price of at least 3 Thundercraft boats.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I greatly appreciate all the input and advice. I’m still planning on looking at that Bayliner tomorrow. I have a nice list of questions and I think the seller is motivated and tired of all the calls/messages and complete lack of follow up. It could be a EXTREMELY CHEAP way to get on the lake often for a few years. No, I’m not planning on buying it but at the right price who knows. I’d rather spend triple and get a good deal on a Regal 2200 but that’s a damn hard sell with the wife.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Best ski boat we've owned, at least the one we enjoyed the most, was a 21' Maxum, which is the upper end line made by the Bayliner folks.

You'll like that 22' length when there's a little bit of chop out there on the lake. The 5.0 will give you plenty of get up and go, just maintain it religiously and you should do fine. Enjoy.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
I've heard owning a Bayliner as being like getting a BJ from an ugly woman. Feels pretty good until your friends see you with her/it.

When I bought my 1984 Correct Craft Ski Nautique that is going on its 34th season of use and appears to have another 30 years left in it, I joked I could have bought 2 Thundrcraft boats for the same money. My conclusion was that I sure got a great deal on my CC since it is worth the price of at least 3 Thundercraft boats.

I like the 1984....we had an 85 (The 2001 model) and then a 92. Great boats and held value!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I think the hull Correct Craft called the 2001 hull spanned from 1982 until 1989.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
be darn careful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYX1rIe3SaQ

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:

That is the exact boat I coveted when I was a teenager on the slalom scene. I was in my ratty K Craft, and a stranger offered to give me a pull behind a Ski Nautique. This was about 1986, and it was my first experience behind a tournament boat. I later ended up with a Prostar just by chance. IMO, Mastercraft and Correct Craft are the king of the mountain when talking tournament boats.

I’m turning 50 this year, and last week I was up on my slalom behind the Prostar. While getting some great cuts over that flat wake, I was reminded of what a pleasure the Prostar and Nautique class boats are to ski behind. And fast, boy was that flat wake fast! We’re a dying breed. Kids only want to surf nowadays because slalom is too much work.

Great boat. Your 1984 is now a classic.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
BOAT

Break

Out

Another

Thousand

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Break Out Another Thousand...
If you can fly it or float it, it's cheaper to rent!

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post