SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to look at a boat Friday.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to look at a boat Friday. Login/Join 
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
The trailer probably weighs about 1000-1200 pounds. Personally, I wouldn't want to tow anything at the maximum tow rating. That is, if the manufacturer says 5000 lbs, I wouldn't feel safe with anything over 4000 lbs. Think about braking, and how long the trailer is compared to the tow vehicle. You have to consider winds on the highway (like when an 18 wheeler is encountered) and what type of anti-sway system the tow vehicle has on it. Compounding matters is the vehicle's payload capacity. When you load it up with people and gear, and then add the tongue weight of the boat/trailer, you will probably be over what can safely be towed.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Anything that heavy should have working trailer brakes, so I don’t think that’s the problem. It mostly has to do with the drivetrain, and the ability of the transmission/clutch to handle the weight. You can effectively increase the tow rating with an external transmission cooler, and also by not trying to be the first vehicle up every long grade. This gives the transmission more time to loose heat through the radiator heat exchanger.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
RUN from the Yamaha and seadoo jetboats.

Funny story about Yamaha jet boats. Guy and his wife were finishing-up securing their shiny new Yamaha after hauling it out at the launch a few summers ago, so I wandered over to ask them about it. It had lower top speed than our 20+ year old I/O-driven single-engine boat Smile

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Are Maxim boats any good?

Dunno.

quote:
Our tow vehicle is limited to a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. That Bayliner 22 footer I looked at had a dry weight of 3700 lbs. Even with the trailer and fluids/fuel a 22ft boat similar to that Bayliner shouldn’t be too heavy for our tow vehicle. Right?

Part that question will depend upon whether the trailer is steel or aluminium, fuel tank capacity, and other loading.

A steel trailer for a 22' boat could weigh 1,000 lbs or more. That would put you at ±4700 lbs.

Gasoline weighs ±6 lbs/gal, depending upon composition. So a 30 ga. tank, like our 18-footer has, full, would add another ±180 lbs.

You're now up to 4880 lbs., and that's w/o passengers or any other gear.

That would be a nope.

I believe the common recommendation is to go no higher than 75% of rated towing capacity, but ICBW. I would certainly never go to 100%. That's just asking for trouble.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I believe the common recommendation is to go no higher than 75% of rated towing capacity, but ICBW. I would certainly never go to 100%. That's just asking for trouble.

Don't the automobile engineers that come up with tow ratings already take that into account? I would trust the engineers. If a manufacturer says it can tow 5,000 lbs, I would think it can tow 5,000 lbs safely.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:

Don't the automobile engineers that come up with tow ratings already take that into account? I would trust the engineers. If a manufacturer says it can tow 5,000 lbs, I would think it can tow 5,000 lbs safely.

You do as you wish, but, back when I was spending a lot of time in forums where these kinds of things are discussed on a regular basis, the common recommendation is to stay well below the vehicle's rated capacity.

The last thing you want in a towing situation is the tail wagging the dog.

Worst-case scenario: Say you're going down-hill, on a hot day, on a hillside curve, and have to make a panic stop. Are you sure you'd want to be a maximum towing capacity in such a situation?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are Maxim boats any good?

Our tow vehicle is limited to a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. That Bayliner 22 footer I looked at had a dry weight of 3700 lbs. Even with the trailer and fluids/fuel a 22ft boat similar to that Bayliner shouldn’t be too heavy for our tow vehicle. Right?

Maxims quality is equal to bayliner. It's going to be REALLY close, you're going to want an aluminum trailer and that's going to be probably 600-900 lbs for a boat that size depending on if you go with a single axle or double (I'd highly recommend a double axle), then you've got fuel at 7lbs a gallon...… and gear.

I'd look at a dual console fishing type boat with an outboard as someone else mentioned. Many brands made those and resale value is typically less than center consoles.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
The last thing you want in a towing situation is the tail wagging the dog.

Been there, done that. Ended up with both truck and trailer upside down.
I believe the industry term for that is, um, "BAD". Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the common recommendation is to stay well below the vehicle's rated capacity

I wouldn't understand that in any context. The mfg publishes a tow rating. It will have all kinds of conditions like optional equipment needed, GVW constraints, axle loadings, etc. It is fully safe to tow within that rating and those conditions as far as the tow vehicle is concerned. But driving trailers safely is an actual skill and that's actually outside the question of tow rating. Allowing adequate braking distance and reasonable road speeds, etc. that's the driver, not the vehicle. The design and loading of the trailer is also outside that issue. I have zero concerns towing at max allowable mfg. weights and do it for tens of thousands of miles per year.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well....even though I’ve had a few second thoughts about that bayliner this video made me realize I did the right thing. What a nightmare!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/kopF4muvF0c

I have done a bit of research on Regal’s 2200 bowrider and I really like it. Stepped hull, composite stringers and good build quality. They are in my proc range too but at the top of our vehicles towing capacity. Probably not over it but close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How far are you planning towing?

I don't know, but my understanding is that stepped hulls on 22' boats are a gimmick.

Posts: 10946 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Bryant Boats
No Wood No Rot
Smile

quote:
Link to original video: https://youtu.be/kopF4muvF0c

To really grasp what a mess it is you have to go to his second and third videos. At some point, you just give that one away.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Trapper189,

Gimmick or not it’s a sweet looking hull design and they don’t use any wood so a Regal 2200 is near the top of my list. It is also well within my budget.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The main lake I’d be towing to is about 1 hour away and 95% interstate driving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
... but at the top of our vehicles towing capacity. Probably not over it but close.

From Tow Capacity Math:
quote:

Experts suggest that the weight of the fully loaded boat/trailer be no more than 85 percent of the tow capacity to allow a reasonable payload in the truck.

You can argue with BoatUS' "Experts suggest" if you like. (At least one individual in this discussion likely will.) But BoatUS is pretty highly regarded in the recreational boating world, so I'd think twice.

The math for the boat you're looking at: Boat (dry weight): 3700 lbs. Trailer (low est.): 800 lbs. Total (empty): 4500 lbs.

Vehicle towing capacity: 5000 lbs.

You're at 90% of towing capacity with a dry boat, incl. empty tank, no coolers aboard, etc. and no passengers or cargo in the tow vehicle.

Have you thought about lowering your sights a bit, to, say, a 20' boat?

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Realistically, with a 5.0-5.7L V8 would a 19-20 ft boat be that much lighter?

The 20ft version of the Regal I like is 300 lbs lighter. Not a huge difference. My main worry is whether it’ll fit in my garage. The 22ft version might not depending on the trailer. I believe a 20 ft Regal would fit easily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Here is my thinking. I’d rather find the biggest boat we can get and make work. The 22 footer is pretty big and has an exquisite layout.

We are likely to upgrade from the highlander to a sequoia or Tundra in a year or two. If we can get by with the highlander for a while the prospect is tempting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Life's too short to drive an ugly boat and steps look cool.

Posts: 10946 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
... and steps look cool.

Are you referring to those longitudinal "steps" in the lower hull? Those are called "strakes."

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
... and steps look cool.

Are you referring to those longitudinal "steps" in the lower hull? Those are called "strakes."

No. It's hard to make out in this picture that stick posted 5 or so posts back, but I'm talking about the gaping gap in the back half of the hull.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I love how they look.

Yikes. Eek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~