SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Most durable floors...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most durable floors... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I need to replace my floors due to the recent unplanned for aquatic event. I had engineered hardwood, and they were getting scratched and gouged up by the dogs nails. I am thinking of getting a laminate or something, as there is no point in putting down the same stuff to be all scratched and gouged by dogs in a couple of years again.

Is PERGO durable? I am also looking at some aquaguard laminate stuff that claims to be scratch resistant.

Anyone have experience with different flooring?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat ceramic tile for durability

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Price is a concern...isn't ceramic tile pricey?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of replacing the floors in my kitchen and bathroom. I also have dogs. I was told by the flooring guy to get either Engineered Vinyl Plank (EVP) or Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP). Yes, ceramic is best but is very expensive and time consuming to put in. I'm in the process of getting my house ready for sale next summer.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Doing our kitchen,laundry room and now living room. Using all the laminate lock together wood looking type flooring. Looks fantastic and while not cheap it's not crazy expensive. Ceramic is nice but labor intensive so therefore expensive. Also makes for a cold floor if you have winter months. So you need lots of rugs which covers up your expensive ceramic work.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced most of my vinyl flooring with ceramic tile. It was worth it. The other stuff does not hold up and you have trouble when it gets wet. The vinyl flooring I had stained and got dented over time. Dropped a can and bingo a big problem. You can replace one ceramic tile if needed. Just get enough tile so some is left over for that.

I left carpeting in the master bedroom. Allergy problems are WAY down.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I just finished tiling my entire 1st floor. Prices ranged from $1.50 sq/ft to about $4 sq/ft. I installed it. It took forever, one room at a time,
but is well worth it

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put Armstrong LVT is my kitchen, hall, two baths and laundry room. Fairly expensive, about $5 per sq ft + install if I recall. It has been in about 1.5 years and we love it. It is a weathered barn style plank. I wanted to put hardwood in, but my wife wouldn't hear of it, too much work and too big a possibility of water damage and scratches. We put this right over the white ceramic tile that she hated. We have had zero squeaks, zero movement in it, zero issues.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We picked out vinyl a while ago and I got samples from all the stores. I then scratched each sample deeply to see if the color what just on the surface or through the product. I also submerged each sample under water for 24 hours and then examined them afterwards.

About half were okay being under water, but only one sample looked okay after a deep scratch. I'd recommend ignoring any sales talk and doing a similar test before buying.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put Armstrong "Luxe Plank" LVT is my kitchen, hall, two baths and laundry room 2 years ago. Fairly expensive, about $5 per sq ft + install if I recall. we love it. It is made with a rigid PVC substrate and a cork backing for noise reduction. Water will not hurt it and it is quiet to walk on. Doesnt sound like the cheaper LVT products that always sound hollow when you walk on them. We put this right over the white ceramic tile that she hated. We have had zero squeaks, zero movement in it, zero issues. Plus, if you drop a glass on it you have a good chance it won't break. Ceramic is guaranteed to break it.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Laminate floors are almost indestructable in my experience but unplanned aquatic events aren't usually kind to them.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Polished concrete Big Grin

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Polished concrete

I know some people who have that along with concrete countertops. Too industrial for me.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Most durable floor? Terrazzo? Lots of houses down here have it.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
We already had tile in the common areas and just replaced all the carpet with this Marazzi porcelain tile. It has the look and texture of wood. There are less expensive solutions but we're very happy.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Polished concrete Big Grin

Along with all the issues that come with concrete over time.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
We covered our entire house with Karndean LVF 4 years ago and love it. It's easily endured 2 active Labs (and the water they drag around from their water dish) and visitors are still amazed to discover it's not real wood. However, it is a glue-down requiring a very smooth surface which is an extra cost. It has been the perfect solution for our lifestyle.

That said, we're looking at rustic wood-look tile as flooring for a small apartment and have found examples we like from $1.99 to $5.90 sq.ft. During our search we've heard we should stick with porcelain and a PEI rating of at least 4 for durability. (Hopefully a flooring expert will stop in and give a professional's opinion on that.)

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
garage floor epoxy?

it's not always pretty but it can take a beating.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Porcelain tile. Shit is indestructible. I have dogs and why I went this route. Whole house sans two bedrooms.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My wife has finally convinced me to do an acid stained concrete (if I have that right) for the floor.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post