SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Most durable floors...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most durable floors... Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Porcelain tile. Shit is indestructible. I have dogs and why I went this route. Whole house sans two bedrooms.

I’m going this route with tiles that look like wood.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put in Timberclick from Floor and Decor 3 years ago. It’s 5/8” solid oak at $5/sf and I glued it on place for $1.25-1.50/sf. We have a Lab and it holds up well

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Laminate floors are almost indestructable in my experience but unplanned aquatic events aren't usually kind to them.

This, Laminate floors (cheap ones under $1 sq foot) are incredibly durable for the money, pair them with an excellent underlayment at less than $1 foot and they last. Ceramic tile is the best for durability but very expensive to install. I have laminate in 2 bedrooms with a 100lb Rottweiler/Doberman. One floor is from 2002 and shows no wear at all from the dog or anything. The other is 2015 because well the old one got flooded for 1 night, and even though I dried it immediately the next day and put blowers and such, it warped a little along a lot of the seams.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
We just put down LVP flooring that looks like wood laminate. It's a duller look than the wood laminates or real wood floor, but it is VERY forgiving for having dogs. The LVP is not forgiving when it comes to furniture being moved across it, it will scratch easily but what we have is colored throughout the plank so it's not THAT noticeable. You can find pens that match the colors to fix the scratches, but I've never used them.
Overall, I'm pleased with the results. The only downside I've noticed is that with us living on a dirt road and having the dogs, the dust builds up quickly. I'm sure it was there on the carpet before, just not noticeable. We both seem to be breathing easier and not staying sick with upper respiratory illnesses like we did before.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have Shaw laminate with a 30 yr warranty. It looks like hand scraped planks and our 60lb lab has not made a mark. No marks from moving living room furniture or kitchen chairs at the table and bar. In 18 months of kitchen use including a spaghetti sauce disaster, no water damage. However we do clean spills up quickly.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redleg06:
We already had tile in the common areas and just replaced all the carpet with this Marazzi porcelain tile. It has the look and texture of wood. There are less expensive solutions but we're very happy.

Very nice

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We used ceramic tile throughout the house we built here in AZ. It is very durable, and easy to clean up dog messes (or our messes). If you want wood and a traditional, durable floor, quarter-sawn white oak t&g.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Looks like porcelain wood look tile is the winner. Wife is just concerned about transitions to our carpet but it appears to be the best choice.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Polished concrete

I know some people who have that along with concrete countertops. Too industrial for me.

I'm in that group, and love it, but it's not for everyone.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
You should look into Cali Bamboo, this stuff is indestructible. You can get it engineered or solid board. I must warn you, it is a bit on the pricey side, but worth every penny if you want a beautiful, durable floor.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post